why is the battery never in the columbia media?

Discussion in 'Charleston Battery' started by AguiluchoMerengue, Jul 2, 2009.

1. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    i have never seen a battery ad in the columbia tv channels. i have never read a battery story or the score on in the state newspaper, not even on the website.

never heard of the battery in the radio...

just wondering.

2. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Money I would guess. Cost money to advertise and I'm guessing they dont think the cost would be worth the payoff.

As to media coverage in Columbia, it couldnt hurt to send a letter to the sports editor or something asking them the same question. With cut back in the print world, I would imagine they would say pretty much the samething, not enough bang for the buck.

I do wish the Battery would get a deal with a radio station that has a live internet feed again. the local station doesnt even have a website that I can find!

3. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    interesting how they support more college sports than professional sports here in columbia.

i think many people in columbia dont even know that the battery exist, is like charleston was like a different country to them...

4. shealygg

shealygg Member

Jul 5, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yeah.......can't imagine why that's the case, especially since we've got that pro team....you know.....what's the name of that team???? There's NO pro sports in Columbia....what pro team should the local media promote? And why would they promote it? They touch on the Panthers during NFL season, but that's pretty much it.

In Columbia, it's all about USC. That's the only thing going, and it dominates the newspaper, TV, and local sports radio. You promote what you have and don't worry about the rest.

Really.....do you think more than 1% of the Columbia population cares about the Battery? Do you think they even know who the Battery is? The people in Columbia think the Battery is what you put in the Flashlight when it doesn't work anymore. They have no clue who Chelsea is....or Barcelona....or Inter.

Columbia SC is the heart of baseball country....as much as I hate to say it, that's the case....baseball and USC is it for the Midlands.....:(

5. HSEUPASSION

HSEUPASSION New Member

Apr 16, 2005
    Duck, NC
    Yea, the midland of SC never struck me as a big soccer area, but the Upstate does.

Off topic, I know, but could a PDL team fly in Greenville-Spartanburg?

6. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

wow that is very interesting.

we gone have a hockey team in irmo? thats awesome, i live in irmo.

battery is not coming to columbia, but a little promotion wouldnt hurt sc i think!

ive seen a battery shirt maybe once or twice here in columbia. about 80% of my friends are soccer players, and yet, none of them has ever showed up to a pick up game with anything that has to do with the battery.

soccer players in columbia know about the battery but would never talk about it, everything is manU, arsenal or chelsea to them.

at least i know i can go watch hockey live now and is gone be a few minutes away from home.

sorry but i have been too busy with summer school, working 2 jobs and all that but im sure i will make it to some games this season.

i was planning on going to watch madrid vs dcu game but i dont think is gone happen.

7. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Same reason you never hear of them here in the Upstate. Aside from a select few who live outside the surrounding Charleston area, there is little interest.

Unfortunate.

8. shealygg

shealygg Member

Jul 5, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Don't hold your breathe........I really don't think hockey's coming back in my opinion. A new arena would have to be built first. How long would that take? And who's going to finance a new arena for a minor league hockey team in this economy? I just don't see it happening.

Once again, USC plays a major role in this.....if they were more willing to negotiate rent on the old coliseum, they could still be playing there as they were two years ago. USC wants to be the only game in town and will not do anything to accomodate any other sports teams.......see Capital City Bombers and Columbia Inferno as references to that....

You'll still have to go to Charleston or Greenville if you want to see hockey or baseball, or anything other than USC.

9. HSEUPASSION

HSEUPASSION New Member

Apr 16, 2005
    Duck, NC
    Myrtle Beach is a better pro sports town than Columbia. Seriously.

10. shealygg

shealygg Member

Jul 5, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It's just that Columbia is absolutely dominated by USC and its athletic program....and there's nothing going to change that anytime soon.