Why Hartford?

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by careerender, Apr 6, 2005.

1. careerender

careerender Member

Jul 10, 2003
    Calvert County, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just don't understand the logic behind chosing Hartford for the T&T return match. Is it like the furthest away from the Trinidadian diaspora? Anyone know the size of the stadium? Not sure I can undertake another 10hour drive like I did to B-Ham.

2. dirk diggler

dirk diggler Member

May 14, 2000
    Fire Daddy!
    Club:
    --other--
    Look at a map and you will understand why Hartford was chosen.
    It is a short drive (about 2 hours) from three cities: NYC, Boston, and Providence.
    I predict a sell-out.

3. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    We are playing in Hartford so that John O'Brien won't have too far to limp in order to file his insurance claim. ;)

4. buckeye5

buckeye5 New Member

Feb 15, 2004
    DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. pasoccerdave

pasoccerdave Member

Mar 30, 2004
    SE Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plus - American football preseason games will be underway, so Foxboro and Meadowlands have limited availability. RFK has given way to MLB's Nationals, so the firld conditions will be suspect.

I suspect this will be the 1 game in the Northeast this go-round.

6. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Wednesday night match against T&T will be lucky to get 25,000. However, I've heard it's a pretty nice venue, save for Draconian tailgate and stadium policies.

7. Chowderhead

Chowderhead Member

Aug 3, 1999
    Central Falls, RI
    It's an ideal choice. The stadium is practically soccer specific. It's located not far from the meeting point of 91 and 84. Besides being close to NYC, Providence and Boston, consider also Worcester, Springfield, Albany, New Haven, Fairfield County, etc.

And while a game with TnT might not have the juice to bust it out on a weeknight, I'd get used to seeing games there. That venue will be used over and over again.

8. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Yea, what the deal with the draconian tailgate and stadium policies ??

9. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Just curious as to who would be organizing the US supporters section for this game? ESC/NJB or Midnight Riders/Revs Army, or maybe the clubs will co-host Sam's Army?

10. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your friends at Madison Square Garden didn't understand soccer last summer. I often wonder what they do understand.

But in today's Hartford Courant, they say they're going to change the rules and allow people to behave like soccer fans. Banners and instruments will be allowed, the works.

11. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Midnight Riders are orgainzing it, and the ball's already rolling on planning (actually was prior to official confirmation of this match).

We fully expect the ESC/NJB to be out in full force for this game, as they were insturmental in the success of the U.S. supporter's section for the USMNT vs. El Salvador WCQ at Gillette Stadium last September.

The Magpie

12. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Our friends at MSG don't even fully understand hockey fans, so I wouldn't expect them to understand soccer fans.

Did they actually ban banners from the Liverpool - Celtic game? Cause not that LFC or CFC supporters travel with banners or anything....

13. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know the details but I guess they pissed off a lot of people, many of which traveled from the UK. There were angry letters in the Courant the weeks after the game. I think they said security was tearing down banners, but I remember seeing some up anyway.

I wonder if we can convince them, now that they're trying to right a wrong, that we MUST bring flags with poles into the stadium. Any other requests?

14. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No actually, I think Trinidad asked it to be even closer to where most of their fans are, and I guess GS wasn't available and Atlantic Avenue is too narrow..

I mean, we go out of our way to make sure we don't have a home filed advantage?

It's a perfect size stadium, l but apparantly the gendarme there make the Cheka look like Boy Scouts.

15. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    smoke bombs and flares ;)

Is there a link to some of those angry letters in the Courant?

16. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah I don't think they archive those. But, flares would be fun, especially since it's a night game. If you say it's an international soccer tradition, you might have a shot..

17. USAClash

USAClash Member

Feb 9, 1999
  18. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Glad to see that the policy of banning flags, banners, and noisemakers is being lifted for both the USA - trinidad WCQ game, and the USA - Wales rugby game.

19. Hey Waft Man

Hey Waft Man Member

Feb 17, 1999
    Colchester, CT
    The thing that concerns me most about the fan experience will be the inbound traffic. Assuming the parking lots open three hours prior to game time, that puts it smack in the middle of rush hour. Getting into and out of the Hartford region at rush hour is a slow process on a good day. The best approaches at that hour will likely be from the east (I-84 West) and southeast (SR 2 West). Plan on extra time if you're coming in from the north (I-91 South) or west (I-84 East). If you're coming in from the south (I-91 North), use the SR 3 North bypass at exit 25, to SR 2 West. Regional traffic updates are broadcast every 10 minutes "on the 8's" on WTIC AM1080. Postgame traffic will be non-existent once you're out of the parking lot. Of course, the nightlife in Hartford is non-existent, too :rolleyes:

The facility itself is a sparkling place. I reviewed it on this board before it opened. It's big enough for these matches, and it's small enough to provide excellent seating all around.

20. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We'll just have to ask them to allow us to tailgate at 4 ... ;)

21. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    And if I was still living in Poughkeepsie (NY) like I did 10 years ago, I would most certainly make the mid-week drive over to Hartford.

Still waiting for a WCQ in LA...

22. WarrenAbao

WarrenAbao New Member

Jul 7, 1999
    Grand Prairie, Tex.
    I was there for Liverpool v. Celtic, and I did see the stewards force the fans at both ends to take down their banners during the match. Of course, later on the fans would just put their banners back up :D

As for "Draconian tailgate policies", I didn't seem to have a problem with tailgating. There were grills, coolers, kegs, and bottles abound! (I even saw this liquor bottle that looked like the Jules Rimet trophy! Top drawer!!)

23. MT mojo

MT mojo New Member

Apr 23, 2004
    Montana
    Piss bags. :p

24. Hey Waft Man

Hey Waft Man Member

Feb 17, 1999
    Colchester, CT
    Assuming the fan festivities will take place on Tuesday night, is anyone interested in getting together on Wednesday around lunch time for an early picnic at a nearby park? There are some nice recreational facilities along the picturesque Connecticut River, within a "goal kick or two" of the stadium. Or, hey, how about a beach party at Hammonassett State Park? It's on/near the driving route if you're coming up from NY/NJ.

- HWM