Why did Surfer Dude lose favor??

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by eric515, Aug 29, 2002.

1. eric515

eric515 Member

May 8, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know the whole story, but in this article:

http://soccertimes.com/usteams/2002/aug27.htm

It says that Frankie started 5 of 6 CL matches for BL, twice earning Man of the Match honors, then barely a sniff of the pitch after that. Is that just because the talent level at BL increased dramatically, or other factors? It seems to be a common story with YA's...see Lewis at Fulham and Kirovski at Crystal Palace, what's the dilly-o?? Sorry...I mean, the deal??

2. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    Because the starting right back is named Placente who starts for Argentina National Team. Hedjuk used to play in right wing as a three man attack team with De Roberto at left, Kirsten at center and Emerson do play making. Right now, Bayer Leverkusen has Shinader (sp?) on the right side.

3. calcioplaya

calcioplaya New Member

Jul 20, 2002
    i believe that would be Ze Roberto, and i think frankieboy should at least have been sitting on the bench. but i guess toppy thought otherwise

4. calcioplaya

calcioplaya New Member

Jul 20, 2002
    oh and im kinda new to this how do u post a new thread not just replying?

5. WHOLMAN2

WHOLMAN2 New Member

Dec 4, 2000
    Lahs Angeleez
    A reference to another Rivalries Anti-American thread...

LOL! Thanks for the laugh!

6. olafgb

olafgb New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Germany
    Well, I don't where the journalist found the old game stats, but Frankie unfortunately never was a big player in Leverkusen. In the first year he delivered some fresh fighting spirit which was quite helpful for the team. You've got to realise that Frankie has lacking technical and tactical abilities, and the more Bayer got closer to European top level, the more evident were Frankie's problems.

Toppmöller is the final reason why Frankie completely was without playing time. Toppmöller's style is very offensive and he needs technically strong defenders for that - Frankie does not exactly fit into this category and so he soon became no 3 on his position. That and no conspiracy theories is the simple reason.

7. Preston North End

Feb 17, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Placente played at leftback - not rightback - for Leverkusen last season and he has been on the left so far this season (he also starts on the left for Argentina). Zivkovic was the usual rightback last year. Lucio and Nowotny were in the center.

Placente was not Hejduk's competition, unless Placente was the 2nd or 3rd choice rightback.

Hejduk's competition for time anywhere on the right was Zivkovic, Sebescen, and Schneider. Placente wasn't in the picture.

As olafgb said, Hejduk just fell out of favor after Daum left. It happens. Hejduk was brought in by Daum to play on the right as a wingback. IIRC, I think he did also play "up top" on the right in 4-3-3 (essentially a 4-5-1, thus Hejduk was a right winger) formation back in 1998-99, as Shaster said.

8. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Frankie is a great athlete, a great guy, and a great fighter. He just doesn't have the top technical and tactical skills to play at the highest level.

In other words, what olafgb said.

9. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Early on, wasn't the official line that FH put BL over their non-EU allottment? (can you top three abbrevs in one sentence) I always thought Emerson, Placente and Ze Roberto were his competition for getting on the bench.
    And after a while, the team was doing so well it was obvious he was little more than an extra...

10. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Ya, Schnieder is top notch. I've heard him described as a white Brazilian German. :) The point is to get away from thinking that German's don't have flair. That boys got plenty of it. Too bad FH thinks he has to stoop to playing in Switzerland.

11. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Stoop in Switzerland or keep bending over in the bund? Sounds like a good move to me.