Why is Brazil such a football superpower?

Discussion in 'World Cup 2014: General' started by Snoop-a-luh, Jun 28, 2014.

1. Wolfie65

Wolfie65 Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Albuquerque, NM
    For what it's worth, we played on asphalt school yards, some with gravel. Swan diving not recommended. I did not see my first grass pitch until I was 15.

2. SoyDelMustang

SoyDelMustang Member+

Dec 24, 2007
    Flushing,Queens
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  3. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Member+

Nov 30, 2005
    Novo Hamburgo
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    and sailing too

and well, Guga Kuerten was the best in the world in tennis, for a period.

oh, and how could I forget MMA? You know, Ultimate Fighting and all that.

please elaborate

4. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Silly question ... why is anyone so great at what they do? Because they are. Brazilians are just great at football ... always have been.

5. Je-Ma

Je-Ma New Member

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    It's luck not skill. Especially against Chile. Brazil is not the great team it used to be.

6. Distorted Humor

Jun 26, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    One reason why I hate Brazil.

El Chuma repped this.
  7. Kempa

Kempa Member

Sep 6, 2007
    Washington Suburbs
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Something that I heard once from Jürgen Klinsmann: to have great football, you need to have disorganized football. You need kids to come back from school and go to the pitch, or a yard, or a small court and play. Play for fun, and for love of the game.

That is how Brazil became a great footballing nation. Now the gap has closed. Increased urbanization means that the floodplain fields (campos de várzea) are becoming more scarce, and city kids have less options for playing informally.

An organized league can have one or two games a week, plus one or two practices a week. That is a total of six hours a week playing. A kid coming from school at 1:00 PM and playing until 6:00 PM gets 25 hours of play time a week, without counting weekends when the floodplain fields are taken up by working adults.

The end of the campos de várzea means less and less Brazilian kids get to play for fun.

8. FilipeMB

FilipeMB Member

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    We still have skill. Brasil lacks a coach that can really use players abilities up to all of their potential...

9. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro

Just saying

10. FilipeMB

FilipeMB Member

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    The end of the "campos de várzea" is unfortunately a one-way road.

One good solution for this problem would be the creation of a deep intrastate High School and University leagues and National High School and University Cup. Idealistically, it should a mix of public and private-funded... Not just for football but for other sports too...

11. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    That was a terrible elbow, but could you show any other video of someone acting like that (I guess Felipe Melo but this elbow was career threatening)

So, if you hate a team because of one terrible instance then I guess, you hate:

Brazil
    Argentina
    Uruguay
    France
    Italy

you have a lot of hate on you! should try to take it easy

12. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Nope, I disagree strongly

Felipão is an group forming coach, we are playing bellow our capability but this team is quite pedestrian to start with no real football star (Neymar is still second to Messi in Barça)

13. FilipeMB

FilipeMB Member

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    For sure Neymar is still second to Messi in Barça. But he can't have the same status. Different era, I guess. In the future, Neymar's success should be compared to James Rodriguez's success, not to Messi. Messi has 2 WC to play in the future. Neymar has, at least, 3 WCs to play...

14. Yañez

Yañez Member+

Oct 11, 2005
    Santiago, Llolleo
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    A brazilian asking others why theyre such a powerhouse :ROFLMAO:

Im going to start asking on a scale of 9-10 how handsome am I. Just want people to praise Brazil.

Rickdog and superdave repped this.
  15. Snoop-a-luh

Snoop-a-luh Member

Jun 22, 2014
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    You are entitled to ask why Chile is such a powerhouse as well, buddy. Oh, but wait.

16. Yañez

Yañez Member+

Oct 11, 2005
    Santiago, Llolleo
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    So clever:laugh:

17. Distorted Humor

Jun 26, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Well, The US national team is by far my fave team, and this is most likely the worse foul on a US national team member I can recall. I guess why it sticks with me is Ramos was never the same after he had his skull shattered by that elbow. Also also hate is a bit of a strong word, but I never cheer for Brazil due to that play.

Yea, the other one I was thinking is Felipe Melo, which was more dirty, but less harm inducing. I am too young to have seen the really pretty soccer Brazil used to play in the 1970s and before, and I think of them as a team that is too talented to play as dirty as they sometimes play.

If it makes you feel better, I stopped rooting for Uruguay after the unsportmanlike handball in the last world cup. Though in fairness, that is one bad apple.

18. The411

The411 Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Hate is bred partially from overwhelming success, but I think people dislike Brazil because some of their current players aren't likeable. I think there's also a perception that Brazil has benefited from some extremely dubious officiating not only in this World Cup but others (see 2002 v. Belgium disallowed goal for Marc Wilmots)

Neymar's playacting draws my ire like no other.

19. frero

frero Member

May 11, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    brazilians live and breathe football

20. El Chuma

El Chuma BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 17, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow amazing...

21. Sarah ava

Sarah ava Member

Nov 28, 2015
    Club:
    CSD Xelaju Mario Camposeco
    Brazil is Super power of Football Because they team has strong players.