Why can't the Breakers get players like this?

Discussion in 'Boston Breakers' started by socfandan, Jun 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. chamoG

chamoG New Member

Jun 30, 2010
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    The Breakers ALREADY have a player not just like this but BETTER.. MUCH BETTER. This better player is considerd by many this year's draft's true diamond in the rough. She is, soccer-wise, a true footballer, the best I've seen in the country (including the players in the USA WNT) but unfortunately she has been kept under the radar all these years. In addition to being a complete player, she plays like a female version of the great Zizou + Fabiano combined. Different from the player you are referring to, whom I think was let go by the Breakers (be careful what you ask for), she is mature and plays with humility and total loyalty for the game, her team, her coaches and her teammates. Unfortunately she tore her ACL during the first week of pre-season last March and had to miss this entire season. But... my undrstanding is that the Breakers kept their rights to her and that she is being brought back for next season.

4. pasoccerdad

pasoccerdad Member

Mar 17, 2008
    KOP
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am thinking it is the Coach, not the player.... the talent is there...I have yet to watch them this year but he is not getting the most out of his players... such as Kelly Smith (who I think is the best player on the planet).

BTW - We are loving Amy in Philly, after last year, we thought we were getting a player with limited killer instincts....

5. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who would you be refering to out of curiosity?

6. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    haha!

I think JNO had a couple of drinks and started a BS account!

:D

7. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But she's not out for the season. Should be ready to go end of july.

8. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll believe it when I see her....

She's our Twellman!:p

9. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude she is so much better looking than he is. haha

10. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure you know the Boston roster better than I do and are just taunting the newbie to try and pull out more humorous posts ("female version of the great Zizou + Fabiano combined" is funny stuff no matter the player being described). My guess would be Cynthia Morote-Ariza since she did tear her ACL early on and is still listed on the weekly roster reports.

11. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I gotta get a tone meter. I wasnt trying to taunt the poster, more trying to learn. I didn't know if they meant Nobis or not.

12. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It isn't your tone meter. It is mine. To highly adjusted for my own snark potential. Sorry.

13. chamoG

chamoG New Member

Jun 30, 2010
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Yup, that's the girl (to answer Mattymags811's question).. similar reactions were posted online following draft day (not by me)... and, as funny as I sound--and I agree it is funny stuff--she is the real deal beyond what we have seen in women's soccer so far... perhaps a "new generation" player.

"Pasoccerdad", what I've seen so far last season and this season, I do not believe the problem is the coach. Dicicco's coaching combines the necessary team structure and organization with a rare respect for the players' freedom to express their soccer personality... this requires soccer intelligence, mental speed to anticipate plays and sequences and to solve them... personal leadership and individuality has to surface at the service of the collective effort.
    As good as Kelly Smith is (and she is one of the best in the world, I agree) as the player wearing the number "10" on her jersey, she is not favoring her role as the organizing playmaking offensive player. She needs to put the team's offense on her soulders... feed Lauren, link the meidfield with Lauren who is the top target/striker. Kelly wants to play more as a finisher than as the orgainzer the team needs her to be... then the offensive drought will cease.

14. AMBreakers

AMBreakers Member

Boston Breakers, Boston Univ. Women's Soccer, Norwich City, Charleston Battery
    Jun 21, 2010
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s about time somebody recognized that while the coach is ultimately responsible for the team, chemistry issues are not necessarily directly caused by him. With this team, the main issue is that there are several talented strikers yet no one star…..so finding leadership in the final third has been difficult, leading a midfielder to want to take over. I couldn’t agree more with chamoG.

Another problem has been maintaining a constant energy and passion throughout the ninety minutes. It’s hard to deny that this team has had moments of brilliance and moments of horror.

I’m also wondering….. If the coach really is so poor, then how come almost all of the Breakers’ goals this season have been scored either inside the first 20 minutes or right after halftime? Seems more like he’s making positive changes from game to game and in the locker room that aren’t being sustained by an aging and frustrated team.

Yet another thing to note is how much more fluent and organized the Breakers have looked away from home. Notice they won the first game, when there was no pressure whatsoever. If you don’t believe the expectations of Boston and negative chants get to them, think again. We need to bring back the pride and fun atmosphere at the Coliseum, and that can always start with the fans no matter the record.

15. Eleanor

Eleanor New Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Really? At this point of the season? Surely the players, like those on other teams around the league, have gotten fitter and able to sustain that energy for 90 minutes. If not, there's yet another problem plaguing the team.

Philly has found success by getting the fittest, fastest, hungriest, hardest working 11 on the field and getting them in the game. Chicago has done the same thing. The new coach's comments about Ella Masar's game against Boston were pretty interesting.

I agree that it is hard to sustain passion game after game after game after game after game when what you're doing isn't working and you keep losing.

16. chamoG

chamoG New Member

Jun 30, 2010
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Really! This is why professional soccer players (or any athlete) are called PROFESSIONAL players (athletes)... in the non-soccer world, we all have to produce EVERYDAY at our work place, passion or not, fitness or not, hunger or not... every Monday morning we have to produce PASSION from nothing, and SUSTAIN it through the boredom and the monotony, otherwise ask those professional workers who have to work 12 - 16 hrs shifts 7 days a week at a factory or warehouse or loading and unloading trucks... you get the idea. Where do these people's supervisor or foreman or employer get them to be the hungriest, the hardest working workers in their labor pitch so that they can earn their paycheck? Eleanor, the employee or worker or player HAS TO PRODUCE IT... has to earn his/her paycheck... that is being a professional, and that is why she (or he) is being paid for... or else ask the WC's players from France, Italy, England, and pretty Barbie-boy Cristiano Ronaldo. Like Gene Hackman's character in "The Replacements" well said it.. a pro player needs HEART, LOTS OF IT.

Just like it is everyone's responsibility to bring HEART to his/her days everyday all day long, and it is every worker/professional's responsibility to bring HEART and PASSION to his/her work place everyday (not his/her supervisor's or foreman's).. so it is with PROFESSIONAL players... passion and heart comes from within, not from without... in recognition that they have been Blessed to be able to go through life making a living as a soccer player or coach... or whatever the sport is.

Lastly, soccer.. true football, is not about being the fastest, nor the fittest,.. it is about being a TRUE FOOTBALLER, WITH PASSION AND WITH HEART... and these are originated by the player within. All a coach (or a supervisor or a foreman or an employer) can do is try to elicit it from the individual player... but the player has to WANT TO produce it, to retrieve it, to bring it out, to externalize it, to give it and to enjoy it. It is after all a PLAYER'S PERSONAL EXPERIENCE.

17. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I don't understand, I have been working for a dozen year or more and heart is not really required. Just intelligence. Same with football players what they need is intelligence, fitness and good mental preparation :confused:

18. Eleanor

Eleanor New Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Definitely add heart (which=passion) and intelligence to the list. But otherwise, ChamoG, I think you completely missed my point.

I would expect that the players who are put on the field every game have all of the ingredients we're talking about. If they don't, they shouldn't be there. If they do, and they are still underperforming then looking at the players isn't the solution.

19. AMBreakers

AMBreakers Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmm, no real responses (except from Eleanor) to posts #14 or 15....... I'm curious to hear the opinions of the Tony haters in response to those posts

I guess it's no fun anymore when you can't walk all over the "kool aid drinking newbies".......

Sure, Tony is ultimately responsible but in a more detailed discussion forum we should be looking beyond that. We're both shouting "Fire Tony!" and "Don't fire Tony!" without any true detailed evidence from either side so far.....so let's discuss further.

20. AMBreakers

AMBreakers Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they HAD all those ingredients at the start of the season, and have lost them since due to a variety of factors, including the fact that the league overall has gotten better, bad luck (before the last game), the weight of expectations, and the fact that the chemistry of the team simply hasn't been there because there haven't been any real stars/leaders out there.

When the coach has made numerous adjustments and done everything he can to try to reverse these trends, then looking at the players and their chemistry as well as what we as fans can do to improve that IS the solution.

21. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are off your rocker if you think our chants have been negative. Just last game, as we limped to another 2-1 defeat, we sang our "We are Boston" chant. It wasn't being sarcastic or negative or mocking the action on the field. It was genuine, but you wouldn't know that because you are intent on blackballing Riptide simply because we don't want Tony Dicicco in the Breakers pillars of excellence. Better performances on the road? That can't be assumed to be a reaction to the "negative chants". It's far more likely that not playing on Field Turf is a more likely reason for their play. I still have fun and still have pride in the stands. Supporting the team does not mean kissing up to the coach in times where he doesn't deserve it.
    Kelly Smith, for my money, has not been motivated this year. Whether or not that's Tony's fault, I really have no idea. Could simply be age. Who knows. The problem is, Tony should recognize this and give her a wake-up call benching. Yeah I know, it failed with A-Rod, but she was much younger and less experienced. Kelly would get the message I am sure of that.

Honestly, if you truly have an issue with Riptide, bring it up to us immediately after what you perceive to be a negative chant. My money is that you don't come down to the Dock. Yet, I would love if YOU personally joined us in the Dock. More people can help us return the pride to the stadium. (This is not snark, I'd really like you to join us. We'll teach you the chants and you can teach us ones you come up with. Its happened before.)

22. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    As an altenative I suggest sending Kelly and Alex home to England as us Arsenal supporters would be happy to see them back:D

23. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well there is that, but I'm no where near ready to suggest that. Vic Akers would enjoy that way too much.

24. Layman

Layman Member

Mar 7, 2002
    A coach has the biggest influence on how a team as a whole has played. You all know that a coach tells the players what to do in set pieces. It should be the same with continuous play. Creating opportunities for team mates to score, how to make full use of space and speed in counter-attacks, etc. are the previews of a coach. Blaming a player like Kelly Smith is way out of line. I also think she is wasted playing midfield. With her scoring and dribbling skill, she should be in front receiving good passes from team-mates to get goals. Asking her to score and to feed the forwards, running up and back all the time is not a sensible coach would do.
    If it is so easy putting talented players together and expect them to turn themselves without outside help and direction into a great team, there is no need for any coaches. And for that matter, there should be no famous coaches around the world. Just famous players.
    Sometimes a coach is blessed by inheriting a group of good players who have already been trained on how to combine with each other to become an effective team in attack and defence. Such a coach does not even have to be a good coach. All is needed from him is to be a reasonable caretaker which is the case of one of our WNT coaches in years past. From the way he made use of ARod last year, it is apparent he does not know how to direct play.
    Obviously some talented players know how to direct play in a match. Venturini, Marta come readily in mind. But sometimes a coach will want to have his own way of playing and frustrate. I think that's what's happening in Boston.

25. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps no one truly felt they the posts were worthy of response? Some kool-aide drinking newbies simply becoming boring and repetitive and are not worth the time to respond. But I'll take the bait....

The team, including and especially the "stars", have underperformed. This is not in dispute.

Did Lil, Smith, Cheney et al suddenly forget this is a team sport and become selfish ball hogs?

Does legendarycoachtonydicicco not have significant if not total input into the team's roster and most certainly who takes the field each game?

Who is responsible for managing team chemistry if not the coach? Do you think Doc Rivers and Phil Jackson and Steve Nicol and Terry Francona and Bill whatshisname from that other local football team are successful professional coaches by letting the players dictate this? Is any youth coach ever successful by not managing team chemistry? It is the single most important factor in coaching ANY team.

lctd picked his roster last year, dumped those he deemed unworthy, replaced them dumped them and replaced them and the team is still totally disfunctional and disheartened on the field. There is no plan, no style of play in the final 3rd. There is no flank play except that provided by Scott and Cox on 90 yard runs. Smith, Lilly, and anyone else who plays midfield win more balls from each other than the opposition because lctd appears to favor a 4 attacking center mid formation. The only outside mids who actually keep their shape have been traded or cut, most notably Stacy Bishop who was released at half-time of a game in which she started. A keeper with 9 clean sheets last season after replacing the out of shape has been he selected to build the team around (lctd made his mark as a GK coach ya know....) gets dropped to developmental on opening day... what did he miss last season? Or in preseason? How about ARod... leading the league in goals for another coach after scoring 1 last year as the #1 pick and preseason ROY favorite? How about leaving Moore on the field game after game last year as an overmatched and underwhelming D-mid until she was a borderline joke? Then resurrecting her as a centerback then benching her when playing her best soccer she ever did in Boston?

This and more demonstrates a coach unable to manage his team, who makes erratic, emotional and ill-advised decisions and most clerly who has no plan never mind being able to communicate to his team.