Why no lower league fans?

Discussion in 'Other Divisions' started by cmblfc, Sep 25, 2008.

1. IvanIV

IvanIV King of all He purveys

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because they are in a lower league? I can't make sense of this.
    If your not in the Prem... aren't you in a lower league?

Either way enjoy... ;)

2. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    "The lower divisions" has traditionally always meant Div 3 & Div 4 (or whatever they were called). Partly, I'd imagine, because obviously they were the lower half of the 4 divisions, and also because Divs 3 & 4 were later additions to the league structure. There's never been the major/minor league distinction that exists in the USA between the top division and the rest. That thinking was more reserved for the split between the top 4 divisions (profession "league" football) and the "non-league" semi-pro game below.

Saying that though, there has been a creeping tendency for some, even here, to refer to anything below the premier as "the lower divisions".

3. IvanIV

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AAhh.... As I've come to know them. But not by just being here. I referred to them that way on my own.

4. RichardL

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It is a very strange thing though, because even though there's a lot more attention to the premier league than their used to be, there's also vastly more attention given to the rest of the divisions as well. Buy a popular Sunday paper here and every single match in the top 4 divisions will have a match report. 20 years ago or so, and you'd have limited match reports from Div 2 on a regional basis, and just a brief round-up column of Divs 3 & 4. Non-league football pretty much wasn't covered at all.

Now the top 6 non-league divisions will be documented with match scores, crowds, scorers, goal times etc, with league tables, and sometimes, full match reports.

It's easy to accuse SKY of causing the split in thinking, promoting their league above the rest as if the rest don't exist, but the fact is they have the rights to the football league too, so it'd make no sense for them to paint it as small-time. And more curiously, it's the tabloids that give football below the premier league the best coverage by far. The "quality press" barely gives it a mention, often just picking out one non-premier match a week to report on.

5. act smiley

act smiley Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Cardiff
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    They're just 20 years behind on their demographics.

6. RichardL

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think partly it's their reader base. The tabloids will churn out pages and pages of football, with other sports barely given a mention. The broadsheets feel they have to cover other sporrts too, particularly rugby, which is more popular among their readership, and horseracing, which they'll actually carry reports and articles on.

7. Tony Dellbird

Tony Dellbird English and Proud

Mar 26, 2004
    Jolly Ol' England
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The local papers do it well, they seem to cover everything, even stuff I wouldn't consider a sport, like Snooker or Darts.

8. IvanIV

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everything is under the microscope now. And we've advanced haven't we?
    Good to see them be that thorough.

9. halifaxtown1961

halifaxtown1961 New Member

Aug 4, 2009
    I am new to this site & see there are no none league fans here.
    I am a FC HALIFAX TOWN fan...where are all the real fans gone ??

10. RichardL

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    welcome to the site etc, but as this site isn't aimed at the over 75s, there's no need for the large print.

11. halifaxtown1961

halifaxtown1961 New Member

Aug 4, 2009
    i only asked a question & you come on with insaults
    This site is crap anyway

12. Massey Ranger

Massey Ranger New Member

Oct 1, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Hi GUys,

just a quick hello found this site....

Im first team manager of Massey Ferguson FC from Coventry in England.

www.masseyfergusonfc.co.uk

ave a look at our site.

have fun :)

13. IvanIV

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not bad. thanks for sharing.
    from the front page i can see that you lot have been on a win streak of late. ;)

14. Massey Ranger

Massey Ranger New Member

Oct 1, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Hi IvanIV

thanks for lookin at the site... we have been playin well at the moment so fingers crossed we can keep it up.

you involved in football? play?

KK

15. IvanIV

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes! I coach my sons teams(3 different age groups) and I play.

16. whufc_tom

whufc_tom New Member

Oct 10, 2009
    England
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Hi Massey Ranger, i'm Tom and i live in Cambridgshire, and i'm looking to have a career in football as a coach. There is a course at college which is a diploma in football and from that you get a qualification in coaching, i just wanted to know how you got into it and just a bit more about it? Thanks.

17. Massey Ranger

Massey Ranger New Member

Oct 1, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Hi Tom,I had to quit playing at 21 - i started as a reserve manager for a sunday league team in Coventry,just helping my mates out.
    After my first season i then formed my own club - Coventry Rangers FC - after 2 good years i then moved into saturday football and loved time with Kenilworth town/Massey Ferguson/Romulus and now back to Masey Ferguson.

i have taken coaching badges along the way but when in a manager role it is hard to find courses that dont effect your role within the club.Alot of young players now are qualified from there time at school or college.i recommend taking them when possible but also get involved in a local team to you.get the feel for it and the enjoyment.see what sort of level you would like to coach at.... i have always been involved in senior football but in my role now i am working with all my junior managers which is great.all the managers and coaches at Massey Ferguson have at least level 1 in coaching - some have there level 2 and also my number 2 Amar has his level 3 coaching badge.
    you can also have a look at your local county FA website they will have a list of courses and dates and you can even take some online now too.

hope this helps

Kev

18. whufc_tom

whufc_tom New Member

Oct 10, 2009
    England
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Okay. Thanks for your help Kev.

19. ArizonaFußballFan

Nov 8, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I will admit that I usually only follow the Championship league and League 1 when it comes to non Premier League action. It mostly is due to how difficult it is to find information along with match information from where I am located.

I know people were mostly talking about the leagues even lower but I do admit I am fascinated with trying to find out as much about various clubs as I can.

For whatever reasons, i am curious about the styles of play on the pitch that various clubs play.

The ones I am currently trying hard to find are:

Swindon Town FC
    Norwich City

20. Tony Dellbird

Tony Dellbird English and Proud

Mar 26, 2004
    Jolly Ol' England
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What is it you want to know?

21. ArizonaFußballFan

Nov 8, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    As mentioned already, I am mostly focusing on styles of play although I can pretty much guess both enjoy playing some sort of attacking football based on goals scored.

22. hozac

hozac New Member

May 22, 2010
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Hy guys,
    Sorry for posting in an inadequate thread, but i`m a new member and i can`t open a new one.
    Does anyone have info on any trials for 2nd or 3rd division in England
    It`s a very big forum and I dont know where to start, maybe someone can help me ?
    Best regards.

23. JackBastard

JackBastard Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Bridgend
    Club:
    Swansea City AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    As in the Championship or League One? It's highly unlikely you're going to be able to get a trial at a club of that stature unless you're already impressing in a lower division or abroad somewhere. You could try contacting individual clubs but like I said, unless you're playing to a decent standard somewhere else already, probably not going to happen.

p.s. How old are you? If you're under 18 you'll have much better change of getting into some teams youth academy. Although I'm not sure how exactly they work with foreigners (if you are one...)

24. hozac

hozac New Member

May 22, 2010
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    10x for the reply.
    Regardint that, I am 21 , and yes I am also a foreigner.

25. RichardL

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    the other problem there is that unless you have an EU passport you won't quality for a work permit (I'm going out on a limb and assuming you aren't a current international for your country).

Without a work permit you won't even be able to play in a friendly match.