Why does everyone doubt the USA?

Discussion in 'Copa América Centenario 2016' started by JacopeX, Feb 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JacopeX

JacopeX Member

Feb 4, 2006
    USA
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Just curious. Because im pretty shocked that they are predicted to be in last place. They are not that bad. Im not trying to stick up for the USA, but I just want your word at them.

2. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    comments fro its coach
    the history created by B Arena ( he never care about the tournament....is that the attitude at the USA federation)
    and 3rd: the USA never faced 2 tournaments so close to each other (ea gold cup thing), do they have 2 teams or just the same grp of 20 players for both cups?)

3. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Why are you so shocked that the US is picked last? This is a tough group. Who do you think will finish last?

Aside from all these teams having unquestionable talent, don't forget that Colombia is almost at home, right next door to Venezuela, and Paraguay should also feel at home in Venezuela's tropical weather.

Actually, to tell the truth, it is meaningless to make predictions until we see how seriously each country takes the tournament. Let's see who's in each squad first, then we can make meaningful predictions.

4. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Yeah, the US will finish last, but I think they'll do for a decent showing. A heartful and enthusiastic performance. Very tough group.

5. Illrod3

Illrod3 Member

Jul 17, 2006
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    All the US is taking a "B" team to the Copa so they are already lowering their own expectations. Not to diss our Central American neighbors but if you think that playing away in Central America is tough, S. America will be that much harder as they take futbol much more seriously (there's no baseball to compete, except for Venezuela). Paraguay and Colombia are tough and Argentina can be just dominant, hence it falls to the US to finish last.

6. Amercali

Amercali Member

Mar 28, 2005
    New Jersey
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    The US can beat anyone at any given time. US beat Argentina 3-0 in Uruguay '95, and they have improved so much since then.

7. Danilo-11

Danilo-11 Member

Dec 20, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    As far as I know, if Colombia plays in Western Venezuela or Caracas...
    then Colombia is playing at home.
    Not because is close to Colombia, but because of the colombians that live there

It's very similar to a game of Mexico in the US in a state close to Mexico

8. lemons

lemons Member

United States
    Nov 20, 2004
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    People are doubting us because we are planning to send our "B" team. We've got the Gold Cup to focus on, and that's our primary focus. Still, it should be a fun tournament regardless of where we finish.

9. carpediem175

carpediem175 New Member

Oct 6, 2003
    Pompton Plains , NJ
    If the US does not bring it's absoulute best team, it will be very hard to go deep in the tournament. However, we did just beat a highly motivated Mexican A team with largely a B squad. But Mexico is no Argentina. Best of luck to all.

10. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    no name calling or insults please

if you do not want your posts deleted.

11. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    <<<<<< Mod Note >>>>>>>

Ok people no trolling and no personal attacks.

Also please don't respond to the troll because your post will also be deleted.

Just use this [​IMG] and one of us mods will clean up the mess.

12. tedfirestone

tedfirestone Member

Feb 20, 2007
    People are picking USA to finish last for 2 reasons

1. It is an admittedly tough group and last place isn't necessarily Terrible.

2. Many people in South and Central America want USA to suck like in the past so bad that it overrides their logic for picking matches.

I saw a thread on an earlier site where numerous people from South America thought USA won't even qualify for the next World Cup from their easy CONCACAF Qualifying Group.

I am confident that USA will make the next round of this tournament (though admittedly less so with a potential B-Team)

One thing I will be looking for in Copa Sudamericana is if any of the South American teams will lose their cool and start hacking US players due the perceived shame of losing to the United States in a major tournament.

See: Mexico in World Cup 2002

13. dsp87260

dsp87260 New Member

Mar 19, 2005
    If you're talking about Bob Bradley's comments, those are being taken out of context.

You're wrong about Bruce Arena too.....as far as I know, he wasn't the one to turn down the Copa invites while he was Coach. (He actually scheduled and played a few friendlies down in S. America in his first cycle.) It was the USSF who declined in those years because of MLS being in season. When we went in 93 and 95 MLS didn't exist yet.

We have enough players for two teams, but just barely. That's why this whole "B team" thing is being discussed.....Bradley has said he will integrate the Euro players and MLS players and have a mix for both tournaments. The stronger mix will play in the Gold Cup, but the mix to play in the Copa isn't expected to be that much weaker than the first mix. There will be a few players to play in both.

14. Chivin

Chivin Member

Aug 4, 2006
    LA
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    he did say that he the copa america wasn't a good idea, he said that it was better to get friendlies against european teams.
    Anyway. Anything could happen, but it's clear that the USA will give preference to the gold cup, and that will affect them even if they decide to take the same team.

15. dsp87260

dsp87260 New Member

Mar 19, 2005
    I don't remember him ever saying that, but I do agree with that sentiment.

We have actually been pretty competitive against South American teams in general....

Against Euro teams our record isn't nearly as good (and our record on Euro soil is abysmal).

16. JacopeX

JacopeX Member

Feb 4, 2006
    USA
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Actually you only got two wins on us and we defeated you two times aswell. here is something not right about that chart at all.

17. dsp87260

dsp87260 New Member

Mar 19, 2005
    No, this is correct...I posted the numbers from 1999-2006 (that should be obvious with the years listed above each set of games).

Who's "us"?:confused:

18. dsp87260

dsp87260 New Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Here's the complete record since 1990 if that'll help the confusion...

19. NoRightFoot

NoRightFoot Member

May 18, 2006
    Melbourne, at times.
    Club:
    Malmo FF
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Thats a fair record overall, but I think the majority of negative opinion stems from the performance at the WC. That and there are probably a few countries that are hoping you fail. In all honesty, it will be tough, that is a given and a lot of the teams the US have beaten in the past have improved out of sight, but by the same token you won't know until you try and if anything it's great experience. It can be a real bastard playing in South America where some teams tend to play above themselves in their own conditions, so if you're able to overcome that you'll have done well regardless of results.

20. dsp87260

dsp87260 New Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Thanks and I agree. I think you'll see from that record that we actually are capable of doing well down in South America. The only place we've really had any problems being competitive is in Europe. We even have an ok record against Euro teams when playing outside of Europe, but we have almost no wins at all on Euro soil....absolutely none when you only look at competitive/official matches (WC, Confed Cup).

Here's our record vs Europe in that same time so you can compare...

21. Chivin

Chivin Member

Aug 4, 2006
    LA
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Don't want to start an arguement, but those records indicate that the USA has had a negative record against S.A. teams in S.A., so it would be very good for the USA to start playing away games.

22. NoRightFoot

NoRightFoot Member

May 18, 2006
    Melbourne, at times.
    Club:
    Malmo FF
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Yeah look I don't really think past results or records are going to have any bearing, but I think it will be a great learning curve for years to come and a good insight into the technical style of SA football. It'll also be a nice warm up for september when we pop over there and kick your ass. ;) So my advice is just enjoy it and pay no attention to final score lines at this stage. :cool: Unfortunately both the US and Mexico got stiffed with the groupings but it really will augur well for the future.

23. dsp87260

dsp87260 New Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Here's our WC record....

Notice that we have done well (or at least better than expected) every time we've played outside of Europe.....and of course, pretty much all our games in Europe are losses.

24. dsp87260

dsp87260 New Member

Mar 19, 2005
    We also have some big wins down there....the record shows we're competitive, which was my point.

25. dsp87260

dsp87260 New Member

Mar 19, 2005
    "Don't count your chickens...."

I'm bettin' we win that match.:p