WHY CANPL WONT WORK OR SURVIVE

Discussion in 'Canada' started by TorontoFC_SouthendElite, Jun 30, 2017.

1. TorontoFC_SouthendElite

Toronto FC
    Canada
    May 28, 2017
    southern Ontario
    CanPL is it still in the works? No one seems to know anymore. you cant have a league done in secret and expect fans to show any interest... but the reson it wont work is not only for this reason but may others.
    1) mls is the major league for football in this country followed by usl then nasl, Can PL will be 4th tier.
    2) football with gridirion lines wont work, and most footie supporters know this...hamilton for example
    wont remove the lines time and again for Can PL games then go back to cfl crap lines,,
    3) competition with mls ie TFC is playing say MTL and Hamilton same day and time is playing a GTA
    team where do you think fans will go too? like come on..
    4) TV...TSN has MLS, cdn champs rights as well as world cup, euros, gold cup...so i doubt they would show
    interest in Can PL..so whats left Sportsnet? lol anything on that crap station will have to play second fiddle
    Toronto's losing basball team.. CBC? possible but not the money income a new league needs.., so Can PL
    will struggle finding interested Tv Partners...
    5) players- there is not enough quality cdn players to fill a league like can pl, so where do they find them usa?
    if thats the case why not just have teams in usl/nasl and avoid having a so called canadian league with
    majority of non canadian players..anyways? europe? why would players leave europe for a league with no
    history and not much chance of survival?

Can PL is a longshot at best to survive just one season.....i fancy winning the 649 a better option

2. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    As Montagliani said it himself:

"Anyone opposed to a Canadian league cannot be fans of Canadian Soccer"

For you to post this thread here means that CPL hit a nerve. If CPL was as insignificant as you claim, you and your thread wouldn't be here.

Happy Canada day

Unak78 repped this.
  3. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm an American and am pulling big time for the CPL. It doesn't need to be MLS or outdo it. It doesn't need to be the Bundesliga or outdo it. It just needs to work in the best way for Canada.

Hoping for a team in Metro Vancouver, where I have family (Americans who settled there 10 years ago), and in Calgary, the only city I've been to. I quite loved it, but I know their history of soccer is a bit unstable.

Unak78, Robert Borden and Polygong repped this.
  4. Initial B

Initial B Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    Well, here's my take tot he questions:

1) I see the MLS/CPL perception similar to the NFL/CFL. With the proposed salary cap levels the CPL is talking about, they will be higher than the NASL or USL just by poaching the best players in CONCACAF by paying them more than anywhere else but MLS and Liga MX. It made the Fury owners blanch when they saw the expected salary numbers.

2) Gridiron lines - That's where the supporters have to make their voices heard. The Fury owners make sure to remove the CFL lines whenever possible between matches. There are removable paints now that makes this not so much of an issue anymore. The only time we see pointyball lines is if there is a soccer game within 48 hours before a CFL match.

3) I'm sure the CPL execs are not stupid and will probably avoid scheduling if there's a 401 Derby match at that time (probably have away games on those days). They could also choose different days. Mississauga at Hamilton will probably get more spectators than you might think.

4) Almost a year ago CBC trademarked "Soccer Night in Canada". They also have a mandate to produce Canadian Content and the cutbacks suffered under Harper have been rolled back by the new liberal regime to the tune of $113 million dollars over the next 5 years. The CPL is under the CSA which is under Sport Canada which is under the Heritage Ministry (which also provides some funding to the CBC). I could see some policy wonk creating a report why it would be in Canada's cultural interests to subsidize the CPL though CBC TV Contract payments.

5) The goal is to eventually have Canadian players fill up these slots, but there aren't enough in the system yet. There are a number of players that have washed out of the MLS level or that play inside the other CONCACAF (or even CONEMBOL) Div 1 leagues that would like better pay. The global market for players is such that you get what you pay for usually. Short answer: You have to start somewhere.

Unak78 repped this.