why not Gomez?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by bct81, Oct 17, 2011.

1. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    He's 29. He's already been to a Mundial. Can't knock the man if he wants to retire from international football.

Pity he never really got much of run with the US considering he's achieved considerably more at club level than quite a number of strikers who have gotten plenty of minutes.

2. soccerFCUnited

Feb 29, 2008
    Interview Jared DuBois referenced on The Best Soccer Show http://nasn.tv/2012/herculez-gomez-on-the-best-soccer-show/

Fairly candid interview, one good quote in particular: "I don't consider myself part of any national team pool"

Disappointing to hear from a guy experiencing his best club form yet, here's hoping Klinsy takes a look.

3. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    If not for the Twitter comment shown on the last page, I wouldn't believe Gomez considers himself retired from the US. Because he doesn't flat out say in the radio interview that he will refuse all callups in the future, he just mentions that since he hasn't been getting callups from Klinsmann that he would rather focus on Santos.

4. TheNearPost

TheNearPost Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Disappointing to hear. His knack for being in the right place at the right time and finishing the chances created from such movement. That type of striker isn't something you breed in your backyard. I do think he has short comings in that he didn't possess any outstanding physical attributes and his technical skills, outside of actual finishing, didn't really make up for it ( the same way Dempsey's not physically outstanding but clearly knows his way around the sphere.), making him not quite as helpful in build-up play. Thats why I like Buddle. He's almost, if not just, as deadly as Gomez when he gets a chance, and can help with creating chances through hold-up play and all-round good control/passing.

That said, I don't think Gomez should retire, and a striker with the kind of nuances he shows is absolutely invaluable if you're really trying to spring a surprise on the opponent, whether it's off the bench or from the first whistle.

5. babieca

babieca Member

Jul 12, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed.

He didn't rule anything out. He is just realistic about his current situation. He's not getting called so he's doesn't consider himself in the pool.

6. GRUNT

GRUNT Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lake Oswego, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe you can't, but I will.

Regardless of relatively few minutes he saw in South Africa, if there is a chance of earning my way to a World Cup, not least one in Brazil, I don't effectively disconnect my phone.

This is hopefully just frustration on his part. And why not? If Klinnsman hasn't communicated intent to bring Herc in by now, he's losing the plot.

7. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I hope it's just a twitter thing he'll take back. He really could provide something for us right now for the NT.

8. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Sacha should give him a phone call and tell him not to lose hope.

9. GRUNT

GRUNT Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lake Oswego, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, but I simply can't believe watching Brazil on TV is what he wants. That tweet had to just be out of frustration. He needs to cool out, clearly state his desire to be a significant contributor in Brazil, and keep executing at his club. Tweets like that are almost as stupid as Klinnsman not calling him yet.

10. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I take it as someone who has struggled in the past to make a living as a professional soccer player and doesn't want distractions to his current situation which is pretty darn good for a professional footballer. He is 29, has made it through some significant knee injuries, so has to be thinking that he needs to be careful with the remaining years left to make money as a player. He says he is the type that is either "all in or all out" when it comes to something. Given the NT uncertainty and his mindset, I don't blame him for choosing "all out". Keeps him from wasting any mental energy on something he can't control and minimizes distractions from his club performance.

If something changes with JK in his view towards Herc, maybe Herc changes his views as well. Sounds like he is trying to be as realistic as possible.

11. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    It is fair to say that in Klinsmann's 4-5-1 system he doesn't usually need or call up that many strikers.

August - 24 players called up, 2 strikers (Agudelo, Buddle)
    September - 26 players, 3 strikers (Agudelo, Altidore, Bunbury)
    October - 23 players, 4 strikers (Agudelo, Altidore, Buddle, Bunbury)
    November - 21 players, 2 strikers (Agudelo, Buddle)
    January - 23 players, 4 strikers (Agudelo, Bunbury, Sapong, Wondo)

February - 23 players, 3 strikers (Altidore, Boyd, Buddle)

12. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, why is Klinsi biased against strikers...???...

;)

13. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Good question. I think he prefers Dempsey as a second forward to guys like Gomez. He also has given what I think are undeserved callups to Bunbury, a player I have found unimpressive with KC, with the U23s, and with the senior team. JK and Porter (and Bob Bradley) must see something there that I just don't get. To a lesser extent JK has also favored a couple other young unproven players (Agudelo and Boyd). But the real reason Gomez (and to some extent Wondo) have been left out in the cold is the usage of Dempsey as a second forward/attacking mid and the callups given to Bunbury. I'm not crazy about either Gomez or Wondo, but would take them over Bunbury.

As to the issue of putting more forwards and fewer mids in the lineup, I tend to be more sympathetic to JK's approach. As things currently stand, Gomez is in some ways competing indirectly with a trio of Bundeliga starters--Johnson, Chandler, Cherundolo. If we go with a two-forward lineup that includes Gomez--say Altidore and Gomez with Dempsey and Donovan at attacking mid, we have to leave one of those Bundesliga starters on the bench. I'm ok with taking a look at such a lineup in one of the three upcoming friendlies. I suspect, however, that our strongest lineup will be one with all three starting and Gomez on the bench.

14. xsosx

xsosx Member

May 27, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you read through further tweets and replies, it doesn't seem that it is 100% his choice. I think some of it is he just doesn't believe he will be called up again.

And...

15. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    That's what it sounds like to me.

16. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was never OK with the players who were OK on the bench. This tells me he is a competitor who believes he deserves to be there. Nothing more.

17. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the record, Gomez has gone on this run while playing primarily on the right side of Santos' 4-2-3-1. He's not playing as a striker.

18. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree - it is not out of frustration .. perhaps he just realizes that between Bradley Sr. and JK he is not going to get a good look ...

he has been performing at a superior level for three years now in the FMF ... and Bradley and JK barely give him the benefit of the doubt.

While you can argue that Altidore is playing and performing at a high level ... Agudelo, Wondo, Bunbury and Sapong all play in an inferior league compared to FMF. I am a MLS and DCU homer but FMF is just a better league - the CCL results continue to prove it ... and Herc has done a consistently excellent job per minute at putting the ball in the back of the net.

I just think JK and Bradley have it wrong.

19. bct81

bct81 Member+

United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe JK told him he is not in his plans ....

20. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So if Gomez gets a call for the Florida friendlies or the Olympics, will he take the opportunity, or deny it?

21. beamish

beamish Member+

Jul 6, 2009
    He says in the interview that he would never turn down a call up.

22. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haven't had time to listen to the interview, so that's good to know.

23. bct81

bct81 Member+

United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    If Klinsy does not call him up I will be very disappointed. What more can the guy do?

25. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Make himself 9 years younger and 4 inches taller.:rolleyes: