Why no Local TV

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Nick79, Mar 1, 2019.

1. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Could be all of the above......:)

Winoman and GumbyG repped this.
  2. PACfutbol

PACfutbol Member

May 25, 2006
    Bloomington
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just upped for espn+ so I could watch games here in Bloomington, IL. Will games on Chicago be blacked out?

I know I should get my sorry butt up to chicago for the game anyway, but Bridgeview?

3. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Probably. I'm about the same distance to NYC as you are to Chicago and I get those games blacked out. You can chat with an agent on the website if you want to be sure.

4. Nick79

Nick79 Member

May 4, 2015
    Club:
    Olympiakos Piraeus
    And I personally don't get it? I'd rather have a team that I personally root for at a lower level. I CAN'T WATCH Barca vs. RM, Because I just don't care who wins, and to me, caring who wins is more important than quality of play. I honestly don't get how Americans can attach themselves to English teams and have actual passion for it?

5. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    It’s difficult for me to get into MLS because a team can sleepwalk from beginning of the season through August and still be the best. It just doesn’t have the feel of games being important, and I hate friendlies. In other leagues, I feel every game has something depending on it. I don’t really have passion for these teams but just feel every games is a lot more significant than a regular MLS game.

ejs1111, Winoman and GumbyG repped this.
  6. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    [​IMG]

I agree with you to an extent, although I think it's far less than it used to be. And the new playoff format will make that somewhat better too.

On the other hand, the other team I follow could roll through the season undefeated and still not win diddlyshit because there's a far richer team that's got the championship wrapped up before the first kick of the season. MLS is far better on that point than any league on earth.

7. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know just what you mean. The way DC has tended to treat the preseason and the length of the break _really_ don't help the situation.

I'd like to see us get all the stupid mechanicals like drafts out of the way by mid December and start the preseason January 5th.

On the contrary, though, I want more friendlies in January and February, but of higher quality. Maybe teams not involved in concachamps touring Europe or SA.

I still think the postseason has too many participants. Limit it to 8 and games in the first half of the season instantly gain more meaning.

Winoman, benni... and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  8. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see how a guy living in DC having a passion for DC United is any different from a guy living in DC having a passion for Manchester United. You can watch every Man U game on television and honestly if you were walking down the street you are probably more likely to find a person to talk Man U with before you find a person to talk DC United with.

If you spend enough time following something you will develop a passion for it. It's location to you is meaningless, especially where you can connect with millions of people on the internet who share your passion.

ejs1111, Von Zee, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  9. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And that's at least one key, passion for the local team. It's easier, IMO, to get passionate about a local team when you have good access, like low ticket prices and broadcast availability. Otherwise, it might as well be Man U. Ironically, casual contact with the players in MLS is something we have in spades over other major domestic sports and foreign leagues, if you can get your kids in to see a game for a reasonable price. Atlanta's figured the access thing out, and it took them exactly zero years of experience to get it.

LU will help, in that it'll bring that triple-A feel to the local soccer scene, attract attention for the academy games, and hopefully be a lower-priced option. But dang. Sometimes, it feels like DC's penny-wise and pound-foolish when it comes to the mothership.

The other major factors I see are quality, gameday experience and community.

Von Zee, Nick79 and Winoman repped this.
  10. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another indictment of streaming, yesterday here at work (shhhhh don't tell the boss) I was watching NBCSN Curling. The stream kept cutting in and out. It would reset, causing me to have to see another ad, and it would freeze. We have a strong network feed here at work so it was not my bandwidth. It is the fact that streaming is a crap service bottom line.

fatbastard repped this.
  11. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    I had cable tv a few years ago, and any time we had thunder and lightning, I would lose the service and cable box would get fried. It took several techician visits and three dead boxes for them to fix it. I’ll take streaming over that every day.

12. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    No, youre job's connection is shit. NBCSN never has that issue on my phone or my tablet and Laptop.

Sorry you live where people voted for trump and get terrible internet. You're just a small casualty in this numbers game.

RIP

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  13. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

after 29 years in IT I'll let you in on a secret, all technology is flawed.

fatbastard repped this.
  14. pats1237

pats1237 Member

Oct 28, 2006
    The District
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And we know that all technology that doesn't work personally for you is factually crap

15. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

cause I don't know what I am doing?????? :p

16. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    That’s NBCSN and their scripts. I have this problem every week watching Premier League on my home laptop. It gets to extra time, the ad bar changes and the screen freezes. I think it has to do something with the game in real time going to an ad, while the stream is behind and the freeze occurs at that point. Had massive problems watching the Flyers/Pittsburgh hockey game earlier his week as well. Conversely, absolutely zero problems streaming NASCAR and MLS on Fox this weekend. And usually no problems streaming INDYCAR on NBCSN.

Also have this problem on my work desktop. Do have a prior history of problems with the app on my iPad, but not nearly as much as trying to use Microsoft Explorer, Edge or Chrome on a computer vs tablet/phone.

Another reason why I’d never pay for any NBCSports Gold package. Untrustworthy interfaces.

Thx,

Jay!

GumbyG and shawn12011 repped this.
  17. BassNFool

BassNFool Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just cancelled espn+ due to permanent blackout of DC United games. I will not be subscribing to flosports so I will not be following DC United and thus MLS. I followed MLS because of DC United. MLS and DC United have just made it too much trouble and too much cost to bother. Sad, MLS was the only league and DC United the only team I still considered myself a serious fan of.

Hedbal, Von Zee, Eastern Bear and 3 others repped this.
  18. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a lot of problems with the NBC Sports apps too - including with NASCAR feeds (might be the only thing I've used it for). Hell, some of the time it won't even let me log on with my DirecTV credentials the first few times I try. Never had a problem logging in to the Fox interface. But NBC has always sucked at sports so I'm never really surprised, just pissed, each time. Only really affects me at work where I suppose, technically, I really shouldn't be watching sports anyway :cool: But I can't take a sick day every time a Sunday race gets rained out.

Winoman repped this.
  19. Nick79

Nick79 Member

May 4, 2015
    Club:
    Olympiakos Piraeus
    I guess? I am a fan of Olympiacos in Greece, but I lived near there for short time went to the games, and my uncle was on their board in the 70s and 80s, I played in one of their basketball leagues for awhile in my early 20s. It could be that I don't want to be a fan of English teams? Another thing I don't want to do is watch sports events multiple time zones away in the early morning. I also think I like the idea of physically living fairly near my team. I also want the USA to have it's own soccer league, and I actually like seeing names like NY, LA, Chicago, Atlanta in the standings (not table) rather than Chelsea, Manchester or Liverpool, I just want to have MY OWN thing, and not some foreigner's thing.

Winoman, TowsonDad and fatbastard repped this.
  20. Aconti2

Aconti2 Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I signed up for Flo tv. The stream I got was crystal clear, waaay better than News Channel 8 or CSN. Since DC united was the only reason I was holding on to cable I just cut it and am saving 80 dollars a month. I think i'll use the extra cash to go to the home games that arent on Flo. Worked out for me.

Winoman and TowsonDad repped this.
  21. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what device did you have to watch it on?

JayRockers! repped this.
  22. Aconti2

Aconti2 Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I bought the latest Roku for 30 dollars. I had to get one anyways since Netflix and prime video wasn't going to work on our Wii anymore. Since I knew ahead of time I'd probably try out flo I went ahead and checked which devices would carry the channel.

Winoman repped this.
  23. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More detailed "blackout area" info - or I guess more accurately, the Flosports area - still not sure if they're the same area or not

https://www.blackandredunited.com/2019/3/26/18282450/dc-united-blackout-flosports-geofence

24. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    The geofence for Delaware seems strange. The northern border of Delaware with Pennsylvania is, maybe, 20 miles from Chester. Wonder what the Union's broadcast coverage looks like?

Winoman repped this.
  25. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who wants to watch Philthy?

ejs1111 and Winoman repped this.