Why Florida?

Discussion in 'Inter Miami CF' started by SoccerPrime, Dec 10, 2007.

1. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why a Florida MLS Expansion subforum?

Florida is the 4th most populated state in the nation. Florida’s total population was estimated at 18,680,367 as of April 1, 2007.

Florida includes 4 large metropolitian areas:
    -Orlando metro (2,057,952 w/394,928 of Hispanic origin)
    -Tampa metro (2,724,271 w/323,533 of Hispanic origin)
    -Jacksonville metro (1,287,102, w/55,096 of Hispanic origin)
    -Miami/Ft. Lauderdale metro (5,717,747, with 2,078,940 of Hispanic origin)
    *source US Census/Claritas est. for 2008

Over the last year, over 2,000 posts have been made in various threads in BS regarding Florida getting a MLS team. Albeit some were against it, but the passion was evident.

Finally its been mentioned several times by MLS Commissioner Don Garber that Miami is in the loop for a expansion potentials. This includes a mention in the last State of the League address on Nov. 16th, 2007 in Washington DC.

2. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there any sort of logic to the order of the teams in the expansion forum? Seems entirely random, and it might be nice to put them in alpha order.

3. notefan16

notefan16 New Member

Sep 10, 2007
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why should Florida get any team. Tampa and Miami already had there chance to support MLS, and failed miseribly. Both clubs had to be retracted shortly after the league began. This also applies to San Jose. To me if your city already had a team and it was not supported then why should you get another chance. Let cities who are truly interested in supporting a team, like St. Louis and Philly have a team.

4. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because you are missing the biggest reason for expansion decision making.

1) Local gov't willing to pay most bills
    2) Wealthy investor

According to newspapers, Miami City/County are willing to spend the money and MLS claims they have a specific investor.

But honestly, this thread really isn't about debating "why", I just wanted to explain to the masses why the mods of BS decided to create a Subforum for Florida.

5. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I was kind of late in getting to this, but I requested it yesterday and it was completed.

6. alexp92

alexp92 Member

Jul 5, 2007
    we've been pushed down the list!:eek::rolleyes::rolleyes:

7. pabloM

pabloM New Member

Feb 21, 2004
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why San Jose, Seattle, Philadelphia and St Louis.the same reasons Miami deserve a team. FT Lauderdale did not failed it was the owner that did not care enough about soccer.

8. alexp92

alexp92 Member

Jul 5, 2007
    hmm, just noticed that you took down OK too.

9. 91TFC

91TFC New Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    OK was always overwhelmed with activity that BS couldn't handle it so they had to close it down. :D

10. Rowdies4ever

Rowdies4ever New Member

Jun 11, 2006
    New England
    Tampa Bay was certainly supported in MLS - no worse than some other clubs that weren't shut down. Tampa didn't have an owner; Miami didn't have a very good owner. Tampa and Miami supporters didn't fail miserably - MLS did. But we have a different MLS now, with new ownership groups willing to buy into the league. Re-expansion of MLS into Florida WILL happen - it is only a matter of how soon. Anyone who thinks that pro soccer "failed" in Florida and doesn't deserve expansion slots in MLS is seriously misinformed - and probably knows nothing about the history of soccer in Florida, which goes a lot further back than MLS itself.

11. pabloM

pabloM New Member

Feb 21, 2004
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well said Rowdies4ever Miami and Tampa deserve a team. I sick of hearing
    how bad we are as a sport town. We plenty of soccer fans that will support MLS and it is time we get an expansion team.

12. Tetello

Tetello New Member

May 5, 2008
    Well said and agreed. The MLS is different now than before. It’s a money making business (well, for the league – perhaps not for team’s just yet). Garber is no fool and he'll definitely want to exploit the heavy influx of Latino’s in places such as Miami (2 million +! WOW!). But as we’ve all seen, what will make or break this from happening is:
    1. Soccer Specific Stadium’s – all I’ve heard on this is that Braman is blocking development
    2. Fan support / pre-sales of season tickets (i.e. Philadelphia and Seattle) – From what I’ve been able to tell from online petition’s, etc.., we’re no where close to the numbers that SOB or Seattle or even Borough Boys (NY2) have put together. WHY???

13. Rowdies4ever

Rowdies4ever New Member

Jun 11, 2006
    New England
    The demographics of Florida aren't much different now than they were in 2001, but the health of MLS is much improved. If Tampa and Miami had had deep pocketed, politically connected, savy ownership with any kind of understanding of soccer marketing in 2001, they would still be in MLS. That's the bottom line.
    Maybe we should ask SOB how they got started. They could give Florida supporters groups some pointers, I'm sure.

14. pabloM

pabloM New Member

Feb 21, 2004
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We soccer fans need to get involve. We can't sit on our hands and hope we get an expansion team. Each and everyone of us need to do our part. If you are not an Miami Ultras go to the web site and join. We need to start by supporting what we have Miami FC.

15. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I lived in Miami briefly back in the Fusion days. Most people I knew, even the soccer fans just didn't want to sit in the heat for 2 hours in the oppressive heat. Many would rather sit home and watch a poor quality video tape mailed by a family member of a game back home in C. or S. America.
    Miami is a great city, but they just don't go to outdoor sporting events in the summer. Look at the Marlins.

16. pabloM

pabloM New Member

Feb 21, 2004
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS and USL games are played late in the afternoon and at night. That's is excuses. The Dolphins get 60,000-70,000 fans at 1:00 PM. for a 3 hours game. If you are really a soccer fan you don't find excuses. Miami is a great place for soccer.

17. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Dolphins aren't playing in June, July and August like an MLS fanchise would. And if Miami is such a great soccer town why did the Fusion fail? Why is the USL team a perrenial bottom of the league team?
    Don't get me wrong I love Miami and would love to see a team there, but only if it can be demonstrated that the situation is vastly improved since the last time.

18. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The point of this thread wasn't really to debate the validity of MLS in Florida. It was more like a explanation of why the forum exists at all, even in the fantasy world of MLS expansion.

However I would point out that Toronto Lynx of the then USL1 were continually bottom-feeders when it came to attendance, but Toronto FC of MLS has been doing rather polar opposite. Would that happen in Miami/Tampa/Orlando/Escambia Bay? I have no idea, but its possible.

19. The Fox

The Fox Member

Jul 10, 2006
    Gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it comes down to perception. If people have an impression that something is inferior they don't buy into it. However that impression can be changed through marketing which means spending money.

People need to see something tangible and permanent, such as a stadium which again means spending money. When people see commitment from the owners they will then take ownership of the club. People will spend for quality.

There's more then enough people in Tampa and Miami that will come out and support an MLS club no worse and probably better then the average MLS attendance.

As far as the problems of USL Miami, all of the above apply. A USL club properly run would be successful. We will see in 2010 when the Tampa Bay Rowdies join the USL whether this will be the case. The ownership group have given themselves plenty of lead time to set the organization in place with plans to build an expandable stadium without taxpayer dollars.

IMHO I think the ownership group will transition the club into the MLS in the near future as the club prospers.

20. pabloM

pabloM New Member

Feb 21, 2004
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You don't sound like you really love Miami. Miami FC is a great team that is doing very very well. Miami is a great city for MLS and with the right location and soccer stadium. it would do great.

21. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    lllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

22. Call me Ralph.

Call me Ralph. New Member

Aug 27, 2008
    New England
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your barcode has defeated my CueCat. Please explain. :)

23. loco25

loco25 New Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Chicago
    Why Miami? Because is a Beautiful and a great city. With lots of soccer fans that will support MLS. MLS wants to come to Miami that is the fact. With Barca & Claure they will come maybe as early as 2010. It will be a great road trip.

24. celeste4life

celeste4life Member

Dec 16, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    The Fusion didnt fail. They won the supporter's shield in their last season. And now, Miami would have all of Florida as fans, since there's no Tampa team, and there's 10X more South Americans now

25. drSoFlaFan

drSoFlaFan DEFEND THE FORT!

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think they would have all of Florida's fans. Remember Tampa Bay is getting the Rowdies back in 2010. It may be USL, but they will be loyal to that team no doubt. A Miami team would however reach the whole state on TV, and the east coast fans would probably latch on to the team. The key thing is that a Miami team would bring MLS onto TVs in Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Palm Beach, The Keys, Orlando, the Panhandle, Jacksonville and Tampa, that's lots and lots of households, on a much more regular basis than it is now. TV exposure is a big time advantage for Miami in the expansion race.