Why is yedlin, I mean Pulisic, captain of the $UMNT?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Sam Hamwich, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Oh that's right they are not despite displaying the resilience, courage and dedication needed by a leader. Not to mention the experience.

2. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's say the USA had to beat Mali. Bradley would be first player I'd put on a plane to Timbuktu...

...but only if we were playing them at home.

3. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll wait for the 'real' coach but if it's Berhalter I expect the captain remains the backup CDM, Trapp. Which is better than the auto captain by birth we've been stuck with but hardly more than a title.

The on field leaders will be McKennie, CP, Miazga and soon, Sargent and Weah. Captain is only captain in name with the young talent coming out, lead by example is what's needed and it's coming, regardless of coach's pick for the armband.

4. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that we have bigger concerns than who is Captain America...as long it's not Bradley. :D

5. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    You mean like Couva, Trinidad and Tobago?

6. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    CP could've rallied the troops via text message for the past year had they mailed the armband to his place in Dortmund. SUM was too cheap to cover the postage since that money was reserved for the MB.

7. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His comment went completely over your head.

8. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    It may not matter to the team and it may not matter to certain players but some players categorically either get better with the role or get worse, Donovan vs dempsey. For example. But if I'm Yedlin I have to be looking around thinking damn, what's a brother got to do to get the arm band, wait I KNOW get beat over and over and over again as a defender, works for Bradley. And now it could work for Trapp . I've gotta get in on that.

9. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    The less we talk about captains the better. If it were up to me, and it should be, I'd make a rule nobody could be captain for 5 straight games.

Nobody cares about captain, and it's just gonna be the same MB90 situation when the next "captain for life" starts sucking but can't be dropped because he's captain and has experience. No thanks, count me out.

onefineesq repped this.
  10. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    If we had to pick one, I'd go for McKennie. But I feel the whole captain issue is inflated, too.

11. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    And mine over yours, apparently.