Why is Jill Ellis still employed?

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Cannons, Mar 9, 2017.

1. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    And sadly that could impact the women more than the men going forward.
    USSF could end up looking even more sexist after this debacle.

2. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Meanwhile, Norwegian federation decides to pay the exact same salary to men and women footballers...

(Though I find odd that they put Ada Hegerberg in the article's picture, just when she decided to take a break from her NT :x3:).

3. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The US Women are #1 in the world. We can argue and debate and be vitriolic about the development of US women's soccer and the coaching and you name it. But the women are #1 and the men are way down on the list. So let's be sure that the men's disaster doesn't drive everything.

skybolt and uncchamps2012 repped this.
  4. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    The bonus money (based on tournaments) still isn't, but that's lost in headlines.

The money for all programs largely comes from the men's side.

5. Caversham

Caversham Member

Oct 25, 2015
    There were signs that something like this would eventually happen to the men. For instance, missing out on the last 2 Olympics, performing poorly in youth competitions, over reliance on the same veteran players, poor tactics from coaches, etc. This caused a lost generation for the men where we had only a few players in the crucial 24-29 age during qualification.

What is worrying to me is that the same trends that affected the men are starting to affect the women. The US women have performed very poorly at recent youth competitions, which affects our future player pipeline. We have coaches from Ellis down to youth level who are tactically inept. We rely on the same core of veteran players instead of trying new players.

The men’s team finally succumbed to these structural defenciencies and it looks like the women are starting to succumb as well based upon our performances in the Olympics, SheBelieves, and ToN.

With the men’s defeat, US soccer needs to do what Germany did in 2000. We need to look into the entire structure of US soccer from Gulati down to U5 recreational matches and make significant changes. My hope is that these changes are applied to both the men and women.

Patrick167, TimB4Last and blissett repped this.
  6. olelaliga

olelaliga Member

Aug 31, 2009
    I don't believe that Sunil Gulati has announced he is running for a final (grandfathered) term as President. Flynn, the Boston lawyer has announced his candidacy. Gulati has been protecting Ellis and without him, Ellis is much more vulnerable. Will he gracefully announce that he is supporting the term limits he put forward and decline to run again?

I think the players are out there on the girl's side. Unfortunately as I have posted elsewhere, they pick kids at 13 years old and stick with them regardless of their and other children's relative developmental slope. The youth NT coaches have been told their success is in elevating kids to the full team so that's what they are doing whether those kids are the right choices or not we are going to jam them into that slipper!

There has been a big push to "technical" players. That means small and sometimes, yes, slow with better than average, but not too flashy ball skills. They have excluded some of the best "athletes" some of whom have respectable skills. But even more confusing to me is they specifically exclude most of the kids with real "flair" as not being "what they are looking for". It's almost as if they are afraid of their disrupting teams with their unexpected talents. They very well might show just how flat footed some of these kids can be. Yes sometimes a certain edginess comes with these abilities. That doesn't mean that these kids are bad "uncoachable" kids only that they are different in temperament than the usual teenage girls and might not fit into the "cliques". FYI there are hugely impactful cliques at these kids camps.

These are the kids with the amazing ball skills, the ones you say wow she's fun to watch. They are slicing and dicing the midfields and creating danger everywhere, flicking balls over defenders, showing perfect technique in bringing balls out of the air and turning at the same time. and indeed they are effective in creating opportunities and scoring. The scouts send in glowing reports when they are very effective on the field, but at the top level the are nudged aside. They are often included in one or two camps even a few more, but they aren't offered the kind of support and pushed ahead as are others. They play for the "wrong" club and are going to the "wrong" colleges.

Examples of players well known enough to publish who remain marginal:
    Ekic, Mckaskill, Berg, Hatch. They are demanding attention by their play in the NCAA but were all but ignored as children. The exception was Ekic who was included in early u17 events, but cast aside in favor of players who are or will be attending schools like UVA, UNC, UCLA, Stanford, and Penn State. The included players for clubs with coaches attending YNT camps as assistants, or were pushed forward by April Kater in Colorado. If Kater lived elsewhere we would see a dominance of players from that city pushed forward. It's a testament to the fact that so many players are of excellent quality in the USA that we can put together a decent team of these players. But the truly outstanding ones, the possibly transformative ones, may not make it unless there is a regime change. And I don't mean bring back April Heinrichs or elevate Kater- same old same old.

I am sure he wouldn't be interested but Hugo Perez would be amazing. I'd take Herdman in a heartbeat but he may be about to beat us.

7. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed, although its not so much "taking money" from the women as it is just having less revenue will mean less money available for EVERYONE.

sitruc repped this.
  8. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I know this is the women's forums but I was hoping when I woke up this morning I would see headlines that said " Sunil Gulati fires Bruce Arena and then resigns"

Semblance17 repped this.
  9. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    "Don't bite the hand that feeds you, but if someone else bites that hand, you may still receive the same consequences as if you were the one who took the bite in it"

USSF took a bite last night, and the women were bitten by that gash as well. How deep that bite is, and how much blood there is from it remains to be seen.

10. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uh are we supposed to care that a bunch of tattoo’ed millionaires don’t go to the big boy tournament? The women meanwhile win World Cups and are currently ranked number one and they get paid so little and some go back to school for a higher paying career or if they are charismatic, go into television broadcasting. Honestly, I’m kinda glad they didn’t qualify. They don’t deserve all that money.

11. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, we should care, because ultimately the men drive US Soccer's revenues. A hit to US Soccer's primary product can't ever increase the pie for anybody else.

If USWNT argues that they deserve a bigger % of a smaller pie, that's not really a win.

MRAD12, sitruc, Namdynamo and 2 others repped this.
  12. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    It's really bad, hope they can use this as a chance to rebuild the US soccer to make it better.

13. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    it's time to jazz things up & make El Piojo the men's coach. More people will come to see him coach then for the players. Now what a wonderful world that would be?

14. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    The real loser in this is Fox. They paid over $200 million for the rights to the 2018 World Cup. Domestic TV ratings will now be down by at least 30%. This cuts out a ton of the casual patriotic viewers who would only tune in if "Murica, Suckers, Yeah Bidtches" were playing. There were a whole bunch of people who don't watch or know anything about soccer that watched the 2014 World Cup until the Round of 16 loss against Belgium, and then they didn't care to tune in anymore.

15. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    Hopefully this means Fox will really HYPE up the 2019 Womens's World Cup once the USWNT qualify (if they qualify at this point, you never know with Jill).

16. Airox

Airox Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fox has got to be a wreck right now.

17. olelaliga

olelaliga Member

Aug 31, 2009
  18. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
  19. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
  20. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #145 MRAD12, Dec 8, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    And they both played at William and Mary where April Heinrichs was an Asst. Coach I believe around that time and there are probably more connections, if you dig deeper.
    I've said before, the USWNT is surrounded by a group I call "The Good-Ole Girls Club". As long as this "Club" is in charge, not much will change.

21. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Why am I not upset about fox losing money?

22. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    For me, it's that they got 2022 on a discount that made me hate it all more than anything else about the company.*

*of course potential bribes was news just recently.

23. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    blissett repped this.
  24. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Strike 1...close ties to Ellis
    Strike 2 ...close ties to SUM
    Strike 3 ...if u like the job Gulati has done then u want Gulati...if u don't then u don't want his hand picked successor.

25. thegamesthatrate

Jan 9, 2007
    Granted, Ellis has accomplishments. The consensus here is that they have come about in spite of her. Take away the yellow cards from the Columbia referee and Morgan Brian might not be in the starting lineup for the last three WWC games in 2015 (and the USWNT thus might not win). Of course, Brian has had a string of injuries that have limited her availability. Other talent seems not to have developed so well. That is something to lay on the coach's doorstep. And, the US tactics and ball skills are not keeping pace with the rest of the world. That is also a coach issue.