Why Florida?

Discussion in 'Inter Miami CF' started by SoccerPrime, Dec 10, 2007.

1. celeste4life

celeste4life Member

Dec 16, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    Yea, but a lot of Tampa fans would still come down to see an MLS game. There's a huge difference between both. And yea, the TV exposure will be great. The Pregame show guy will be Minervini for sure. lol.
    Even some people outside of Florida will come down, to see "Barca", and because its the closest team to them

2. loco25

loco25 New Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Chicago
    I live in Chicago. I will come down to Miami to see Miami vs Chicago and some other games.

3. celeste4life

celeste4life Member

Dec 16, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    And so would others that would come for vacation anyways

4. pabloM

pabloM New Member

Feb 21, 2004
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Barca Miami will bring fans from everywhere. I think it will be great.

5. Call me Ralph.

Call me Ralph. New Member

Aug 27, 2008
    New England
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes but fans in Tampa wouldn't be able to go down to games in Miami on a regular basis. But they will have a local USL side that will be easy to get to home games and watch, ie the Rowdies, who have something of a large (albeit dormant) following from the NASL era which can be capitalized on if the new owners play their cards right.

The important thing about the Barca/Miami MLS franchise is that if it is successful it will finally kill off the annoying and destructive anti-Florida pro soccer meme that has been floating out there in the public mind since MLS contracted out of Florida in 2002, which has been ignorantly used to blame Florida soccer fans when the real blame lies with MLS mismanagement.

Success for MLS in Miami will make a "return" of the Rowdies to top flight division one pro soccer in North America much more likely, ie, it will attract some deep pocketed investors to move the Rowdies up to MLS, as has happened with the Seattle Sounders and will eventually happen to other USL clubs like those in Montreal, Portland, and Vancouver.

Tampa is a natural and inevitable MLS rival for Miami and I wouldn't expect Miami to remain the only Florida team in MLS for too long. It will depend on a lot of factors, including how fast or slow MLS expands after going to 18 teams, but I'd be surprised not to see Tampa in MLS within 5 to 10 years after Miami. Probably, IMO, much closer to 5 years.

6. Beazley17

Beazley17 Member

Dec 30, 2006
    South Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just hope that we can get a team realitivley soon, meaning 2010/2011 season.:)

7. viscajunior

viscajunior Member+

Aug 3, 2008
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  8. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sooner than 2010/2011? Not possible. Unless you are counting non-MLS teams like Miami FC of the USL.

9. pabloM

pabloM New Member

Feb 21, 2004
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It will be 2010.

10. Beazley17

Beazley17 Member

Dec 30, 2006
    South Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Either then, or we will have to wait a few years which would suck.

11. rays08

rays08 New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    Bring back the Tampa Bay Mutiny. Rowdies USL big freakin deal. They had a good team like El Pibe, Lassister, Hejduk, and Ralston. Bring team back. Put them in downtown Tampa with a nice 20 to 25,000 seat stadium. The ownership group should be on of the Glazer sons and Carlos Valderrama. Tampa Bay had more success than Miami. I am for the Mutiny in the MLS.

12. pabloM

pabloM New Member

Feb 21, 2004
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS is coming to Miami and not Tampa. Maybe in the future. We all should be happy that Florida is getting an MLS team.