Why don't we play host to a top team in an international friendly?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Soccerfever, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Moaca

Moaca Member

Mar 8, 2006
    Tks to Jonny63 at Vs for headsup

Japan pulls out of Copa America

ASUNCION, Paraguay (AP)—Japan withdrew from this year’s Copa America on Monday, leaving the 12-nation tournament with only 11 teams just three months before it is due to start.

The president of the Japanese Football Association Junji Ogura said the most important thing was for his country to rebuild after the devastating earthquake and tsunami that struck northeast Japan on March 11.

“The priority at this moment is to continue saving lives and rebuilding the country after the earthquake and tsunami,” Ogura said after meeting with officials of CONMEBOL, South American football’s governing body.

CONMEBOL president Nicolas Leoz said he would meet with other continental leaders to discuss inviting a replacement.

CONMEBOL spokesman Nestor Benitez suggested Costa Rica or Canada as possible replacements but said nothing had been decided. “CONMEBOL will make a final decision relying on the consensus of its members,” Benitez said.

The Copa America will be played July 1-24 in Argentina. Both Japan and Mexico had planned to send teams largely made up of youth players to the tournament, with Mexico’s top team competing in the Gold Cup—the championship of North America, Central America and the Caribbean, which will be held in June. (Gold Cup semi-final June 22, final June 25 - JM)

Leoz said Japan would be invited to play in the 2015 Copa America, which is to be hosted by Brazil. Japan also played in the 1999 Copa America.

“We are sorry to be pulling out because we recognize that we have advanced in football by being close to South American (teams),” Ogura added.

2. Soccerfever

Soccerfever Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Laval(Canada)
    Again,I have stated that Australia was mentionned due to the fact that it is located somewhat far away...but even with the distance factor,they still managed to bring over two(the Netherlands and Argentina) global football powerhouses within the last few years.So like you said and like I meant earlier,the distance/air travel has nothing to do with it.

As for Canada being a worthy opponent,I agree.It's not appealing for other teams to play us.However,it is hard to believe that the CSA wouldn't be able to find a FIFA Top 30 national team from outside the region to face us.But you know what,the CSA is too busy trying to push teams in MLS.It's pretty much all they've done in the last few years on the senior side.

In the last 8 years or so,we have faced Scotland,Spain,Greece,Germany,Argentina,Switzerland,Brazil,Ukraine,The Republic Of Ireland,Northern Ireland...For the most part,quality teams,yet we faced all of those teams away from home.So the CSA wants more people to get behind the beautiful game,yet the only way to watch team Canada against some of the most reknown teams is on TV(because the match is held outside the country)with tape-delay most of the time.I mean by now,they should have tried that at least once.The national team should be an important instrument for the game to grow in popularity,yet,the CSA officials do not seem to see things that way... :rolleyes:

3. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Regarding a possible Copa America call up, CBC reports that Spain have been officially offered the spot.

4. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Canada would have a hard time fielding a decent team considering MLS won't release their players and anyone who plays in the Gold Cup, the European clubs aren't going to be thrilled to see them play the entire summer in tournaments.

5. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Yes. Bring in a truly big name team to one of the larger venues (Skydome, Olympic Stadium, BC Place, or maybe Commonwealth) and the game would pay for itself.

6. msers

msers New Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC

Belarus, 37th in the world.

Where do you suggest we play this game at this time of the year?

7. msers

msers New Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    CSA pushing teams in MLS? How?

As for the topic at hand; I don't think you're considering all the factors. First off there's a very limited amount of time to work with in terms of when games can be hosted in Canada, that is climate (consider if teams would be willing to play and if fans would be willing to watch) and FIFA dates. It's also alot about money, can the CSA afford to pay big ticket prices for friendlies that are far from locks at the gate. It's easy to say that England or Argentina would sell out in Canada but that it a huge gamble that I'm rather glad the CSA doesn't take. As for the games we do get, I'm happy with them, I'd rather see us up against a team that we have a chance of beating (FIFA rank of 20-40) that's also quality then a team that's going to paste us. Imagine if Canada lost to Argentina in Toronto 5-0! What would the media be saying about the state of soccer in Canada then? Other factors would be TV rights, how much could a European FA sell the TV rights for a game being broadcast in the middle of the night?

8. JLoeza

JLoeza Guest

In case you didn't see my comment, I wrote "moreso the first two." And 37th in the world isn't bad at all (although I think they are ranked too high). Play it anywhere in Canada where a decent crowd will show. I saw BC Place firsthand, seems like a good venue for games.

9. Moaca

Moaca Member

Mar 8, 2006
    Thank you for hitting the nail directly on the head. In the bizarro world of Canadian fan support there are no guarantees. This post took the words right out of my mouth, paying that kind of big money for a "glamorous" opponent would be a risk I certainly wouldn't take. As the NT improves and they get a little more notoriety maybe this will come to fruition.

We've become a much more sophisticated market. TorVanMtl will no longer be sucked in by big name Euro clubs sending their "B" sides. We have something of our own to support now and have a stake in, in games that actually count in standings. If it's not the best that comes to visit, we won't buy in.

10. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    I disagree about the assessment of risk. I think there would be very little risk for a truly big name opponent hosted in one of our largest venues. Without meaning to start a ranking debate, I'm thinking of one of a very select number of teams such as Argentina, Brazil, England, Italy, or Spain.

To my mind, a greater risk would accrue to inviting teams that would still command substantial fees but, for different reasons, would be less than a lock on a sell out. Teams like the Netherlands, Germany, or France, for example.

All this being said, I'm happy for now for the CSA to arrange matches against slightly lower ranked countries (say between 20 and 60 in the rankings) so long as our team is getting regular competition. Given how CONCACAF uses the FIFA rankings in setting up WCQ it's important that we play enough games to give ourselves a shot at a higher ranking.

11. Soccerfever

Soccerfever Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Laval(Canada)
    Ever heard the name Kevan Pipe?He's one of the main reasons Toronto FC got into MLS.Pipe is no longer at the head of the CSA,but when he was ,he was the one one who pushed for MLS in Canada and he made it clear a few years ago that this was his goal in order to improve Canadian soccer.Like I have stated,Pipe is no longer at the head of the CSA,but the one(s) who took over from him are continuing the task he started...That's why we now have the Whitecaps in MLS and next year,it will be the Montreal Impact's turn to join MLS...

Yes,I agree with you on this one.

That's what I'd like to know,the CSA's budget for let's say a year.What kind of money is at their disposal.However,when you consider that the 2007 U-20 World Cup was a success attendancewise,is it that hard to believe that a Spain(full squad)-Canada match wouldn't attract much?I don't think so!Any quality team from outside the region who bring in their best squad(or close to it) could draw well if they advertise it properly.

Why not?I've been following team Canada for the last 8 years or so and not even once,the people who are like me,who support team Canada,can we get the chance to see our national team play a friendly against a modern giant of the game in an international friendly played within our borders!Can't the CSA try that,let's say once every 2-3 years or so?Those who have been faithful to the team can't be rewarded once in a while?Why should we always have to settle to cable TV when it comes to watching the national team play?

You're happy with them?Okay well I'm not!Why?Because those teams,for the most part,are teams that we face in World Cup qualifying or in the Gold Cup anyway(and that is not going to change because they are part of CONCACAF,just like us).And if,like most of us,you want the game to be elevated to another level,you're gonna have to aim higher and not always settle for ''the same old teams''.
    We faced Honduras last September at the Saputo stadium.We won the match which is good but it was against a team that went to the World Cup,and couldn't even score a single goal...Is that the kind of friendly we should be aiming for?We,Canadians who support the team don't deserve better opposition than this?The CSA is gonna have to reward us at some point.How can they expect people to follow the team under their current guidance?

The 5-0 defeat to Argentina was a pre-World Cup warm up.Maradona who was the then coach of the team had finalized most of his squad by the time we played them.What he did was the he fielded a lineup where the players on it had to impress to grab the last few spot on the squad to make it to South Africa.That's why they fired all cylinders on our @sses.Anyway,is there a shame to lose to a FIFA Top 20 team,when we don't have a professional league?When soccer isn't the number one sport in this country?There should be no shame losing to let's say Germany or Japan by 4-5 goals considering what I've stated.

Yeah,I agree with you on this!

12. NoRightFoot

NoRightFoot Member

May 18, 2006
    Melbourne, at times.
    Club:
    Malmo FF
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    The point is - Top players or teams around the world aren't going to sit in a plane for however many hours to play a match against a team where they already know what the result is going to be.

I'm not being a smartass. I have witnessed it first hand.

13. Moaca

Moaca Member

Mar 8, 2006
    Not until the huge populations of TO and Mtl can start selling out friendlies and WCQs. They haven't proven it and frankly don't deserve big games. Moncton, St John's, and Winnipeg could do better with a tenth of the population.

14. RedCoatsforever

Jun 10, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It's entirely true, talking about all the faithful support is lovely, until you look at the attendance for friendlies in Canada with Peru and Honduras, and recognize that on top of the abyssmal numbers of spectators pulled, it's also about a 50/50 split for support.

15. JLoeza

JLoeza Guest

Yes they will- for $.

16. Soccerfever

Soccerfever Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Laval(Canada)
    Yes,good point indeed.

As long as the match is played in Canada.Whether it's Halifax,Calgary,Charlottetown,I doesn't matter to me.The CSA is really screwing up and doesn't know the potential of the support that Team Canada could get...

17. Moaca

Moaca Member

Mar 8, 2006
    This much I know.

Little Moncton NB (pop around 100k) is getting a U2 concert this summer. This concert will not be held at the new 10k stadium but basically in a glorified farmer's field (Pope JP II visited and it later became a concert site).

Cities of 100k don't get U2 concerts unless they have shown a previous capability to draw large crowds. U2 is expected to draw at least 50k (likely much higher).

I know that they can get 10k for the NT in a qualifier or even a friendly for that matter and the matter of it being a "home" game isn't even up for discussion.

18. RedCoatsforever

Jun 10, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Truth is though, if it's a big ticket event in Moncton, you've essentially got a population of 370,000 give or take. The CMNT would draw a capacity crowd at the new 10,000 seat stadium, hell, it would still probably be full if they expanded to 20,000 as they did for the Argos, I'd bet.

19. NoRightFoot

NoRightFoot Member

May 18, 2006
    Melbourne, at times.
    Club:
    Malmo FF
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Ok, maybe occasionally. :)

I recall a a two match series out here against Brasil in '98 I think (I haven't bothered to check any facts) where they didn't bother bringing any regular starters out. Even the Australian team didn't. I remember there being a stink about it in the media because Kewell did all the lead up publicity and then his then manager, David O'Leary, yanked him back to England. If I'm not mistaken, it was around the time Ronaldinho Gaucho started making waves.

20. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure if you put the right $ figure in front of Argentina a week ago, they'd have played a game with you after they played us in New York. It's always easier though to get South American teams who know that they can make more money traveling than the Euro squads who know they can sell out at home. Especially England.

21. NoRightFoot

NoRightFoot Member

May 18, 2006
    Melbourne, at times.
    Club:
    Malmo FF
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    You're probably right, and again I haven't bothered researching any facts, but a lot of the South American teams have always struck me as teams that would give anything just to play football. Regardless of who it's against. You couldn't really say that about a lot of the European powers.

22. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's more about how they can make a lot more money playing in the States or Europe than at home. Brazil is basically a traveling national team. Playing friendlies for cash in a stadium near you.

23. Moaca

Moaca Member

Mar 8, 2006
    Uh, guys, this thread is about Canada getting home friendlies.

24. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So are you saying that Canada will never under any possible scenario play a home friendly with a South American team? :confused:

25. NoRightFoot

NoRightFoot Member

May 18, 2006
    Melbourne, at times.
    Club:
    Malmo FF
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Ok, well, we're in. :)