Why the hell is turkey in this forum

Discussion in 'Greece & Cyprus' started by Sneaky Greeky, Feb 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thodorisgr77

thodorisgr77 New Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Athens

:) You forgot Egaleo FC last year in UEFA Cup :D :p

2. DemmahoM

DemmahoM Member

Apr 1, 2005
    New Haven CT
    Club:
    --other--
    Well if you want to be political then Turkey should belong in the Middle East forum. :D

3. HakanGS

HakanGS Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Texas & Turkiye
    Club:
    Galatasaray SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Turkey
    According to what kind of politics? Arabic politics?

4. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    Except of course, then we'd be lumping Turkey in with the Arabs, which they aren't--they're Turkic. Just like most of the former members of the Soviet Union mentioned earlier. Part of Turkey is in Europe, part in Asia. The former Soviet republics largely choose to compete in UEFA, not Asia.

Given what has been going on in the Middle East in the past few years, I'm glad a few countries are looking to integrate west--even if it is in something as non-political/ideological as soccer.

5. DemmahoM

DemmahoM Member

Apr 1, 2005
    New Haven CT
    Club:
    --other--

Nope, Turkey is considered to be in the Mid East region.

6. alarm - redded

alarm - redded New Member

Jul 22, 2005
    yes, turkey, iraq,iran, israel... those deserts countries are considered Middle East I think.

7. DemmahoM

DemmahoM Member

Apr 1, 2005
    New Haven CT
    Club:
    --other--

I didn't know YOU can do that? :eek:

8. Lurchador

Lurchador New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    Vancouver, Canada
    Ever since Ataturk established the secular, western-influenced and inspired Turkish Republic in 1923, Turkey has been more European than Asian... regardless whether other Europeans like it or not.

This is the 21st Century where all barriers between historical / geographical / racial mentalities can be broken down and tossed into the garbage heap of society. After all, if Mozambique (a former Portuguese colony in Africa) is now part of the British Commonweath, anything is possible.

Thus spoke a North American

9. necro

necro New Member

Aug 2, 2004
    USA
    Man so many ignorant people ( desert countries like Turkey ??????) where is the desert you morons !! Turkey is in Europe as Russia or soviet Union was...Israel is not in europe I would question that but Turkey is in Europe.

10. Slitty

Slitty Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Russia
    Geographically, Turkey is in Asia.
    Geographically, Israel is in Asia.
    Geographically, Armenia, Azerbaijan, and Georgia are in Europe.
    Geographically, Latvia, Lithuania, and Estonia are in Europe.
    Geographically, Ukraine, Belarus, and Moldova are in Europe.
    Geographically, Kazahstan is in Asia.
    Geogaphically, Uzbikistan, Tajikistan, Kygryzstan and Turkmenestan are in Asia.
    Geographically, Russia is in both Asia and Europe, yet demographically the vast majourity of the population resides in Europe.

Why Isreal, Turkey and Kazahstan out of those choose to break their geographhical allocation, I dont know. Politics, prestiege, culture, or just plain not being happy to be associated with where their country is are good guesses. Hats of to Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Kyrgystan, and Turkmenestan for staying where they belong though.

11. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Actually Turkey is Geographically in both Europe and Asia, about 5% of their area is in Europe (that is about the size of Slovenia).

12. loraz

loraz New Member

May 12, 2005
    Oh well...whatever.

I love Turkish Coffee and I love there new coach even better;)

Turkia numbero Uno, can't wait till they play Ecuador

YYYEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH babee

13. HakanGS

HakanGS Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Texas & Turkiye
    Club:
    Galatasaray SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Turkey
    The best way to put it:
    Europe and Asia are in Turkey :)
    Turkey has defined/ defines/will define Europe and Asia :)
    Only one thing united Europeans: Turks
    Turks will unite them again :)

14. wumeth2

wumeth2 New Member

Sep 17, 2005
    so if china got bored one day and said it wanted to be part of europe, it would be ok?

im sorry but israel and turkey aren't european, not geografically, culturally,religiously or in language.they are asian. everybody knows this.

and i don't see how having 5% of the country in europe makes the whole country europe also. you can't be both. you're either one or the other, which in this case is the other (asian).

now, if the small portion of turkey wanted to separate from the asian side and join the european continent, that would be fine and dandy. But that's never going to happen. And anyways if they did join nobody would really accept them in europe so theres no point in that.

Be proud of your asian/middle eastern heritage. There's no shame in it. :)

15. HakanGS

HakanGS Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Texas & Turkiye
    Club:
    Galatasaray SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Turkey
    5% in continental Europe but about 13-15 million people live in that portion, that makes about 20% of Turkey's population and also bigger population than many of the EU countries. Also, still a land bigger than some EU countries too. Also, that portion is home to cultural, economic and industrial center of Turkey.
    Well historically, the Ottoman Empire ruled southeastern Europe hundreds of years.
    This issue is not simple, it is complicated. But here is the bottomline: I think views of people who have not really been to Turkey do not count.

16. Slitty

Slitty Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Russia
    I beg to differ on your last point.

If three bigshots from Fifa + Uefa + AFC or some combination of those football bodies got together and decided to kick Turkey out of Uefa and into the AFC on both club and international levels without ever visiting the country... well... their opinion would count more than of everyone who has EVER been to Turkey.

Yet, the Turkish Football Union (or whatever makes football decisions in Turkey) has the last say currently I suspect.

17. Slitty

Slitty Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Russia
    And BTW, have some rep HakanGS... excellent info!
    I had no idea so much of Turkey's population/infrastructure was based in the rather small European section, thanks for enlightening me.

18. NeRoN_FB

NeRoN_FB New Member

Oct 1, 2005
    Adana,TURKEY
    Tukey is in Europe because of:
    -Euro 2000 = Quarter finalist
    -UEFA = Turkey plays UEFA status
    -Eurovision 2003 = Eurovision Champion
    -EuroBasket 2001 = Finalist
    -UEFA Cup And Super Cup = G.Saray won this cups...(unfortunately!! :D hehe only joke)
    and etc...............

19. Sneaky Greeky

Sneaky Greeky New Member

Oct 12, 2004
    Kozani, Hellas
    i dont want them out because they win european things, Greece is defending champs on all of those events/competitions, they are an asian nation run by their military, i think thats the only reason they are considered european, NATO wants there army and gave them a false label and i dont like it, kick those losers out

20. soccaman

soccaman New Member

Nov 16, 2005
    Is Greece in Europe? :eek:
    Turks are not Europen by language? :D only a moron could say this...
    Armenia in Europe, Turkey in Asia geographically... double moron ;)

21. Sneaky Greeky

Sneaky Greeky New Member

Oct 12, 2004
    Kozani, Hellas
    cant follow your stupidity, greece is in europe, no language is european, your speech is to fuccing stupid to follow, and i cant

22. soccaman

soccaman New Member

Nov 16, 2005
    of course you cant walnut brained! you are making politics on football.. how can you?

23. Nor84

Nor84 New Member

Sep 3, 2005
    Hellas
    Armenia, Georgia, Azerbaijan and all those Ex-Soviet states are NOT Europeans geographicly.

Turkey became European when they took over Greece's land.
    Before that, they were not geographicly European.

24. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    Okay.. Now we will discuss Cyprus.. ;)

25. Nor84

Nor84 New Member

Sep 3, 2005
    Hellas
    I admit it,
    Saying Cyprus is European is like saying Australia is European.
    Yes its people are European, but not its land.