Why No Pink?

Discussion in 'Women's Fans and More' started by futuregrace, Apr 1, 2015.

1. futuregrace

futuregrace Member

Feb 23, 2002
    Manhattan, Kansas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My daughter loves soccer and loves pink. Can someone explain to me why no team in nwpl or wps or otherwise have used pink as a jersey color? Palermo in men's wear it, but seems like half the young girls in America would pick that team as their favorite.

2. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    NWSL:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    WPS:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. futuregrace

futuregrace Member

Feb 23, 2002
    Manhattan, Kansas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those look great, are they team colors or breast cancer awareness jerseys?

4. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    #4 holden, Apr 1, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
    I think Sky Blue FC's was for breast cancer, but it was the official 3rd jersey of Western New York Flash in 2013. You can still buy it in the NWSL Shop.

Also, I see you're a Dynamo fan and live in Kansas. Maybe you could go to the FCKC vs Houston Dash game on July 15th and learn to like a NWSL team even if they don't wear pink? :)

5. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I think the "problem" is that pink is still mostly viewed as a very "girly" color, and all these teams that are trying to be taken seriously and market themselves as professional organizations are staying away from that. This is exacerbated by the idea that, in order to grow, soccer teams really need to establish a fanbase that has a large 20-somethings mixed-gender component, because past experience has shown that trying to market to little girls and their families, while quite nice, isn't a sustainable model as it doesn't reall draw in potential season ticket holders/multi-game attendees.

Also, pink as a jersey color doesn't appear much in the current landscape because pink doesn't appear as a crest color either, and teams trying to keep their branding strong generally don't like using colors not on their crests - though Seattle has started moving away from that a bit this year, which is nice to see.

chungachanga repped this.
  6. futuregrace

futuregrace Member

Feb 23, 2002
    Manhattan, Kansas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Couldn't a team dual brand, Couldn't the dash have their typical logo and alternate logo like below? I'm a guy, consider myself masculine and wouldn't wear a pink jersey, but I'd buy two for my daughters and my wife would want one if they had the logo below.

image.jpg

7. futuregrace

futuregrace Member

Feb 23, 2002
    Manhattan, Kansas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jersey like this

DashPinkJersey.png

8. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    The Dash should change their colors to pink and bunny blue.
    That kit looks fantastic for a feminine kit.

9. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    It's because Allie Long has the exclusive rights to that color.

10. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    That makes sense. Also, many / most teams in most American sports seem to use pink part time, for cancer awareness or as lady kits. So it's a color that's a bit controversial and at the same time doesn't make you very unique.

I do love Palermo jerseys though! I hope some team eventually copies them into MLS or NWSL full time.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]