Why don't the women exchange jerseys?

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by kolabear, Jul 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why don't women exchange jerseys more often at the end of games?

I think I saw Isabel Herlovsen offer to exchange with Marta but Marta declined. Kudos to Isabel for asking but maybe Marta has a legit excuse - the Brazil federation is so cheap in its support of their women's team they probably only have a couple extra kits per player.

There's an article on HuffingtonPost in which Josefine Öqvist takes off her jersey for a fan in the stands - I think it's part of a skit and not for real, but it did trigger the thought - why not? The men do it and I'm sure the women who are watching love that part of the show. Why don't the women do it more often?

I can think of a few players on the French squad who wouldn't be too shy about it.

2. angrybluebaby

angrybluebaby New Member

Jul 31, 2009
    I saw that too, but Martalooked like she was trying to explain and gesture to the change rooms - I wonder if it happened back stage ?

could it be something not encouraged by FIFA - which I can understand, can you imagine the youtube clip compilations of all these shirt exchanges and then the comments and attention given by some charming not-very-original members of the opposite gender (seems quite q few)? Won't really help to cultivate women professional soccer image

3. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    all women dont like showing off their sports bras in public. i'm assuming they do it off the field. why would they not do the gesture?

4. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    I know the Germans made off with a bunch of Norwegian shirts from the 2007 WWC. They showed Bresonik and Lingor wearing Norwegian jerseys while in their room, after their match. (And I've seen some Norwegians on FB with German shirts, too.)

I think it happens, but maybe not on the field, like the men.

5. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I saw a picture yesterday with NZ's Ali Riley with a Mexico jersey - of course it was probably one of her Stanford ex-teammates.

I just think, you know, that, for those who aren't uncomfortable with it, this should, you know, be gently encouraged (and by the way in college you often see the women changing out of their jerseys after the game)

6. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why? so you can leer at women in sports bras?

Come on man.

/Chris Carter

7. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Member+

Nov 30, 2005
    Novo Hamburgo
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    whats your source?

8. Sund-fans

Sund-fans Member

Jan 27, 2005
    Sundsvall
    Club:
    Umeå IK
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Also Sweden is short of jerseys, so they can't afford to exchange jerseys after every game. (The Men's NT can always do it) It have been made demands on the federation to also give the women jerseys enough to exchange every game.

9. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was Brandi Chastain a high point or a low point in the sport?

10. Sund-fans

Sund-fans Member

Jan 27, 2005
    Sundsvall
    Club:
    Umeå IK
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    I have to correct myself. The Swedes actually have Jerseys enough for exchange this year. For the first time.

Source; Charlotte Rohlin

11. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Low point. If she is remembered because she ripped off her shirt and not for her sterling career, well, that's pretty demeaning. It was certainly iconic, and since it happened heat of the moment, it was overall, pretty cool. But not necessarily a moment we want to try to replicate.

12. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    +3.

13. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Josefine Öqvist gets off - her jersey, exchanges it with a stranger after a WWC match

Swedish striker Josefine Öqvist (who is #14 for Sweden) takes off and changes her jersey, gives to a fan (who is a complete stranger), trades for his shirt in return, and puts his shirt on her body before she begins to run off, and in the process she was exposing her entire upper front body, right in front of the male crowd. You can see people in the crowd taking pictures of her chest while the jersey exchange is happening.

Video is shown below.

Controversy perhaps?
    Perhaps not.

*LINK*
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWONcfgUPcA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWONcfgUPcA[/ame]

Josefine Öqvist
    [​IMG]

Josefine Öqvist
    http://s11.lucyphotos.com/images/orig/c/d/cd3id5oenycbnecd.jpg

14. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Re: Josefine Öqvist gets off - her jersey, exchanges it with a stranger after a WWC match

And here's the "censored" version.
    Not sure why it's censored.
    She's wearing a sports bra.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4EZo-DuM_g&feature=player_embedded"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4EZo-DuM_g&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

15. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I'm always amazed by how many around for for this dude's stick..it's getting quite lame, really.

Anyway, according to one ESPN article, the Brasilan FA has instructed Marta(and I assume the rest of her teammates) not to exchange jerseys until the end of the tournament.

16. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
  17. sisterluke

sisterluke Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see what's wrong with exchanging shirts at the end of the matches. If the men can do it, why can't the women too? It's football tradition is it not?

A sports bra is not exactly revealing or sexy, its .... a sports bra. It's not like the women are naked underneath their shirts so what's the scandal?

The only reason I think they don't is maybe the women aren't comfortable showing their bra out in front of a few people. Or the shirt they are wearing is literally the only shirt they own which I find hard to believe.

18. tcrawdad

tcrawdad New Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Josefine Öqvist gets off - her jersey, exchanges it with a stranger after a WWC match

Big frigging deal

Now, when she whips off the sports bra and gives it to someone, THATS news!

19. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008

I would have paid her $10.00 to do just that.
    I would have then given her an extra $10.00 to purchase her sports bra.
    She would have then made enough on-site cash to go to the concession stand after the match at the stadium, and buy herself a beer, hot dog, and soft pretzel with cheese dip, while wearing my cheap sunglasses that I traded to her as a token gift to her for her very own Swedish generosity.

20. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
  21. kickinthehead

kickinthehead Member

Mar 17, 2006
    They probably don't want to exchange shirts for the same reason the men don't exchange their shorts on the field. Why don't men exchange shorts on the field? I mean, they'd just be standing there in underpants which is just like a swim suit?

22. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Josefine certainly thinks there's nothing wrong with it ............

[​IMG]

23. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

The censoring is meant to be a joke. ;)

24. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Well until this year it was for Sweden and we are not one of the poorest Womens programs so I guess only haveing one shirt or one shirt/torunamnet isn't that unusall. And if only one team can excanhge shirt after the game it will not be much exchanging done.

25. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed.

You want to see women in their bras? Join the Victoria's Secret mailing list.

Many women's teams have not been provided with enough jerseys by their federations to exchange shirts after every game.

kola you asked if Brandi Chastain was a high point or a low point. Was her making the pk that won the 1999 WWC a high point for the USWNT? Yes. Very much a high point. To focus on her celebration rather than what she was celebrating is, at best, ridiculous -- especially for a professed soccer fan.

You also fail to notice or remember that she was not the first or only player in the 1999 WWC to remove her shirt in celebration of a goal.