why not Gomez?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by bct81, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Until we get such technology I believe he has done more than enough. :p

2. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless Klinsmann is a f*cking idiot, he will be calling up Herculez for the WC Qualifiers.

3. soccerdisciple

Mar 8, 2004
    He is taller than Messi.

4. j.asgard

j.asgard Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Time to give Hercules Gomez a try over Danny Williams.

Danny Williams started against Italy, but Hercules Gomez deserves his start now against Brazil before WC qualifying starts.

Herc's recent performances in Santos (Mexico) have been more noteworthy than William's at Hoffenheim (Germany).

5. LiverAndPineapple

May 7, 2008
    And Santos is the best team in Mexico. There is no way Klinsmann can justify not calling him up.

6. SoccerScottWV

SoccerScottWV Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Charleston,WV,USA
    You get that Williams and Gomez play different positions. So they aren't in competition with one another. Right?

Gomez is scoring like crazy. He needs to get the call in May.

7. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    No, due to Klinsmann they are in direct competition.

Gomez is a striker who is playing on the right of a 4-5-1 for Santos.
    Williams is a DM for Hoffenheim, who Klinsmann plays on the right of a 4-5-1 for the US.

It's completely illogical, but Gomez and Williams are in direct competition right now.

8. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    They are also competing with Landon Donovan and Freddy Adu. Might as well toss in Timothy Chandler since that is where he is now playing for his club.

Personally, I think Gomez works best as a second forward, the position Clint Dempsey has played in recent friendlies. I'd like to see him deputize for Dempsey in the upcoming friendlies. Maybe a half each against Scotland and Canada. I think Clint will play most if not all of the Brazil match.

9. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Yeah. To be fair to Klinsmann, he is going to have some very difficult squad decisions in May. I think even with the Olympic failure, the US player pool is in much better shape than it was 12 months ago.

10. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    I think the main takeaway from the Olympic debacle (along with a lot of lessons for/about Porter) is that some of the guys we were hoping were a little further along in the back (primarily Opara but also Kitchen to a lesser degree, as he's now being converted more to a DM) aren't going to be much help this cycle.

11. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    He has been a Def. Mid, and shown to be weak at CB since he was given a shot back there for DCU.

He's best as a def. mid.

12. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This guy just can't stop scoring!:eek:

13. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Gomez with a goal in the 30th in the champs league

14. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Always thought of Williams being used on the right of the 451 as just being about the lack of more orthodox options due to the absence of players like Donovan and Holden and Chandler.

15. SoccerScottWV

SoccerScottWV Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Charleston,WV,USA
    Williams was only played out wide for the extra defensive punch. No way he was expected to fuel the attack like a genuine attacking player would. You will not see Williams wide when we have all of our first choice guys available and are looking to attack. I don't know where that leaves Gomez, but I hate seeing a guy scoring the way he is not getting the call.

16. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes and I will be a broken record ....

Hey JK what do you think of Herc Gomez's performance? .......

Any thoughts of calling him up yet?

:D

17. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    But realistically he has to realize that he's in a situation where he has to compete with Buddle and Agudelo and Boyd and Bunbury.... LOL

18. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well from his twitter site it is pretty clear that folks are asking him why he is not calling him up .. one can only hope that JK thinks thru his logic about this.

It is certainly not like Gomez is whining and being pissy about it.

he is just scoring goals and collecting his paychecks.

20. Borrachin

Borrachin Member+

Feb 28, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL 2......It is Amazing that those guys are his competition and still hasn't been invited to 1 training, really no competition other than they are younger, but there is no age in GOALS. His current competition is Oribe Peralta, Darwin Quintero and sometimes Suarez and Ochoa, I think Herculez will be fine dealing with Buddle, Agudelo, Altidore and Bunbury.

21. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    I would be surprised if Gomez doesn't get a call, especially if his form continues. Sometimes it really is just timing. I mean, was he on fire like this when other call ups were being made? I think maybe he was just starting this run when the last chance to call him up came around. Again, anyone know more specifically?

22. GRUNT

GRUNT Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lake Oswego, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...aside from describing himself as a "former USNT player" on twitter.

I don't really see the point in doing that, unless he considers himself retired from international play, which would be ridiculous with Brazil two years away.

23. Adiaga Two

Adiaga Two Member+

Oct 4, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, he scored goals somewhat regularly with Tecos after that bad season with Pachuca. This was during the same time when Buddle was on-and-off (eventually off) at Ingolstadt and Agudelo was on the bench with Red Bull.

His hot streak now makes it that much more imperative, but (as many here have pointed out) he's pretty much always had a claim to a spot for the last year or so based on the weakness of his competition more than anything.

24. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Sadly, I don't think Klinsi rated him that high. At this point, he has no choice but to call him up! Better than Wondo!

25. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    High praise indeed!