Why is MLS So Controversial/Maligned/etc?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by MonagHusker, Jun 30, 2018.

1. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Whoever it was should be given a posthumous gold medal for their "accidental" stroke of genius.

2. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    It's pretty common in amateur sports. Local softball leagues have A,B, C brackets and teams move up and down accordingly.

My guess is teams started as coworkers or local sport clubs, bracketing happened, the players started getting paid. Evolution. Modern pro/rel.

It's almost surprising that it didn't take hold in the US in sports like baseball and basketball.

3. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In 1901-1902, the English First Division had 18 clubs, which is almost as many as it has now. The story of American leagues is expansion and leagues that started when there were fewer people out west. When MLB's American League was created, California, Oregon, and Washington had 13 out of 386 House of Representative seats, which is 3.4%. Now they have 68 out of 435 seats, which is 15.6%.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  4. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I meant prior to the foundation of the Football League in 1888.

5. luka74

luka74 Member

Melbourne CIty, St Pauli, VFL Wolfsburg Frauen, Chelsea WSL
    Australia
    Nov 13, 2017
    Melbourne
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Just want to jump in here and say I love MLS. I follow NYCFC as my local club here in Australia is also a CFG club. I also like the NWSL. I think most matches are exciting and the overall quality is pretty good. The A league here in oz is pretty similar, started from scratch after the old league fell apart, mostly franchise style clubs and no pro/rel. And people here, mostly followers of European soccer, moan about it also. Don't understand why all leagues need to be the same to be taken seriously. One thing about MLS I like is the way fans seem to have merged what I would call traditional American sports fandom (tailgates ect) with more traditional apsects of soccer fandom(tifos,drums,chanting/singing ect). It creates a uniquie culture around the game. Also I don't notice the negative aspects, violecne ect often associated with soccer in Europe. Here in Australia unfortunately there is a small minority who like to emulate Euro "ultras"' and cause trouble that gives the game a bad name in the media, which is largely controlled by the AFL.

jayd8888, Kejsare, Ismitje and 2 others repped this.
  6. Aconti2

Aconti2 Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What I don't understand is why I can't read the comments of an MLS post without sifting through tons of "MLS SUCKS" comments.

Why do tons of people like the MLS facebook page for the sole reason of writing stupid comments like this?

TheEmperor14 repped this.
  7. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't read Facebook or comments on news articles about anything. Read BigSoccer and sports websites to stop getting "MLS sucks" comments.