Why do CONCACAF countries vote for Gold Cup in USA?

Discussion in 'Gold Cup' started by pc4th, Jan 21, 2009.

1. scmcbride21

scmcbride21 New Member

May 9, 2006
    United States
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I have it 2 slots North America, 3 slots Central America, and 2 slots Caribbean. Whichever zone gets to host gets the extra slot and since Canada is the host in my example they have the 3rd North American slot.

2. Otaku

Otaku Member+

Dec 9, 2003
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Agreed, I like Chapka's idea. I would keep the Gold Cup at 12 teams atleast though, not reduce it to 8 like some have suggested. That gives us a nice balanced schedule.

Soooo... you guys are sending the memo to Concacaf right?

3. Ags09

Ags09 Member

Club America
    Mexico
    Jun 16, 2006
    Philly
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Unless some serious investing would go in..i don't think they have the facilities to do so....

Honduras has 2 good stadiums
    ES has only one

Caribbean?? nice paradise no football stadiums that are up to par

everyone can agree that fields and stadiums in the Caribbean are in poor shape

at this point i would like to see in CR

nice excuse to go huh haha:p

soo...

Canada
    US
    Mexico
    CR

are probably the only who are able to host a GC realistically

next GC in 2012...in CR! ha

4. scmcbride21

scmcbride21 New Member

May 9, 2006
    United States
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both El Salvador and Honduras have two solid stadiums each. That's why I reduced it to 8 teams in my proposal to give those countries a chance to host. By co hosting it. Also do you think these African Nations have ample stadiums for the AFCON, but when these countries get selected to host the AFCON it forces them to improve facilities and build some which ultimately would improve the game in the region. And just like in Africa they always have a plan B for hosting we can have that here because we know we have countries that can fill in on hosting duties in emergency. See 1986 World Cup......Mexico and also see 2003 Women's World Cup......USA.

5. Ags09

Ags09 Member

Club America
    Mexico
    Jun 16, 2006
    Philly
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    i know i would just hate to conform.....if countries want to host such events they should be able to accomodate the teams as well as tourists and such..

i agree i mean i think CA deserves i just dont think they are ready to host it and if we want to make a GC actually have some decent level of play we need to be able to provide them (teams) with all that they need.

BUT

before any of this I would like CONCACAF get some serious refs its unbelievable that the best are mexican...and that isnt saying shit! cause Marco is the only one decent enough in this area

thats the main point they need to work in..

6. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    True.

On the flipside, if CONCACAF insists on keeping the mickey mouse aspects of the Gold Cup (secret group "drawings", shitty prices, horrible referees, crappy scheduling, etc), most countries won't be standing in line to host it.

Which is exactly what's going on right now.

7. Ags09

Ags09 Member

Club America
    Mexico
    Jun 16, 2006
    Philly
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    yeah...concacaf needs a reall re-structuring

im all for teams to grow and be able to have the opportunity to be able to host such event..

for the Caribbean it would be cool for those who dont have leagues to just make a Caribbean league for them to be able to compete and concacaf to run

that def would help these refs get some experience

or send those refs to MLS, CA, or even in division de Ascenso in Mexico

concacaf has a real bad problem with looking to make that paper..

fmf has the same damn problem and they have no vision

competition will always help everyone!

8. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I'm just posting this now so I can refrence this in a few years. Anybody watching the USMNT vs Honduras match would of noticed that for the majority of the game the stadium was empty. However, it is starting to fill up with El Tri fans.

9. Ags09

Ags09 Member

Club America
    Mexico
    Jun 16, 2006
    Philly
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    yeah honduras really playing baddd

US isnt playing all that well either thoo

10. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    do you want a cookie?
    [​IMG]

11. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I'm just posting facts. It's not my problem if those facts offend you.:)

12. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    lol. good one. :p:D

And you just neg-repped me: what a girl.

13. MRschizoid21

MRschizoid21 Member

Nov 5, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And yet...
    2003 Gold Cup had 12 teams playing in only 3 cities, using only 3 stadiums:
    Foxborough, MA
    Miami, FL
    Mexico City, DF

So why would you need to cut the tournament to 8 teams for only 4 stadiums? I maintain that 3 or 4 stadiums would be all that's necessary for the smaller countries to co-host, especially since there will be no crossing of multiple time zones or 2100+ mile air travel. If USA wants to put on 10+ stadiums, let them do that, but it would not make any sense to force anyone else to, when a USA bid has gotten away with less.

14. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I don't like trolls.

15. ColombieUSA

ColombieUSA New Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I think Canada is the only other viable option in 2011. Vancouver, Edmonton & Montreal would be perfect venues for the group stages while Ottawa and Hamilton could host the Quarters. Toronto would be the perfect host for the Semis and the Final.

16. scmcbride21

scmcbride21 New Member

May 9, 2006
    United States
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To spread it to different cities. Thus the reason to reduce it and give it to smaller nations. They learned since 2003.

17. MRschizoid21

MRschizoid21 Member

Nov 5, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope, that's not what they learned in 2003. They learned to exploit as fully as possible the various diaspora in an attempt to grab as much money as possible.
    You brought up the African Cup, but it refutes your points and shows mine.
    That tournament is a 16 team tournament. Other than USA, Canada, and Mexico, our region isn't really that much richer than Africa. With your demand of 6 stadiums in 6 cities, pretty much guarantees only those 3 and maybe Costa Rica would be able to host.
    And yet the Africans run a tournament, like us, every two years, and with more teams. And unlike our tournament, teams actually want to win every edition of it and not just the ones that give a berth to the silly Confederations Cup (fixture congestion?). Can you imagine that? A tournament every 2 years that is taken seriously?

2012 Gabon/Equatorial Guinea - 4 stadiums in 4 cities
    2010 tournament scheduled for Angola - 4 stadiums in 4 cities
    2008 Ghana - 4 in 4
    2006 Egypt - 6 in 5
    2004 Tunisia - 6 in 6
    2002 Mali - 6 in 5
    2000 Ghana/Nigeria - 4 in 4

Look at that! After Ghana/Nigeria cohosted and used 2 stadiums each, they went up to 6, and now back down to 4 for 2 straight tournaments. Illustrating what I've said: One has to be flexible. They've decided to give
    more nations a chance to host, which is what is leading to Angola this time and Gabon/Equatorial Guinea in 2012. Though they are using only 4 stadiums, CAF has given them standards to achieve in their renovation work and is holding the prospect of a backup host over them. But so far, it looks like Angola will be ready next year, and there's no reason to believe 2012 won't be ready. It's their time to shine, and why wold they embarass themselves?
    And they're using fewer stadiums in the 2008-2012 editions than they did in the 2002-2006 edition. If Concacaf was committed (to something other than money and nothing else), they could and would find a way to make it happen.

18. Soccerfever

Soccerfever Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Laval(Canada)
    What?You have hosted the Gold Cup every 2 years,christ knows how many times now!It was spreaded enough before the 2009 edition.There was also no need to have 12 stadiums(one of them being a ballpark! :eek:)host this fading tournament.Whoever's idea it was,it was a bad one!The last World Cup in Germany had 12 stadiums,but it was a World Cup,the scale was much bigger.

If you reduce the amount of teams,the tournament will not be taken seriously.

19. Ags09

Ags09 Member

Club America
    Mexico
    Jun 16, 2006
    Philly
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Jack Warner FUERA!!

this dude is a scumbag

why is that he is still around

are people afraid of this bit.ch?

20. Soccerfever

Soccerfever Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Laval(Canada)
    Quite shocking really!

Is term as CONCACAF prsidents ends in 2011 apparently....

Can't wait for this guy to go!

21. MRschizoid21

MRschizoid21 Member

Nov 5, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haha, I completely forgot about that. We went from 7 venues in 2005, 6 in 2007 to 13 this year. I just started thinking and thought - the only explanation for that that I can think of is that maybe Mr. Warner is trying hard to make USA's World Cup bids look as good as possible.

22. Soccerfever

Soccerfever Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Laval(Canada)
    Yeah it makes sense but still it's not like we don't know that the US has good infrastructures.It was way over the top...

23. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ha! Good luck with that. He was the only one nominated last time. He'll probably get reelected. Heck, he was just re-elected a few months ago to the FIFA Executive Committee, his term there doesn't expire until 2013.

He's been with FIFA for over 25 years and president of this confederation for nearly 20. Unfortunately, he's not going anywhere. If they were willing to get rid of him they would have done it years ago. Let's just hope when we finally do get a new president he's not worse.

1 person likes this.
  24. Soccerfever

Soccerfever Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Laval(Canada)
    But to anybody's knowledge,has any country's FA complained about this thing taking place strictly in the United States for most part?Sure we are here pointing fingers but the FAs of the countries from the region should have by now raised the issue about this event only being staged in the biggest backyard.If most FAs complain to CONCACAF,there could be a change,but the fact they keep their mouths shut almost means that they are happy with this thing being handled the way it is.Countries like Costa Rica,Honduras and Guatemala should have came forward,because,they are decent teams in the region and if this thing was played in one of those three countries,I'm pretty damn sure that the United States and Mexico would leave that country empty handed.So in other words,other than Mexico and the US,contries from the region should stand up and do something against the injustice that has been going on for way too long!

25. MexiGOL

MexiGOL New Member

Dec 8, 2009
    Club:
    Club América
    I thought about this myself many times and can only come up with the idea that the FA's of all the other countries are getting paid off to keep their mouths shut with proceeds from the GC. Everybody is getting a piece of the action so every one is keeping quiet. Mexico also hasn't complained because Mexico participates in the Copa America, which is more competative than the GC.