Why Celtic's nickname is "The Bhoys"

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by marcin79, Aug 13, 2005.

1. marcin79

marcin79 New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Warszawa, Poland
    Why Celtic's nickname is "The Bhoys"? I heard a lot about Celtic, but I never read about origin of this name. Thank you in advance.

2. nach0king

nach0king Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Dallas Proper
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Because they can't spell Boys.

3. marcin79

marcin79 New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Warszawa, Poland
  4. TimBhoy

TimBhoy New Member

Jul 26, 2003
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Don't think that's anyone has the definitive answer, I heard that it originated from the pronunciation that the Irish in Glasgow used for Boys, and it stuck.

I put the question into a search engine and found the following,

Why are Celtic called the Bhoys? asked an inquisitive Dan Reid.

We weren't sure, but a Celtic spokesman told us (see KU July 5) that the first tangible bit of evidence is a postcard from the turn of the century which refers to the Celtic team of the time as "the bould bhoys". Therefore, he said, the word "bhoys" is almost certainly a misspelling the word "boys".

But hats off to PJ Killian, who points out the word is much older than that. "Bhoys (or sometimes B'hoys, not to mention their counterparts, the lovely G'hurls) was a common American slang term for Irish immigrants at least as far back as the late 1840s," he says.
    "From the use of the term in contemporary newspapers, it appears to have been a mildly derogatory term with connotations of shiftlessness and drunkenness. While there's not necessarily a connection to Celtic there, the parallels are striking, and even if the term didn't reach Scotland until later, your postcard writer is at least 50 years too late to be the first."

5. jimthetim8

jimthetim8 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 19, 2005
    bhoys as in the"tim aloys" as simple as that. jim ayr scotland hope it helped!

6. jimthetim8

Jul 19, 2005
    dear nachoking , i c ayr utd a bunch o x juniors beat you lot in midweek!!! they have 14 x juniors and had played 3 games together,u must have some side lol. can you spell rotten,sorry morton.

7. nach0king

nach0king Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Dallas Proper
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    See what I mean about the spelling?

I hear you got pumped 5-0 off a bunch of ex-coal miners and steelworkers in some far-flung ex-Communist enclave. Hmm, Champions League or CIS Cup, I wonder which one I'd be more bothered about :D

Also, why would you even care? You've long since abandoned your local team to visit the carnival of hatred at Parkhead.

8. TimBhoy

TimBhoy New Member

Jul 26, 2003
    Glasgow, Scotland

Calm doon, he has tactical nukes (Artmedia) to our Pop guns (Some honest men)...ask for a ceasefire :D

9. nach0king

nach0king Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Dallas Proper
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Just out of interest, Mr. Chomsky, how does that explain the "h" in the word Bhoys?

10. TimBhoy

TimBhoy New Member

Jul 26, 2003
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I assume phonetics....say Timalloys quickly

11. nach0king

nach0king Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Dallas Proper
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    He could have said something about throwing away promotion two seasons in a row. THAT'S hitting a Morton fan where it hurts :p

12. nach0king

nach0king Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Dallas Proper
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Still not getting it. Maybe it's my accent.

13. jimthetim8

Jul 19, 2005
    dear nachoking, i could go 1 mile to c ayr,or 35 miles to c the tic, they play football. no doubt you have never seen this. and me a protestant catholic, i followed celtic because they played football the way it should {the celtic way} on the ground ,fast,attacking,i remember you had a class player a mr ritchie.and the hatred at c p is only when we play the bigots from ibrox who wear england tops,nf flags and abuse coloured players.remember 80-90 thousand went to seville for a party!!!! no bigotry in sight , hail hail old bhoy,

14. marcin79

marcin79 New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Warszawa, Poland
    thanks a lot
    bhest regards

15. nach0king

nach0king Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Dallas Proper
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Andy Ritchie was a class above anyone in the current Celtic squad. In fact, he'd walk into any of today's SPL sides and the Scotland team to boot.

16. LesO'lafatselik

LesO'lafatselik New Member

Jul 6, 2005
    Cloud Cuckoo Land
    Not to mention a few pie shops. :p

17. roachboy

roachboy New Member

Aug 1, 2003
    Baile atha cliath
    The most likely explaination is actually that in the Irish Language, the letter B is often followed by an h to produce a compound sound, which is like a V. The irish for library is leabhearlann, but is pronounced Leverlan.

People just adopted the 'BHoys' to make it seem more irish, I think (although the spellings are similar for scots Gaelic).

Edit: not that I mean it should be pronounced 'Voys'!! It is just a gaelic corruption.

18. jimthetim8

Jul 19, 2005
    nakamura might have something to say about that! but he could have been mortons john hartson some weight there to throw about,lol :D :rolleyes: at least you play in hoops though the wrong colour!!!!!!!!! :D

19. nach0king

nach0king Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Dallas Proper
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    You've seen Nakamura play, what, twice?

Similar to David Marshall in Barcelona, Nakamura will show himself to be not as good as you'd hope.

20. TimBhoy

TimBhoy New Member

Jul 26, 2003
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Don't know about that, pretty impressed with him, he looks like he will do well in the SPL, still you never know, looking forward to watching him prove it one way or another.

And I still have hopes for Marshall.

21. jimthetim8

Jul 19, 2005
    well at least you watched us against barca! i actually began to think you were a hun!!!!sorry i wouldnt slag anyone who follows there home team.but nakamura has plenty ability,low centre of gravity,he hadnt played from the brazil game {6 weeks ago} guess who was man of the match?? yes nakamura believe me he is good!! give him 3/4 weeks to he gets his fitness/sharpness.hits a wicked free-kick!! :D :D

22. uber_coupon

uber_coupon New Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Copland Rear, Ibrox
    That jimthetim8 fella craics me up!

BTW What the fcuk is a Protestant Catholic? :confused:

23. jimthetim8

Jul 19, 2005
    people who protested against the catholic faith, ie henry the 8th ,who wasnt allowed a divorce because he couldnt father a son,so you will be a protestant catholic! not proddy there is no d in it! so my gers friend go see your local minister and ask him. or better still go get a degree like me in history!! stirling do a good course on religious history , you lot "craic" me up.the star of david is around the red hand on the flag ,the union jack is the flag of jakob its origin is israel,you didnt know this did you? my father was also in the orange order,and me a proddy! sorry protestant catholic ,ask your local minister!!!!! lol that was a quick history lesson!!!!!

24. jimthetim8

Jul 19, 2005
    dear uber coupon the word protestant was used over 400years ago, it is a person who agrees with the bible,and owes god everything in regard to eternal life,we dont all support rangers /linfield ,and are not all unionists none of us are orangemen but are members of a true protestant church,protestism is a movement within christianity representing a split from the roman catholic church,during mid to late renaissance in europe ie 1529,protestant began as a name for separation from the catholic faith ,ie churches zwinglian,quakers, luther,calvin known as the radical reformation ,ie protestant catholics!!want to have a degree on religious history, go to stirling uni for 5 years. ps and i craic u up must be because i have a high i q. silly billy!!!!!!! :eek: :D

25. CW1980

CW1980 New Member

May 4, 2004
    Belfast
    When I was at Stirling Uni, they at least taught me how to use correct punctuation! :D