Why hasn't Lippi or Capello ever been coach

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by soccerfan220, Sep 21, 2002.

1. soccerfan220

soccerfan220 New Member

Jun 24, 2002
    USA
    After all their success at club level, and the fact that we probably need a new coach, y not 1 of them?

2. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Timing hasn't been right. They've always been gainfully employed at the time when a new coach is needed. I'm sure you're right that one or the other will follow Trap.

3. Jawz10

Jawz10 Moderator

Feb 27, 1999
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I hope not. Two of the most old fashioned Italian coaches out there. Brilliant. . .

4. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    I suppose you think Ancelotti would be a better choice. At least these two have WON something. Any other suggestions? Think Italy would ever consider prising Eriksson away from England? Or picking him up, if he ever leaves that job.

5. Jawz10

Jawz10 Moderator

Feb 27, 1999
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I wouldn't want Carlo for the job either, but at least he has the BALLS to try something different or adapt to the hand he's been played. Something Capello and Lippi obviously can't do. They're to cocky to change their tactics, because they already think they're the best.

6. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    You've got to be kidding me. Ancelotti try something DIFFERENT? This is the guy who could not find a spot for David Trezeguet and Thierry Henry in Juve's starting lineup. He stuck with Del Piero and Inzaghi through thick and thin. Sure, they are in great form right NOW, but they really sucked at times in the past two years. Thinking of Inzaghi choking against Lecce two years ago. And ADP choking on ... um, numerous occasions.

Changing tactics??? Adapting to the hand he's been played?? hahahaha. Yes, most coaches can adapt pretty well to the hand he has been played - Nesta, Rivaldo, Seedorf, etc etc etc.

7. Jawz10

Jawz10 Moderator

Feb 27, 1999
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I know these were qualities of Ancelotti in the past, but it seems, at least to me, that he's making an attempt to form a team that isn't afraid to score more than once a game. At Juventus I called him Carlo "draw-a-lotti", but at Milan this season he's found a way to get Rivaldo, Pirlo and Rui Costa on the field at the same time. Capello and Lippi would never DREAM about doing that.

In a perfect world a coach like Luigi Del Neri could coach the Azzurri. But, he isn't accomplished or old enough to even be considered.

8. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Mark my words, he will find a way to throw away the Scudetto. Milan will finish second - to somebody.

9. cardbordwarrior

cardbordwarrior New Member

Jul 13, 2002
    capello should never ever be coach

10. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Why's that? Do you dislike the style of his teams, or just don't like him? Or just because Roma has lost three games in a row? Every coach (team) goes through poor spells. I can't stand the guy myself, but you can't really argue with the success that he HAS had over the years as a manager:

1992 Scudetto (Milan)
    1993 Scudetto (Milan)
    1994 Scudetto, European Champions (Milan)
    1997 Spanish Championship (Real Madrid)
    2001 Scudetto (Roma)

And Lippi's record:

1995 Scudetto (Juventus)
    1996 European Champions (Juventus)
    1997 Scudetto (Juventus)
    1998 Scudetto (Juventus)
    2002 Scudetto (Juventus)

If I'm not mistaken, Zaccheroni and Eriksson are the only other coaches to win the Scudetto in the last ten years!

11. cardbordwarrior

cardbordwarrior New Member

Jul 13, 2002
    Nah actually im a very big roma fan, i just hate to see his constant neverchanging more defensive orriented formations with the talent he has...one things for sure, trap. needs to go

12. soccerfan220

soccerfan220 New Member

Jun 24, 2002
    USA
    ea, but he has been very succesful with Roma