why not futsal courts in public parks?

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by RalleeMonkey, Nov 10, 2017.

1. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Many public parks have basketball courts and/or raquetball courts. Why don't cities install futsal courts?

Imo, USSF should design a standard court configuration for cities to refer to in putting in a futsal court, whenever a basketball court is put in. (not in the same space, obviously).

Design a durable metal futsal goal, with metal nets, like basketball nets in a park. And, lobby cities to pour a separate rectangular surface, same surface as would be used for a basketball court, but with futsal goals.

The USSF could start the push by paying for the installation themselves. Get the ball rolling. And, they could mandate that MLS teams install a certain number of futsal courts in their metropolitan area. I bet it would not be long until the futsal courts were getting more use than the basketball courts.

You want to grow the sport? Have Atlanta United install 20 futsal courts around the area. How much would one court cost? Maybe $10,000? It would be a $200,000 investment. And, if/when cities see them being used, it might stimulate cities to put them in, when building new parks - or even into older ones.

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  2. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    It's a good idea. But at the same time a lot of fenced-in basketball courts are naturally soccer ready. I think if we had a wide spread love of the game, courts would be in widespread use already, thus showing natural demand.

Kind of like public skate parks, which are relatively common these days, especially compared to twenty years ago. If the demand is there, the infrastructure will be too eventually. More challenging proposition to build with the eye of creating demand.

3. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    It's an investment in the future. One of the big gripes is that kids don't just play for fun. Give them a place to play.

If cities install them as part of parks, just as a matter of course, like basketball courts and racquetball courts, then there is no investment.

And, USSF paying to install some around the country, as a "proof of concept" would be a minor investment. If they are used, then you can show cities how much use they get and the cities start paying for them themselves. If they are not used, it's a pretty minor investment. But, I would bet they would be used. I bet kids are way more likely to informally gather to play on a futsal court than on a basketball court.

4. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USSF won't do it. Dead on arrival. They are only in it to line their own pockets. That's it.

5. jjmack

jjmack Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
  6. jjsoccer

jjsoccer New Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any idea how much it costs to have a futsal court built? I saw that there will be a lot of them being put up in NYC.

7. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I read somewhere that they sell for $25,000. But, that was a fancy thing with some kind of springy surface.

I'm talking about the same surface that a park basketball court is. Cement/concrete. Nothing fancy. It can't be much. And, seriously, in this day, if a city is building a park with a dedicated basketball area, how can they not include a dedicated, small sided soccer area. Same size as the basketball court.

8. jjsoccer

jjsoccer New Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks... and thats correct that any parks now should include futsal courts. 25 K is a lot so i am sure there are the basics to do cheap.