Why do you choose not to stand in the Supporters' Sections?

Discussion in 'Columbus Supporters Clubs' started by Ch(Elsey), Oct 3, 2011.

1. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    (This question is not synonymous with the question posed in the regular Crew board regarding why people are not attending games. READ: They are different questions.)

I have always wondered about this question, from the time the section was a decent size section to the years when we were lucky to break 30 and now, when as a supporter, you have the opportunity to be apart of a large supporter section(s). It is a beautiful sight to see.

I am reminded, yet again, about this question, which seems so..... odd to me. I pose this question to fans who go to matches; yet. they sit somewhere else. Moreover, I pose this question especially to those fans who sit in other sections after standing in the Supporters Sections. Also, please do not cite that one article writer’s note directed at the Sections. That article should be destroyed.

So... Is it really the personalities that have emerged? Because personalities have always been apart of Crew supporters, probably in all supporter sections.

Age? Family requirements? Dislike for certain supporter groups? Not enjoyable?

My own two cents – Yesterday, I was reminded, yet again, just why I love standing and chanting for my club.

2. BG13

BG13 Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    My answer is incredibly boring and pragmatic.

When I go alone, I buy my tix through Union and sit in the corner with my friends. However, I mostly go with my neighbor these days and we have tickets in a designated section other than in the corner. So that is where we sit.

That is it.

3. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah. And that is due to the "relatively recent) enforcement of required ticket entry to section? I see. So, then I would ask more informed people than me of the policies behind the said enforcement.

4. HSH_b

HSH_b New Member

Feb 28, 2008
    Cbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

First the policy was brought into affect and created purely by Front Office personal. It started in 2009, at that point they were checking tickets, the SG's fought for wrist bands for SG members and STH's of the Nordecke as a easier way to represent "I have a ticket in the section" yet not requiring the double fisting beer carrying patrons from searching for the ticket when coming back into the section.

That was the policy in 2010 as well, but it's since changed in 2011. Tickets are now the only means of access to the Nordecke.

The front office has partially put it on controlling numbers in the sections for safe means of egress in case of an emergency, but it's mostly centered around the success of the Nordecke. As it grew in the past few years- it sold out on a number of occasions (many more times then the stadium has sold out since 08). The Nordecke became a destination fan experience, so the Front Office started raising prices.

Once the Nordecke's prices went up and the tickets were no longer the cheapest in the stadium they wanted to make sure people who were paying for Nordecke tickets were getting in the Nordecke, and people who were buying the south end cheap-o tickets didn't get in the Nordecke.

I've been in a handful of meetings fighting for the Nordecke to be open again, but I choose my battles and I ultimately understand why they do what they do with this one, even if it pisses me off every few games when security won't let someone I know had a Nordecke ticket in because they can't find the ticket.

5. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The battle for bench seats to be eliminated? ;):p

6. HSH_b

HSH_b New Member

Feb 28, 2008
    Cbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

meh.. chose/choose. Oops.

Yes, that has been talked about- same with that great idea to have a professional grade smoke machine rather then the little farts we've had fixed numerous times but tend to break after a few games.

The issue with removing seats is when the stadium is used for Concerts and non crew events. . . I think they could do it from 139 to 141 but past that they would need to keep seats for concert seating.

7. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I use to sit in the Nordecke but no longer do. I became tired of overly drunk people who were more interested in a party than the game. Seeing people sneak flasks into the game and continue to drink heavily and basically forget the game is going on. I am first and foremost a supporter of the players on the pitch. If you start turning things into a party then you forgot why you attend the games.

Ps I am a 24 year old (almost) so it's not that I don't understand the lure of drinking.

8. General Disarray

General Disarray Legendary

Jul 7, 2005
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    when the Nordecke first formed, we had our own smaller group in 134 that would stand, chant, and ring cowbells right along with the Nordecke. Since then most of them went over to the Nordecke and the few that I do go to games with choose to stand at a table above 134, which is fine. We have sat over in the Nordecke a couple of times and it's just not our thing. We do love to watch what you guys come up with game after game, with the chants and tifo, and I love the energy you all bring to the games. I do support everything that goes on over there, I've bought membership into the Union just to get the t-shirt or scarf, and help spread the word on the issues with the HSH bar.

I guess in short, my answer is I love what you do over there it's just not for me if that makes any sense :D

9. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

First, thank you for the informative post. (seriously)

Second - ah, the good old days of buying cheap south end tickets and then standing in the supporter section.

I have had my own reservations about that in the past, so I understand. I was even a culprit of that a few times in 05.. but I think we all needed to forget about some of those games in 05... ;)

10. THOMA GOL

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've heard a couple of people grumble about that and how it killed the atmosphere for them. I too used to get a bit peeved at the socialization over soccer support in the Nordecke. Same with the peeps that take advantage of the SGs and get the cheap ticket while not pulling their weight in terms of participation in the culture. Both still occurs I reckon, but what's a guy to do? One thing is to show people how to support the team. People need to see that is IS okay to actually *gasp* focus and react to events on the field. They need to see that it's okay to sing songs and chants, no matter how mundane even that can be you know, recycling the same ones. They need to see that waving flags and two-sticks is how things are going to be as the team sees this and knows that we are creative for the cause of pushing them through to conquering their foes.

Another thing is to respectfully, sternly, but tactfully inform a drunk buffoon that they aren't that cool like they think they are. I had one drunk guy during the L.A. match attempt to get the flag I was waving. I would have let him, but one he wasn't in stellar condition to wave the large flag, and two, his ass wasn't focusing on the field (I know this because I noticed him being typical drunk guy earlier). I told him no and pointed to the field a few times, mentioning to watch the game.

The Nordecke is not a frat house!

11. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes.

I suppose I would suggest to the "I avoid drunk idiots" statements, I would say:

I commend you.

and

A lot of people are not drunk in the sections. Find them & I bet the section will be utterly rewarding. :)

EDIT: I re-read Thoma's post, and I have to say - Bravo, Thoma. You seem to share the same idea of how to help the supporters section. Some thing along the lines of "lead by example," and hopefully it will catch on. ... but I might be reading too much into your post.

12. Brook

Brook BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 13, 2001
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Being a Fraternity man, I dislike your generalization of the "frat house" comment, Thoma !
    Apology accepted !

13. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love the passion and fight that you guys bring. The corner was an essential element to our double in '08 and remains today a force in the stadium. I love looking over there and see a flowing corner of blackness.

However, at the end of the day, I like my seat location better though.

Next year, we are moving closer to the SG's but still with seats near midfield. If the SG's grow to the point where they're expanding, I would probably join in, but not at the expense of my view of the game that's going.

14. osubowler

osubowler Member

Apr 7, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Several games a year I sit outside the Nordecke just for a better view of the field and stadium. There are some things you can't always see in the Nordecke that you can from the upper deck (I love the view up there). Also good to see and hear what does and doesn't work in the Nordecke from outside it.

15. THOMA GOL

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My mommy was a sorority girl. :eek: *slaps wrist*

16. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the main reason that I (and the people that I usually hang out with in-game) gravitated away from it before I moved. I'll still stand there when I come back from time to time for a game.

17. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The sad thing is I love what most of the section does. I have held sings, 2-sticks, flags, and helped with chants. I (and the few who people I go with) couldn't keep doing it when it became so unbearable for us. I do help the SG by buying things from them.

18. ThreeC

ThreeC Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Cowbellumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is interesting to hear people complain about the drunkenness. I am normally in the front of 101 and I don't really see/hear this problem. Not saying there aren't a few drunk people from time to time, but I haven't seen anyone out of control or annoying or anything (well once or twice a year Drunk and Disorderly struggles with the stairs, but thats it).

I don't really know what happens beyond 101 (and usually the first 5 rows, although I sometimes go up top) but I have not seen this problem, but clearly many of you have so it is something we need to work on.

19. BG13

BG13 Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    And, despite the fact it may suck, is kinda the way it should be, right? The natural progression of things. I accept it, too. I am not a single to newly married, childless, man anymore. Attitudes and preferences change, as they should. We'll let the youngsters inherit the corner, as they folks who came before us did, and hope they do good with it.

20. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I respect you, but do not concur with your thoughts.

21. BG13

BG13 Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    Fair enough.

I don't know for sure, but you're also not very old at this point, either. A lot changes between the ages of 29 to 35. A LOT.

22. ThreeC

ThreeC Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Cowbellumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    neverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

23. Kryptonite

Kryptonite Fancy Title Here

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That makese sense. Buying the tickets through the SGs (as opposed to mooching) may not be the most affordable option, but it certainly does increase the sales numbers, making us all look better. And yeah, there certainly was that overcrowding issue that had to be curtailed.

Too bad the FO probably won't compromise on the issue. Say they experiment for one game next year by opening the Nordecke very late in the game. How many people would buy a cheap-o southend ticket just for a few late-game minutes of the Nordecke? This would also ensure that people who bought a ticket for those sections would have a place there.

It stinks that they've done away with the "come on over for a few minutes to decide if it's for you" option, but I guess that's a sign of the times.

24. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    #1 I, like SmithSoccer said, am first and foremost a fan of the team and my primary focus is watching the game. My season tix in 106 just South of the half-line cannot be beat for full view of the field. Almost perfectly midfield (the wife and I used to have the stripe split between our season seats 13|14, but we moved down a bit to be nearer a large group of friends) and high enough to see end-to-end and side-to-side, yet low enough to feel on-top of the action and have players hear me when I yell...*cough* offer constructive criticisms.

#2 Drunken Frat-boy types. Sorry, Brook 98% of them aren't like you...or are they?!

#3 The wife's eyesight is not as keen as mine, so see point #1.

#4 The wife dislikes druken frat parties much more than I, and I like sex*; see point #2. Get over it, Brook.

#5 All of my friends (not my Crew Fan aquaintences) are in 106 with me.

And like General Disarray, I join HSH or Crew Union every year to support what you do, I chant and sing along from 106 and try my best to get others into it-- like squeezing blood from turnips, I tell you --and, when married life and child-rearing allow, get out to the Supporter's Bars. Love you all, love what you do, occasionally sneak in for a visit**, but I am a Supporter who sits in 106.

* a lot!

** You don't need a ticket to get into Nordecke. You just have to be smarter than the goons. Come down from the uppder deck between sections 101 & 102, then cross 101 somewhere around row 10-15. Voila you're in Nordecke and no one asked to see your ticket. Sure you have to annoy a whole row of people in 101, but at least I said 'excuse me' the whole way. To stop this they'd have to surround Nordecke like some Eastern Block Hoolie section.

25. KHT_Crew

KHT_Crew Member+

Mar 29, 2003
    Queen City, OH
    [​IMG]