Why Matt Besler is worth so much to MLS

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by KC96, Jul 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KC96

KC96 Member

Mar 2, 2013
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Great ambassador and champion for the League. If you wonder why MLS values Matt for an asking transfer price that may be much richer then his on-field skills alone might command, read the below for some recent insight from Matt.

Matt Besler, on a WHB-810 radio interview today. 12:25 mark. (Transcript below)

http://www.stationcaster.com/player_skinned.php?s=26&c=374&f=3064783

WHB-810: How big of a factor is it for someone like you, who is a star in this league, to make that decision - (to) say, "you know what, I don't need to go over there. I'm going stay at MLS and be a trailblazer and lead the way for future guys who will be in your situation to have the confidence to stay in MLS and not have to go overseas"?

Besler: Yeah, that's big. That's attractive to me. I understand that. I also feel like in 5 years MLS has the potential to be on par with some of these leagues. In 5 years you might not be talking about players going over to Europe. You might be talking about that MLS, is right on par so why would you need to go over there? I believe that can happen too.

Besler: I was getting interviewed on SportsCenter and I just asked the ESPN SportsCenter producer, I said "Hey man, when are you guys going to start showing MLS highlights? It's crazy to me that you guys can't take 5 mins out of the program just to show the game's highlights on the weekend. You show World Cup highlights, you show US soccer highlights. Why can't you show MLS highlights? I know there's a lot of people that wouldn't mind having soccer on there for 5 minutes of your show."

And he said, 'you know what, that's a really good point - we are looking into it, hopefully we will be able to bring people on that we had for the World Cup that know more about the game and know how to produce a highlight like that, and hopefully we can start gettting that on SportsCenter in the next couple months'.

WHB-810: The goal, the throw in you had to Dom Dwyer, the header that he had over the weekend was the #3 or 4 play on the Top Ten on ESPN that night.

Besler: There you go, they might be listening to me.

• MLS created/developed into a name recognizable USMNT star
    • Charismatic, outspoken, enthusiastic booster and believer for the League
    • Another viable path for future US/MLS developed stars to follow (reinforcing a path first started by Landon Donovan a decade ago)
    • Athletic hero makes good in his hometown (see LeBron James story this past week. Of course this is nowhere on the same level, but it taps into the same type of fan sentiment)
    I won't be surprised if Matt stays in MLS. In fact, there are many good things that could happen for MLS if he does stay, things that a few $M more in the league's coffers can't easily buy.

profiled repped this.
  2. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I'm happy for Besler and I get that SKC fans value him, that said if he wants to go I say go for it. You only live once (or so).

INKRO and xbhaskarx repped this.
  3. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    Tssk tssk Matt, 5 minutes would take away from the other 55 minutes of discussing where King James might end up for the season.

INKRO and xbhaskarx repped this.
  4. KC96

KC96 Member

Mar 2, 2013
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    This is also 100% true too if he wants to go. I think SKC fans and organization also share this view. It will boil a lot down to "what does Matt want".

Fortunately for Matt, it seems he is valued across several places, so he has choices. He's earned whatever future he chooses, and the fan support he will continue to get no matter his choice, was also well earned by him.

5. PJohnson

PJohnson Member+

DC United
    Dec 16, 2004
    South Dakota
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The free market determines the salary a player can earn. Sporting KC will need to tear up his shiny new contract and offer him a much higher salary. That's the bottom line. Otherwise, he is a fool to stay. His market value is now much higher than the $200,000 per year they are paying him. Which was probably pretty fair prior to the World Cup when his only real options were MLS or lower level European leagues offering similar after tax wages. But now he can command a salary that is probably in the $1.5 million range. If the offers from England are solid.

6. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    #6 deejay, Jul 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
    I have no doubt that SKC and MLS is willing and able to pay Omar Gonzalez type money. Which, coincidentally, is 1.5 million. I'd be surprised if he got more than that in England. So I don't think it's a money issue. At this moment I think the only thing that makes Besler consider England is the glory he might reap. I get the feeling he's a little underwhelmed about going to a smaller team. Is it a lot more exciting and career enhancing to be in say Sunderland than it is to be in SKC? Sure you face some big clubs but you're also constantly worrying about relegation. I think he won't go unless it's a club with certain expectations. Everton or Schalke, for instance.

Stupid_American and KC96 repped this.
  7. KC96

KC96 Member

Mar 2, 2013
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    My original post was less about the salary Besler will make, and more about the rumored asking transfer fee of $6M+ to pry Besler from MLS - which seems (depending on who you ask) almost insanely high.

I was trying to make the case as to why MLS might truly value Matt higher than Europe might (and not just using a negotiation ploy) - thus MLS would only feel like they were getting a good deal if a large transfer fee were paid for him.

And since MLS might (honestly) be valuing Besler much higher than Europe would - because of many other factors specific to league growth (vs. Europe who is just valuing Matt as another centerback), the odds of a deal moving Besler to Europe are diminished because of the gap in the parties' valuation of him.

jayd8888 and soundermiki repped this.
  8. soundermiki

soundermiki Member+

May 24, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the Sounders are dealing with the same issue with Yedlin to a certain extent (plus the homegrown contract issue). Both players have earned a higher payday, and I don't think either team really would have a problem paying them a higher wage in the abstract. So the main issues is (1) at what fee will the teams feel that they can't refuse, (2) do the players (assuming commensurate wages) want to leave, (3) is the situation where they would be going conducive to their development and happiness.

Ultimately, though, there is (1) a number at which the player will want to leave, (2) a number at which the team will want to sell, or (3) a combination of the two.

9. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Besler is an awesome guy and an awesome player. But the league is outgrowing the need to keep people for certain off field purposes. I'm not saying there isn't value in how he is perceived off field, but you figure out that value, offer it to him and let him decide. If he leaves, you take that big fat fee and buy yourself some new players. We are finally getting to that point where we are like other leagues (and still with a very high ceiling.) SKC will continue to sell out. They will continue to win. Heck, you still even have a defender who grew up in your town and is a good interview/ambassador for the sport in Seth Sinovic. Life will go on and improve in KC with or without Matt Besler. And you are correct. Matt's fan base will continue to grow no matter where he goes.

terrier and Hachiko repped this.
  10. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SKC could actually field an entire back 5 of hometown Kansas City players.

---Sinovic---Besler---Palmer-Brown---Ellis---
    -----------------Gruenebaum-------------------

AndyMead, Oobers, KC96 and 1 other person repped this.
  11. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    #11 deejay, Jul 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
    Bocanegra, Ryan Nelsen and Cameron went straight from MLS to Europe and were an immediate success. Tim Ream had trouble at first but is now doing well. Everything seems to indicate that Besler should have no trouble adapting to Europe, especially England. Given the number of interested clubs 6 million is not insane. Remember, Geoff went for 2.7 and Tim for 4. I would say that 4 or 5 million will be the final number. Besler this cycle has been the best USMNT defender I have seen. Finally, he's a lefty which gives him an advantage playing LCB. That has a premium.

Chris M. repped this.
  12. DC06

DC06 Member+

Oct 9, 2006
    Within amile of home
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And he said, 'you know what, that's a really good point - we are looking into it, hopefully we will be able to bring people on that we had for the World Cup that know more about the game and know how to produce a highlight like that, and hopefully we can start getting that on SportsCenter in the next couple months'.

--------------

Seriously? I mean I had a low opinion of ESPN already in regards to their SportsCenter program, but this really brings into focus how clueless they are about the sport and the domestic league.

13. footballfantatic

Mar 27, 2008
    Ontario, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love that Besler asked them about that. MLS can only grow when people with pull start demanding more coverage. I'm not saying he has pull, but it at least pushes the point when a US soccer star defender brings it up.

Also, ESPN should NEVER have to say 'we'll look into in the next couple of months'. That screams they don't care one iota. I know that in 20 years MLS will be shown consistently, but I would prefer it NOW!

14. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    This isn't a chicken egg problem for ESPN even if it might seem like one to us. To them, the ratings come first followed by time on Sports Center. If MLS continues to pull good ratings like they did last Sunday on ESPN2, they will magically start getting better coverage. It's that simple.

terrier repped this.
  15. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From a strictly financial point of view, if they bump Matt up to 700-800k, then he probably comes out ahead staying here when you factor in two sets of taxes, two houses, etc.

What SKC has to balance is they'll have to give Zusi a raise (who's more valuable in MLS than on the international level where it might be vice versa for Matt), Collin will want a raise if Besler gets one, Dwyer's got 14 goals or so, Feilhaber's playing well, etc. Only a finite amount of money in the coffers. Of course, in the likely event in the next 6 months they part ways with Bieler, that at least opens up a DP spot.

16. holly nichole music

May 3, 2012
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I want Matt to select a mid table Euro team with ambition who will play him. MLS is getting better but Matt and any not- old center back will learn more there in the next 3. years. He can come back home in 2018

That frees up some money for Zusi who can remain an MLS lifer and ambassador for the league. He is unlikely to feature for the national team again but he remains a star in MLS and inspiration for all late bloomers ....

Chris M. repped this.
  17. Papillon Soo Soo

Jan 17, 2012
    I'm guessing that was more of a platitude response and less being clueless. I mean, what is the guy going to say to his face - uhhh, sorry we don't really think MLS deserves anything on our program.

I still absolutely love the anecdote of Matt B putting the Sports Center guy on the spot like that though.

asoc and footballfantatic repped this.
  18. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    Well KC found money for both of them.

http://www.sportingkc.com/news/2014...r-and-graham-zusi-designated-player-contracts

19. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States