why do you support your club

Discussion in 'France' started by hbk4894, Jun 12, 2010.

1. hbk4894

hbk4894 Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    when and why do you support your club

i have supported by club since 2000 and i support them because they are my local team

2. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    [​IMG]
    number one answer!!!

there are some other acceptable ones... i think a lot of the people here who support french teams do so because they spent a year at school in, or their parents came from, a certain city.

but picking a team because they have big names or have won a lot of trophies is bogus. that's why a lot of people on BS make me smile, with barcelona, chelsea and inter ALL on their fan profile.

a great thing i admire about english fans is that if you're from rochdale or huddersfield you root for rochdale or huddersfield. liverpool? united? they exist only to be hated. it's the dale or terriers all the way! just like wanderers are for you.

MadeInIllinois repped this.
  3. Catel

Catel Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Lyon, France
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Wow... I liked La famille en or when I was a kid. :)

I used to watch Combien ça coûte too. The intellectual complexity of this show was fitting my age (13). :D

4. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    i never really watched anything but jeopardy, (too bad it never caught on on french TV) but i love that number one answer! line.

5. Catel

Catel Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Lyon, France
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyUQAvUSn_o&feature=related"]YouTube- les inconnus - simple comme bonjour[/ame]

Plein pot en trois manches, atout coeur ! :p

6. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I had no choice...:eek:

7. lovingthegreen

May 29, 2006
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very true. I spent some time in Paris several years ago and have somewhat followed PSG for a while for that reason. It's also helpful that pretty every competitive game they play is on TV in France (i.e. on some online stream that I can access) and their website has a pretty good subscription service where you can watch all 90 minutes of every competitive game they play a day or two after the games are played. If I lived in France, it would be different, and I would likely support whichever team was closest for the most part. (obviously, if it was Paris then it would still be PSG although I would consider Paris FC, etc., and I would absolutely support a team from a different part of France if I was not living in Paris)

So true. How successful a team is should have absolutely zero effect on whether you start supporting that team. And if it is a local team even better because there is absolutely nothing like going to the games and being at the stadium. So, so much better than watching games on TV. But obviously if you grew up with a team then had to move far away that's different.

8. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    Montpellier, because I studied and lived there, stood and sang in the Butte Paillade with only 4000 other fans in the stadium, loved the city, and loved those games. They may have been the darlings of L1 this year, but there was also something very pleasing about beating Niort and Chateauroux in 2007.

Chelsea, a bit of a longer story - my parents divorced when I was 12, my dad purchased the cable package that got the EPL as a way to get me over to his house. I turned it on one day and watched Chelsea beat Spurs 2-0 (must have been 1998 or 99), and decided they were my team.

9. Tsigalko

Tsigalko Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    My family used to vacation in the south of France when I was a kid in the mid 90ies, got tickets to the Vélodrome once at it was a wrap.

Local Ligue 1 team would be Lyon (shudders) so I don't feel to bad about joining the to OM wagon since I missed all the actual successful years. Nowadays local pro team is Évian Thonon Gaillard FC which I do go and see now and then when I'm in that area.

10. Gnafron

Gnafron Member

Sep 5, 2005
    Lyon, Cx-Rousse
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Although I've spent most of my life abroad I was born in Lyon from a family settled there for centuries… I am a supporter of all the teams of my home-town, l'Olympique Lyonnais is my only football club…

My father was more a rugby fan but as he knew Helenio Herrera quite well we would often listen to the local italian radio reports of Inter or As Roma games (no TV at home :D), alas I was too young to remember him when we would meet.

I do follow some other clubs, usually because I've visited the cities/stadiums: in England I had 2 close friends supporting Millwall and with my father in Scotland during holidays we would go and attend Celtic's games, 2 great experiences as a child…:p

While not really supporting those clubs, I usually try to follow what's happening there and watch the games if I find them while zapping TV broadcasts and streams…

My favourite players were Michel Platini and Michael Laudrup so I would try to go in bars and pubs to watch the teams where they've played…

11. N. Platini

N. Platini Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Londres
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Because I'm a Parisien , my father used to take me to matches as a young kid frequently .

AC Ajaccio - I don't support them , just have a soft spot for them as my granfather was from the area .

12. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    im a PSG FAN CAUSE MOST of my family is from PARIS i use to go when i was little visting my family mostly on my moms side and on my dads side i have family in NICE and FRANCH-comte i was born in ToURAINE small little town called AMBOISE so i have a very soft spot for TOURS FC i like the Tourangeaux people alot

13. Malouda15

Malouda15 New Member

Oct 24, 2010
    Tours
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I support Tours in France because it's my Home Town, but because of I'm a big fan of English Football, il also support Chelsea. I also follow the results of Evian Thonon Gaillard because it's my former Home Town before I moved in Tours, but without really support them as I do with Tours

I think I would love Tours even if I didn't live here beacause of the shirt that I like and the good players there is in Tours

I know wher is Amboise ^^ It's not so far from where I live

14. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I started watching footy circa '96 (I was 9 or 10 at the time) and one Sat. morning I just remember coming across a Lyon-l'OM game. Somehow, l'OM I became really fond of the team and I am assuming a lot of had to do with having read about the CL title as well as its large following.

I have a tendency to follow/support teams that have a recent history of struggles (by "recent" I mean the last 20 years), as well as a substantial fanbase, such as Dortmund, Liverpool, Inter Milan and of course l'OM.

Ever since I moved to the 'States, I've been able to follow Marseille a lot more closely thanks in great part to TV5 as well as FSC/FS+.

Cheers and great thread, btw. :cool:

15. gaby0175

gaby0175 New Member

Nov 22, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    My favourite French team has always been "Allez Les Verts" - I have no connection with St. Etienne, I just decided to keep an eye on them about ten years ago. Mind you, as a Chelsea fan I guess I'm a glutton for punishent !!

http://www.soccerfansconnected.com

16. chipotaple

chipotaple Member

Mar 31, 2006
    CA
    Club:
    CD Chalatenango
    I support Inter Milan because my favorite player played there back in the early 2000's. I started following them since he joined in the late 90's.

Inter Milan has signed many of the players I like through the years, and then I just grew accustomed to following the team.

I still like many of the current players, but I will always prefer the late 90's early 00's Inter Milan era.

They didn't win much back then, but the playing style was far superior IMO.

So your comment, although accurate in many cases, is not always accurate.

I don't care if they won the champions league last year although I supported them and was very happy they won), I will still always prefer the earlier era.

17. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    AS Nancy Lorraine
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    My mother is from Nancy and my father is from Morzine. Skiing trumps soccer there.
    Plus who doesn't like the Barca/Arsenal style that Nancy bring to the French League?:D

I studied in Nice for a year, and watched a lot of Monaco games. At the time Henry and Trezeguet were the strikers. 20 francs got you field side tickets!