Why Did They Ruin MLS Live?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by The Frisco Kid, Mar 24, 2017.

1. The Frisco Kid

Jan 22, 2014
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    So far, here is what I am enjoying about MLS Live:

1) No longer get hilites on TV version (only condensed)
    2) Takes forever to load interface on Roku, then takes forever (one thousand, two thousand) for each selection to display and load
    3) No longer can go to specific goal-scoring segments on laptop/tablet version
    4) Image was supposed to be better than last year's version -- it is not
    5) The right click, left click button on screen hilites with a red outline that is so thin you can't even see the damn thing -- so you end up scrolling right past what you are trying to select.

Anyone know why they took a perfectly functioning, real-time, user-friendly package and destroyed it?

2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like new owners. In the last TV contract ESPN got the streaming rights to MLS. For the last couple of years they've been happy not to use them and let the league continue to run MLS Live. Apparently this offseason ESPN took control and created their version of MLS Live.

Kejsare and Unak78 repped this.
  3. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I've noticed a lot of hiccups as well. Web version doesn't like to switch between matches at all, can't get the vid-on-vid option to work at all, and most of the time the only solution is to re-load the browser and try again. Huge shout out to ESPN for being the worldwide leader in sports.

onefineesq and Unak78 repped this.
  4. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    The biggest gripe, to me, is the inability to find particular goals, cards, etc without skipping incrementally through the entire match. It's annoying to have to do this. Some of the technical issues have improved from week one, but it's all too different to enjoy in the same manner as the previous version.

vividox, EvanJ and Kejsare repped this.
  5. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. NBC's Premier League Live Extra allows you to go to goals and cards. If fans are used to be able to do something while watching Premier League games for free online, and MLS doesn't let subscribers do those things, people could dump MLS Live.

6. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    #6 Honore de Ballsac, Apr 18, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    Wow - thank you for this thread! MLS Live SUCKS now.

Such a disappointment because it WAS so awesome - the perfect recruiting tool for all the various soccer folks around me - Champions League type US fans plus anybody uninitiated with the sport on a spectator level, esp youth players and their parents.

I primarily use MLS Live through Apple TV, and it was so fun, easy and content rich it dominated my entertainment consumption. My little kids loved tooling around it, watching and re-watching highlights and features. What a bummer to come into this season with expansion teams, new stadiums and hype-worthy new players - and find MLS Live gutted and dysfunctional.

Now I can't recommend it, let alone buy it for people as I was planning to do.

7. Dan Kohner

Dan Kohner Member

DC United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2017
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I tried to watch the Atlanta/Montreal game on my iPad last week and it told me no video available for that match. I contacted MLS, but have not heard back. I was able however to watch the match on my iPhone. Does anyone know what is up with the iPad?

8. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I'm having trouble with the "hide score" feature. I can't watch everything I'm interested in live and it's pointless to watch if they ruin the score. This was a common issue in weeks 1-2 and eventually they fixed it. But as of last week the problem is back for me. In addition to that I can't access the support forum anymore to see if other users are having similar issues and to share tips on how to avoid glitches.

So far I'm giving the service an F. There was a Houston game 3 weeks ago that wouldn't play at all. Another LA game that had malfunctioning audio the entire game. Also if I jump around a file too much the stream almost always crashes and the only way to recover is to reload it from beginning. I did not have any issues like this in last year's MLS Live. And I don't have any issues with other soccer streaming services I use like NBCSN, Fox Soccer 2 Go and ESPN 3. Even BeIn Connect is better than this.

9. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    Same. Urgh. It was literally the best MLS sales tool.

10. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    It has been a very noticeable downgrade in quality this season. The new guy doesn't hold a candle to the old guy . I miss being able to load and navigate. I'm not an unreasonable person I think that it should load and that I should be able to navigate once it has loaded.

mschofield and Honore de Ballsac repped this.
  11. Sieg

Sieg New Member

Atlanta United FC
    United States
    Apr 23, 2017
    For those of you with MLS Live, there's an extension for chrome callled luminous that bypasses blackouts.

Luminous - Chrome Web Store

12. Ben7

Ben7 Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Since the back end stuff moved to ESPN or whatever they did this off season it went from fantastic to terrible, and that's no exaggeration.
    • Hide scores doesn't function properly
    • regardless of the setting it always sowing the result in the video description anyway.
    • if you select a game, you now only get the full or condensed, but no longer a highlights option.
    • UI is a mess, content is a lot less organized and harder to find and navigate (all of the above which makes the lack of easy access to highlights even worse)
    • (VPNs don't work anymore from what I can tell on web, iphone and apple tv)

13. Sieg

Sieg New Member

Atlanta United FC
    United States
    Apr 23, 2017
    VPNs may not work, but if you read my reply above, the chrome extension does.

Daniel from Montréal repped this.
  14. Dan Kohner

Dan Kohner Member

DC United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2017
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Has anyone contacted MLS about these issues and have you received a response? Curious to know because I'm thinking that I'm just ditching MLS Live next season for Direct Kick. I would do it now, because I would prefer to watch the matches on a 55" TV as opposed to my iPad, but I paid for the full season of MLS Live.

15. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the match hits 5:00 and you've used up 6 minutes of highlights, you're doing it wrong.

16. Dan Kohner

Dan Kohner Member

DC United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2017
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I know this is not about Live, but has anyone been having issues with the MLS app? What I mean is under the scores and schedules section, if there is a game on Wednesday and it is Thursday or Friday, you have to scroll up to see the score from Wednesday. My thing is this and I might just be picky, but you should not have to scroll up to see the score from previously in the week. If I had not just happen to notice there was a match on Wednesday, I would not have seen the score because this. Just start the section at the top of the week!

17. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    A small gripe, but in case they're reading: why blur the image when pausing? Harder to analyse the videos!

Dan Kohner and Honore de Ballsac repped this.
  18. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd call that an ill-conceived feature (bringing you to the current/next game) instead of an issue but yeah, its happening to me too.

Dan Kohner repped this.
  19. Dan Kohner

Dan Kohner Member

DC United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2017
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I watched the DC United/Philadelphia Union on MLS Live and for some reason what was being shown was 10+ minutes behind the actual game play. I was receiving alerts for goals scored 10 minutes before it was shown on MLS Live. WTF is up with this!

20. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS Live has been working like a charm for me all season. Really surprised people are upset with it. What really confuses me is that people are saying there's no highlights anymore. Mine still shows the highlights like all the previous years.

21. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    What system are you using? To me on roku it is as if they trashed everything good and started over and fell short of the bar raised by last years team.

22. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    iPhone and chromecast.

23. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    {thump thump thump} Is this thing on?

24. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    Really I can't see any games today. No mention of blackouts, no ability to even click through from the game listings.

Can't believe how much this thing sucks now.

25. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    Oo! They just put up NYC v Sounders. Just a few hours after it finished. But the live matches - nothing.

What was this thing called? What was it I paid for? Thought it was to watch MLS, live.