Why the F not... January 2018 Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by chjoak, Sep 18, 2017.

1. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I disagree with this strongly.

But even if what you believe is true, Wenger signed all of those players.

daedalus, cantona94, Fifty and 1 other person repped this.
  2. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Lmao YOU MEAN TO SAY

3. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We all love what wenger did and admire the man but when u are passed your sell by date u cannot defend them anymore

4. Boondock

Boondock Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Looking at last 5 years of transfers (I got lazier near the end of the list)...

Laca - poor buy, if it was going to happen it should have happened several years ago, particularly given the price we paid for him and the fact that Auba was signed shortly thereafter.

Auba - could be a decent purchase, but I would not at all be surprised if this also turns out to be a poor buy, which means we would need to spend another 50-100 mil on a replacement striker in a couple years (should neither Laca nor Auba pan out) - it is a poor buy in the sense that we needed other positions filled

Mhki - poor swap, Mhki will not cut it for us when it matters and given the swap with Sanchez (which will make United the overall winners in the swap) it will be even worse - Mhki also screams a typical Arsenal signing - will be further exposed as being "mentally weak" in the near future

Mavroponos/Kolasinc - cheap/free buys - but neither will likely pan out to be starter for Arsenal (though Saed has a much better chance IMO), so these players won't ultimately add much if anything to our team

Xhaka - poor buy, not the player we needed and a lot of money was spent on him - seems mentally weak like Mkhi will turn out to be - also inconsistent like most Arsenal players currently

Mustafi - decent buy, actually the best buy compared to any of the above players - so I'll say it was a good decision to purchase Mustafi

Perez - terrible buy, always knew he would never amount to much - even if Wenger had given him more playing time, Perez would have only confirmed he was not starting quality

Holding - better buy than Mavropolos IMO, but very much one for the future - should not have started any important games for us for at least 2-3 years - but alas that is not our way - perhaps he is starting quality for a top Championship side

Cech - decent buy at the time, probably the second best purchase in the past 3 years next to Mustafi

Elneny - poor buy, not starting quality, was never that good, very much a perpetual substitute (or at least he should be)

Iwobi (not a buy) - much like Holding, should not be starting games, very much one for the future, but given the game time he has received thus far and the limited improvement in any of his skills (arguably), I don't think he will actually pan out to be anything more than a perpetual substitute for a team with serious ambitions

Welbeck - shit buy, United's trash being sold to us, good guy but poor footballer in this context

Sanchez - obviously a good buy but we know what happened with this one..

Chambers - poor buy, dont think he will ever be starting quality

Gabriel - poor buy

Debuchy - poor buy

Ozil - good buy

So in the past 5 years, there have been maybe 3-5 good buys.

In the same time period we lost Giroud to a direct rival, Sanchez to a direct rival, Chamberlain to a direct rival, Coq (one of our truest DMs, despite his overall quality), Sczc (when we need a new, younger GK), and Gnabry (which I believe was stupid).

How many actual starting quality players do we have? Ozil, Laca/Auba (I'll combine them as one), Ramsey/Wilshere (I'll also combine them as one, depending on the other mids playing), and maybe Mustafi? Which means we still need another 5-6 top class players. Title challenge still 2-3 years away assuming we make very good purchases in the next 3-4 windows, lose Wenger, and keep all the players who at least would be decent off the bench. Given that we will lose some players, this means closer to 3 years for a genuine title challenge.

5. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    To be fair, many of these buys could be doing better in a better system under a better manager.

Kolasinac, for example, was voted best LB in the Bundesliga last year. There's a good player in there.

Xhaka as well, was very highly rated there, but is currently playing like a mid-table player. He has obvious weaknesses in his game, and we need a manager who can further develop him. It is unfortunate that his weakness happen to be the one thing Wenger has never been able to teach his midfielders properly: defensive positioning and awareness.

As for the likes of Auba, Laca, and Miki, or practically any other attackers, are they failing because they are all individually poor, or because they're set up to fail? I've watch all most of the goals Aubameyang scored for Dortmund (thanks Youtube!) and he is extremely service reliant. Both Giroud and Laca suffered from the lack of it, so why would it be much better for him?

Romfordray, cantona94 and Fifty repped this.
  6. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

And therein lies the problem. We cannot use Ozil effectively enough in every game to shore up the supply routes. It could be because Ozil does not have the right players around him or because we have poor game planning going on. I blame Wenger for both. Think about this for a second, we have the best goalscorer of France and Germany along with German NT's #10. Yet we are not making much of those talents.

Fifty and LAgooner05 repped this.
  7. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    http://7amkickoff.com/index.php/2018/02/12/arsenal-are-just-a-6th-place-team-now/

- Our top shot taker is Ramsey at 2.6 shots a game. Laca gets 2.4. That's nothing. Kane gets 6 shots. Salah and Aguero gets 4.
    - Laca had 6 games with zero shots with Lyon lat season. He already has 10 this season with us.
    - In the 14 games since Dec 2nd, he only scored 2 goals, but in 9 of those games, he got 2 shots or less, 4 of which with zero shots.

Bottom line is, we suck at creating chances. But those of us who watch us regularly don't need stats to know that do we.

8. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  9. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham