Why is our home crowd

Discussion in 'Austin Aztex' started by dspence2311, Aug 10, 2010.

1. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    so late arriving to games? At the 15 minute mark the crowd seems to be fully 2 or 3 times bigger than what it is at game time.

This has always puzzled me.

2. babieca

babieca Member

Jul 12, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    because it's Austin.

3. wgenrich

wgenrich New Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly

4. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No elaboration? Cus this particular phenom has allways puzzled me too.

5. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think it's just Austin. I think it's American. Maybe Canadian as well. I have a few guesses, all of which are probably a factor.

1. In most US sports, what are you missing? Baseball? ~1/2 inning. Football? 5 minutes of game time. Basketball? How many more points will be scored in the rest of the game? Tons. I doubt we culturally understand that we might miss the important event in that first 15 minutes.

2. People are busy. I don't know about others, really. I try to be on time. But with busy lives, and general cat herding, people are late.

3. It's just not that important. It's entertainment. A diversion. It's fun while people are there. I have a co-worker that went Saturday, and left at the 75th minute because he was with kids, and they'd reached their attention limit and they needed to go home.

Me, I'm not going to worry about it. They pay money. I've noticed the same thing at MLS games. Shocked at how empty the stands are in pregame, but decently full by halftime. Even in Toronto.

6. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with all the comments made on this. It's not just teams like the Aztex. I know as I've talked to folks who go to UT Football (gridiron) games, they state that the stadium isn't full until well into the first quarter.

7. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Yes, I too don't know exactly what this means. Too cool to be on time?

8. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, if it was 30 years ago, I'd say it was too mellow and laid-back to be on time. But I'm not sure that describes Austin anymore.

9. lmfoust

lmfoust Member

Aug 2, 2000
    Cleveland
    I'm not from Austin, but VioletCrown seems to be right with point #2 and "cat herding" (You mean cattle herding?). Part of me also wants to mention something I see all the time when I'm working Cleveland Browns games: everybody pre-games! It's not always including booze, but A LOT of people pre-game, then you have to do the security checks outside the stadium, I could tell you plenty of stories about that!

10. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course, then you get the issue of 'too much pregame, and forgetting to go to the game!';)

11. Blackburn

Blackburn New Member

Mar 13, 2007
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am the least mellow person I know...

12. Scooter Pete

Scooter Pete Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Austin
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't forgotten to go but I know I'm always a little late because I am still at the Tavern finishing up all the beer that Chantico's Army leaves out on the table when they leave for the supporter's march over to House. <<hic>>

13. lmfoust

lmfoust Member

Aug 2, 2000
    Cleveland
    Told ya!