Why is ESPN Anti-Soccer in the U.S., but Pro-Soccer Everywhere else?

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by MiamiAce, Feb 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MiamiAce

MiamiAce New Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Miami, USA
    Its no secret that ESPN is very anti-soccer to its viewers in the United States. But as I finally got a chance to watch a Champions League match on ESPN2 today, I noticed that ESPN provides all sorts of soccer shows and matches to every region in the world except in the United States. Does it make sense for an American-based network like ESPN, to provide soccer coverage to everyone except in its native country??

ESPN is so absurd. They make no sense whatsoever!

2. soccerhooligan33

soccerhooligan33 New Member

Oct 31, 2002
    Clifton, VA
    In that case shouldn't foreign ESPNs carry more MLB, NHL, NBA et. al.? Different markets have different demands and serving the wishes of the general market is far from absurd. ESPN is competitive in terms of airtime and its purpose is to make money. Playing an entire matchday of Champions League is not a good way for the American ESPN to make money. Playing something most people do not want to watch and will lose ESPN money (if they market the games, different thread) is actually what makes no sense whatsoever. I too wish there were more games but through FSW, Shootout I can maintain sanity. If you don't like ESPN, Business and media is a great place for you.

3. kotto_bass

kotto_bass New Member

Nov 12, 2003
    Los Angeles
    You're missing the point here! The problem is what ESPN is showing when the games are going on. I don't know anyone who would take time off work to watch Billy Joe fishing, or John Doe playing poker! That's the issue. I watched the Bayern:Real game at a very packed sports bar. They wouldn't even let me watch part of the 1st half because the bar was already full!
    Why should they buy the rights to CL (and restrain other companies from buying it) if they can't show the games that count? fvck'em

4. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Put on pants, THEN leave the house.
    Look both ways, THEN cross the street.
    Think about what I'm about to say, THEN post on BigSoccer.

5. Here We Go21

Here We Go21 New Member

Apr 18, 2000
    My point exactly. You might remember last week I wa going on about the bad announcers for Holland vs USA. See the difference in quality when the game is going around the world like today? The Scottish and Irish fellows doing the match today were light years ahead of Stone and Balboa. It's obvious ESPN does treat soccer fans in the US with contempt. I say dump Stone and Balboa and bring in the guys from today or are people involved in television too prejudiced too use foreign accents on solely American broadcasts? I hope the answer's no.

6. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYP

7. Ricky_DCU

Ricky_DCU New Member

Feb 1, 2001
    Somerville, MA
    I don't know what sort of ratings daytime poker gets on ESPN 2, but poker on tv in general hasn't been doing so bad.

http://www.miami.com/mld/observer/living/food/7925087.htm

It comes down to this: the reason more soccer games aren't shown on ESPN is because the ratings just aren't there. Often, ESPN's lame daytime events are timebuys- whereas the rights for the Champions League cost money, and don't bring in big ratings in the US. Do the math.

8. kotto_bass

kotto_bass New Member

Nov 12, 2003
    Los Angeles
    The question is, why should ESPN buy the Exclusive Rights to CL when they'd prefer to show Joe Blow fishing (maybe not poker) when the games are going on?

9. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why does ESPN show stuff besides soccer during the day? At night, yeah, it's different. There's more NBA/NHL/College B-ball/whatever fans than there are soccer fans.

I don't have all the answers, but here's a few.

Champion's League goes on the air at 2:30 PM ET and signs off at 4:45 PM ET.

2:30 - 2:45 PM, they can show a regular amount of commercials.

2:45 - Kickoff. They show no commercials for 45 minutes, at which time, it's about 3:30.

They have 15 minutes to show a regular amount of commercials.

The second half ends just after 4:30, then they have the commercials, wrapup, then ESPN News until 5 PM.

Bottom line - If they have standard 22-25 minute shows, they can show more commericials then if they show soccer. If they show more commercials then they make more money. It doesn't matter if anyone watches or not.

You know those infomercials that air between 2:30 and 6:30 AM, or whatever? They're aired then to make money. Doesn't matter if people watch or not. Same with the CL games.

It's all about money.

As for the announcers, ask in the business and media forum, but I believe Derek Rae, Tommy Smyth, Eddie Mighten, and Shamus Malin, or whoever those guys are, are contracted to ESPN International. Not ESPN United States.

10. rangers00

rangers00 Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Because they prefer to show the CL games on ESPN Deportes. It's not their problem if you don't get this channel. As long as someone in the country gets it, your complaint to ESPN would be responded with:

"talk to your cable company and inquire about this channel".

And you should consider yourself very lucky. One MSO in L.A. (was it Comcast or Charter?) was the first one to sign up ESPN Deportes.

The more you want this channel, the more pressure ESPN can apply to the MSOs to get this channel as a package (including ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN News, etc.) at ESPN's extortion price...

11. rangers00

rangers00 Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Yes, try to visit Asia sometimes. You will very soon be sick of the soccer on ESPN.

Goals, Football Focus, EPL Preview, EPL Review, EPL pre-game show, EPL post-game show, 6 EPL games (on ESPN and Star Sports) this past weekend, 7 CL games (on ESPN/Star Sports), CL post-game, CL wrap, CL magazine, etc.

And worse yet, they repeat these content over and over again...

ESPN suck eggs. Where are all the NFL, NBA and NHL games?

Ans: no NHL games, only 2 NBA games on ESPN and Stars.

ESPN Asia didn't even show these three playoff games:

Carolina x St. Louis
    Green Bay x Philadelphia
    Carolina x Philadelphia

Why is ESPN so pro-American sports in the U.S., but anti-American sports in Asia?

12. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shouldn't it be "Why can soccer on TV make money everywhere else, but not in the U.S.?"

13. MiamiAce

MiamiAce New Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Miami, USA
    Let me answer this silly question...

Because ESPN, the leading sports network in the U.S., does not do ITS part in promoting soccer. Thats part of the answer.

I've seen a lot of smart alec witty responses to my original post, but whether you admit it, deny it, or are unaware, ESPN does indeed have the power to make soccer HUGE in this country. The market is already here in the States. I'm not saying its comparable to the NFL or NBA, but all you have to do is take a look around this board or step outside your house and go to the parks and pubs, and you see a huge demand in the United States for soccer. Its the supply we're lacking in this country. Do you know what is the #1 played sport among our youth? Thats right, soccer. Not baseball, basketball, nor American football. I love my NFL, but a fact is a fact. Soccer is the world's most popular sport and the only reason why its not the same in the United States or Canada is because of the ideals that this country wants to preserve such as "Made in America, only for America". Sometimes when I watch TV, I feel like our country is under communism. Its ludicrous to see how we we are fed the "American-based only" vision. Have you noticed when the World Cup comes around? The whole world is focused on this sporting event, but our media starting with ESPN-U.S. could care less! SportsCenter barely even mentioned the tournament because they were busy analyzing golf, NASCAR, and women's college basketball. Give me a break. Now on the flip side, what about when we have our NFL Superbowl or NBA Finals? Not only is the whole world watching on their MAJOR channels, but a lot of countries send their own commentators who sit in the press seats at our games!! I believe ESPN is worried that if it begins to routinely include overseas soccer in its reports, then the sport will surpass the American sports in popularity. And they might be right.

ESPN, the so-called "world-wide leader in sports" is Communism when it comes to sports coverage. If you can't see that... then they have you right where they want.

14. Jasonisimo

Jasonisimo New Member

Jun 3, 2003
    Boston
    Why do we need ESPN?

I hope my short allegory helps people.

15. rangers00

rangers00 Member

Jun 1, 2000
    False. ESPN2 has had 20-25 MLS telecasts every year, plus almost all games of the USMNT, not to mention all game of the World Cup. ESPN indeed is very friendly to U.S. soccer.

Yes, and you'll probably see 50-60 MLS games, probably all international tournaments involving U.S.A. (e.g. Gold Cup, Confederation Cup, WCQ, etc.), on top of the World Cup on ESPN/ABC.

What does that have to do with this forum? UEFA and Europe?

One thing your camp of people have been whining for years, and I mean at least 4-5 years, is that

EVERY ONE OF YOU THINK ESPN'S SHUNNING OF CHAMPIONS LEAGUE == SHUNNING SOCCER!!!

ESPN is an American channel. If it's to promote soccer, it's American soccer, not a tournament an ocean away.

I've said this 492093032 times. The American sports culture is extremely American-centric. Americans are not interested in foreign competitions, even in sports we like, such as Carribean World Series, European Championship basketball, Japanese baseball, let alone a European tournament in a low profile sport (soccer).

Look no further than the popularity of la Liga/Serie A vs the ratings of MLS.

... for American soccer, not European soccer.

Champions League gets what it deserves on ESPN2. It's a foreign tournament that Americans don't care. If you want soccer on ESPN, stick with the MLS on Saturday afternoon. If soccer hit big time in the U.S., you'll get more MLS, not Champions League, on ESPN.

16. Jimjamesak

Jimjamesak New Member

May 3, 2003
    Anchorage Alaska
    Fox Sports World is not the answer to our TV problems. Some of you guys seriously need to get it thru your head, FSW doesn't give enough exsposure to MLS because it's not well known and is not in as many households. If ESPN shows a sport a lot of times (like NBA, NHL, MLB, NFL) then it will become popular, just take a look at this weekends golf tournament.

17. Jasonisimo

Jasonisimo New Member

Jun 3, 2003
    Boston
    Which I didn't watch, because I was tired after getting up at 7:30am to watch Chelsea v. Arsenal on FSW.

This forum and thread isn't about MLS, anyway.

18. SuperElf

SuperElf Member

Jul 16, 1999
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yea I agree 110%!

Just to add further proof to this though: The ratings on ESPN for college basketball and hockey are terrible. I haven't seen their baseball numbers, but I'm sure they aint great either since they mostly only show out-of-market games (who in market A would watch a baseball game between a team from market B and one from market C, considering the team from market A plays almost everyday??)

Americans have said over and over that their sport's league seasons are way too long and boring. The ESPN ratings illustrate this.

And I don’t buy this argument that Americans are patriotic to the point that they would ignore an international product that is clearly superior to a similar domestic product, IF both products were marketed to them equally. The idea that Americans are more patriotic than most of the rest of the World is pure myth! They’re not, plain and simple.

You see that giant "Fox-Box" that takes-up half the screen during ESPN's soccer broadcasts?? That's a commercial!!

20. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    ESPN/espn2 is one of the most pro-soccer channels in the United States.

21. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    You mean, relative to all channels or compared to other sports-channels? If its the latter I don't think you know what you're talking about! If its the former... well.. okay. They show more soccer than A&E, MTV, and Bravo. Yippeeee.

22. rangers00

rangers00 Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Do you think foreign products like la Liga, European Championship and Champions League are unproven in the U.S.?

There have been many years that ESPN carried these products, and what's the result?

Your only antidote evidence is the packed bars that watch foreign soccer. My evidence are people in the TV business keep taking out foreign soccer telecasts out of their inventories, unless it's a niche channel like FSW or GolTV.

The argument is not that there is 0 true blue Americans accepting European soccer. The argument is that it's minimal, not enough to warrant more broadcasts.

23. tophergannon

tophergannon New Member

Sep 2, 2002
    USA
    The problem, as I see it, is that we're showing far too much US soccer.

I hope we have all come to the realization that US soccer is bland and dull in comparison to the soccer of nearly any other country.

I, a soccer-obsessed moron, will not sit down to watch an MLS game: the quality of play is terrible, the players are unskilled, and the announcing forces me to watch the game in silence; yet, if ever I see a game from any other country, I will drop everything I am doing (including homework and eating) to watch until the final whistle.

If ESPN/ABC's marketing of soccer in the US continues to contain only US soccer, I fear this sport will never reach the status that it could (as the most popular sport in this country; yes, the United States of America) if more international games were shown.

24. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    other sports-channels.

It is. Think what you want, but I am correct.

25. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Fixed your post.