Why do we need our postcode?

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by L.G.S, Jul 28, 2007.

1. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The old "Strawman Argument". We should have seen that coming.:( Hold on I'll be back I need to find my "Race Card."

2. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He already told you why. You just refuse to or are unable to understand his answer.

I'd be willing to bet that Huss uses some other way to keep track of the number of users he has from Hong Kong, Macau, Ireland, Zimbabwe and Panama that does not involve using a postal code.

Are you seriously trying to say putting my zip code (20912) in my profile is the same as posting other personal info?

Maybe you're not a paranoid asshole. Maybe you're the Unibomber.

3. Midorit

Midorit Member

Dec 20, 2004
    Tokyo
    One more post by Oscar,then I'll nominate the thread.

4. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even without another post by Oscar, I'm ready to nominate him.

5. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Nominate it.

You said his answer was that he wanted to know where his users come from, which is the same as asking for a postal code, it doesn't answer WHY he wants to know where his users come from/postal code.

So he doesn't need a postal code to know where his users come from after all. Which is it?

6. L.G.S

L.G.S New Member

Aug 31, 2006
    England
    There's no need to get pissy about it now. Some people just don't like putting in information where it is not clearly needed, yet they are still forced to anyway.

7. Skizz

Skizz Guest

Have you thought that when he said:

That's exactly what he meant? In the UK postcodes divide counties, cities and towns etc into seperate, more accurate regions. Postcodes will therefore give you a better idea of the regions where the user comes from, as opposed to the city/county/country.

Obviously this doesn't deal with the side of the argument related to countries that do not have a postal code system.

8. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    But for what purpose?

The IP already gives them your nation. On the old board this lead to the ads from your country being shown more/only instead of ads that focused on let's say the US. Like practically every other site on the internet with ads. Why would one also need to know which region you come from?

A Dutch postal code gives more than a region, it pretty much gives you your adress. Not that this would be a big secret either, but I would like to know WHY this info is suddenly mandatory to fill in, for me to give it. Other than "Golly gee, I just wanted to know". ;)

Simple question in my opinion. If the people in charge don't want to give an answer that's more than ok. It's not like I have to write in my true postal code, I just wondered why as the topic starter did.

Didn't think it would get some other people riled up though, who are also just guessing what the reason is judging by their replies.

9. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So he can pass on the location of all the terrorists that appear on BS. :rolleyes:

Would you rather he used your IP address without asking you, or asking you enter your postal code?

Some of us are not as paronoid about giving out our postal code.

10. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Use a proxy and give a fake postcode just stop moaning.

11. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I love how this was written:

Yet still people come here to "moan" about somebody who was asking a question on the customer service forum. Paranoid much indeed. :D

12. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reading the customer service threads helps you learn a lot about how things work around Big Soccer it's also a good way to get on top of potential problems before they occur and affect you personally. Initially I was curious in regards to the postcode issue now that Huss has answered the question it seems you have a few options. I would suggest exercising those options and get back to glory hunting. :)

13. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Saying you want know where somebody comes from, is pretty much the same thing as asking for the postal code. It doesn't answer why he wants to know this.

And once again, I'll bold it this time:

I'll leave the gloryhunting to the Americans thank you very much. ;)

14. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll give Huss my SS # if the Toon win some silverware this year.:D

15. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    They have multiple cups besides the championship over there don't they, so they have a chance.....

....aww, who am I kidding.

16. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Oscar - you were given an answer, you just don't seem to like the answer you got. You're welcome to continue to spin your wheels about it, but don't be surprised when the Customer Service acquarium keeps circling the chum you provide.

17. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I like to argue as much as the next guy, buy saying you want to know where the posters come from is the same thing as asking their postal code (i.e. "which region they come from")

Again:

I mean, don't answer. It's ok.

Should I write "I don't care what the answer is anymore" so I don't have to reply to people who are still going on how I shouldn't dare to ask why? :)

18. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Let's test it:

I don't care what the answer is anymore.

19. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Like I said, you didn't like the answer you were given. Your inability to walk away from this thread isn't the fault of others.

20. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I guess it doesn't work ;)

21. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great thread :D

22. Midorit

Midorit Member

Dec 20, 2004
    Tokyo
    Did I miss the party?I should've come earlier...

23. Sakatei

Sakatei Member

Jun 24, 2007
    To hell with BS. Why does Circuit City need my life history when I pay for a computer mouse?

24. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point. When places ask me for my zip code, I'm going to start giving them BigSoccer.com.

25. L.G.S

L.G.S New Member

Aug 31, 2006
    England
    Because Circuit City have a good reason unlike BS.