Why is Guyana, Suriname and French Guyana in CONCACAF?

Discussion in 'Caribbean' started by Manuel_Medina, Nov 11, 2003.

1. Wounded Buffalo

Wounded Buffalo New Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Re: Re: Why is Guyana, Suriname and French Guyana in CONCACAF?

Nope. sorry

2. DanRod78

DanRod78 New Member

Mar 30, 2003
    Kansas City, KS
    I believe that Barcelona's coach, Rikjaard is from Suriname. Back in the day he played for Milan.

3. simplysoccerBR

simplysoccerBR New Member

Feb 13, 2004
    Curitiba
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    originally posted by Vicar

I have a Finnish friend who thinks that World Cup qualifying should be by language group, so that Finland could qualify.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's an interesting thought... I would imagine that Spanish speaking coallition would be the favorites to win it closely contested by Portuguese ( just because of the strength of Brazillian football). Afterwards you could add the Anglo group, and then French, Italian, and German... What would you do with the African countries, though, where several languages are spoken alongside tribal dialects...

I wouldn't say Spanish-speaker countries are stronger in football. If you consider the number of WC winnings, portuguese has 5, while Spanish has only 4. In terms of power, Brazil+Portugal is just as strong as Argentina+Uruguay+Paraguay+Chile+Spain+Colombia

4. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    The Carribean is named such because of the Carribe Indians who were indigenous to the region. The Carribes were also indigenous to the areas of what call South America that are currently Suriname, Guyana and French Guiana.

As others have noted, they feel more culturally like a part of the Caribbean than South America. So, that's the "official" reason they are part of CONCACAF.

I think the real reason, as it often is in international soccer, is money and COMNEBOL doesn't want to split revenues with the three countries that don't create much money themselves.

At the same time, having them belong to CONCACAF gives Warner the Thief three more Banana Republic votes to keep him propped up.

It's a win-win for the money types.

5. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    i think most of the surinam stars moved to holland when they were all pretty young

and learnt their football skills in holland

i believe if they had stayed in surinam they wouldnt have truned out as good as they did

6. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    There is some merit to that. However, in terms of soccer, it would like tossing a first grader into a college physics class. They'd be so overwhelmed I doubt that much improvement would come from it.

7. DanRod78

DanRod78 New Member

Mar 30, 2003
    Kansas City, KS
    Suriname, Guyana and French Guiana are not in the Caribbean. They are east of all the Eastward Islands (limit of the Caribbean sea).
    Venezuela has the longest coast in the Caribbean, Caribes were also native to Venezuela. Why do Americans make fun of me when I say that Venezuela is a Caribbean country?

Are the Venezuelan islands (70) and Venezuelan caribbean sea in North America? Is Venezuela in Both continents?

Wrong, Brazil qualified to WC2002 in 4th place out of 4.5 spots. Uruguay just tied against Brazil 3-3 in WC qualifier (played in Brazil). Paraguay beat Brazil in the Olympic qualifier to steal from them the last spot.
    If you make a spanish speaking team, it would be unbeatable.

8. Nazzer

Nazzer New Member

Jan 12, 2008
    Penticton,BC,Canada
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    On the wiki page it states that players that move abroad to the netherlands to play are no longer eligable to play for Suriname. Is this true, and why is this the case?

9. Surinamese-man

Aug 20, 2008
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Surinam
    Who said that?And can you post me the link where i can read this?I must verify this.
    The Surinamese government is working on the contsruction of the constitution to change that, but this has yet to be implemented.​

10. Nazzer

Nazzer New Member

Jan 12, 2008
    Penticton,BC,Canada
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suriname_national_football_team

It's in the end of the first paragraph.

The article it references if from fifa

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/newsid=692090.html#surinames+little+secret

I wonder if as MLS expands more players from Suriname, Guyana, and the Caribean will find their way onto MLS rosters, and then they would play with the Suriname team and not the Holland team perhaps?

11. pablo85

pablo85 Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Suriname allows just one passport. So if a 'Dutch Surinamese' would choose to play for Suriname, he should give up his dutch nationality.
    So when they got independent in 1975 people could choose, dutch or surinamese passport. most surinamese immigrants came around 1975, they didn't had confidence in an independent country.

And to answer the question of the topicstarter..
    Suriname is more a carribean country. It has more cultural ties with the carribean than with South America.

12. Surinamese-man

Aug 20, 2008
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Surinam

You're right,many Surinamese have left the country since 1975.Than we had to choose to have a Dutch nationality or Surinamese.But there are developments in the country.
    The Surinamese players in the Netherlands will receive a double citizenship and the current constitution can not be maintained any longer.

13. pablo85

pablo85 Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Ok, I hope this will happen soon, because if it last 20 years longer, the Dutch Surinames don't have a lot of bonding with Suriname anymore and this rule will have no effect on the football. Many of the younger Dutch Surinames nowadays haven't even been there once.

14. Surinamese-man

Aug 20, 2008
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Surinam
    Why is Guyana, Suriname and French Guyana in CONCACAF?

The reason why we do not play in the Conmebol are different in nature.
    We are with the current state of the amateur team unable to resist the heavy Conmebol countries.It would only be interesting to join Conmebol if Suriname is armed with heavy caliber from Europe.

The second is the cultural aspect.We have nothing in common with the Spanish speaking Latin countries,although the country is increasingly inhabited by Venezolans and Brazilians.Suriname has a Caribbean atmosphere and feels more at home with their Caribbean brethren.
    Same can be said about (British) Guyana and France Guyana.​

15. Surinamese-man

Aug 20, 2008
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Surinam
    That is true, but the Surinamese have a very strong relationship with their country,even if they are not born there.Presumably,the change of the current constitution will be changed this year.​

16. Guyanapower

Guyanapower New Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Now,the story about the native Caraib indians is true (i have Caraib native blood running in my veins.)
    The native Caraib tribe was a very aggressive tribe and some hundreds of years ago,our great great parents have driven the native Arowak indian tribe away from the coastlines in Venezuela,Guyana,Suriname and Frence Guyana.​

The strange of this is, we have nothing in common with the Latin American countries such as venezuela,but on the other side we have something in common with them, because there are Arrowak and Caribbean Indians living there also.​

In the end,all Indians all over the Americas (North and South) have in common that they are not respected by international governments.​

And about Mr Jack Warner,i don't know,everybody got their one opinion about him.​

17. Surinamese-man

Aug 20, 2008
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Surinam
    Ahmn.....Mr Gutana,you mean like these native (Caraib) tribe indians in Suriname?:D

[​IMG]

Not to be offensive against native indians,i'm also one of them or atleast from my mothers side,so i'm half:D

18. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Well, by that geographical logic Alaska is in Canada - but it's not.....

The thing is that I think (and I could be wrong about this) FiFa wished its qualification groupings to be done as from continental regions. No?

19. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Many countries couldn't afford to travel around the world for WCQs. Interconfederational WCQs would also be hard on players. Imagine this hypothetical trip in under 2 weeks for a top player on a European club and national team:

1. Fly from England or Spain to Argentina.
    2. Fly from Argentina to Australia.
    3. Fly from Australia to England or Spain.