Why Austin's move is not going to work and why the crew will end up in San Antonio

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Oct 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know why they would consider Vancouver either. They're the best supported local team in terms of attendances, though probably not in actual support.
    Vancouver attendances.
    MLS - 21,416 (101%) (capacity increased for 2 games)
    CFL - 19,858.0 (72.21%)
    NHL- 17,703 (93.6%)

2. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Small market, facility not as good a situation as most of the other small markets, fluctuating exchange rates, dealing with two federations, eliminating the USL team, low current value, and I'm not sure multi-owner groups are preferable to a single well-heeled individual.

But they aren't particularly likely to be moved without a sale, and Greg Kerfoot has money to spare and a love for Canadian soccer. It's more likely he consolidates and buys out his partners, but with someone as withdrawn as he is (some say reclusive), it's harder to know exactly what to expect.

Honestly, if one looks at the various lower valued teams, there isn't one that stands out as a potential victim. I've spent some time on this the last couple days, and I'm still with Colorado first and Vancouver second, but they are less at risk than they seem at a glance. What is likely is that some big market teams owned by non-billionaires or unmotivated owners will be bought without being relocated; Philadelphia, Houston, and Chicago have too much potential where they are.

3. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah vancouver for me is a real reach, I think there is a clear tier at the bottom 3 with colorado, dallas, and New England. Not to sidebar the topic at hand i really hope this Austin move gets scuttled because I cannot see it working in Austin for many reasons.

4. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. whereiend

whereiend Member

Dec 26, 2014
  6. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe I'm looking at Vancouver from a different perspective:
    • Bigger metro area than Charlotte, Portland, San Antonio, Orlando, Sac, Cincy, KC, Salt Lake, Austin;
    • 7th best attendance in MLS, despite artificial cap;
    • Rapidly growing TV ratings, consistent with TFC and Montreal;
    • Close to downtown
    • Accessible by public transit;
    • Brand recognition going back 45 years;
    • Fierce regional rivalries - Cascadia and Canada.

7. Initial B

Initial B Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    I went to a Vancouver game in 2013. Walked from my friend's place across the bridge to get to it in about 30 minutes. Nice, bright, airy, noisy and full. They were playing Philly and lost, but the crowd was always in it. I don't see them leaving anytime soon.

8. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be clear, I don't see Vancouver as very likely to move, either. Just slightly more so than most. There's really not any other team with a situation even remotely comparable to Columbus. (Which itself could be largely resolved by selling to a well-heeled local who has better connections to the business community and municipalities of central Ohio.)

Other teams highly likely to be sold in the next few years are in big markets, which a new owner would be motivated to stay in; could you see a strong business reason for a buyer to abandon Chicago, Houston, or Philadelphia for somewhere half that large (at best)? Or for the league to sign off on a sale likely to result in such a move?

9. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    just pure conjecture if counsel allowed public vote (which there are indicators) Id put it 2 no to every 1 yes, and thats a conservative estimate.

12. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #37 OWN(yewu)ED, Feb 23, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    Meanwhile MLS NOT impressed with the goings on in the Columbus-Austin saga:
    http://www.statesman.com/news/local...ourt-dropped-the-ball/tIyRUz6GQLSsQqU2nVPnrO/

http://www.mystatesman.com/sports/s...hrinking-stadium-list/TDZK2L5KcMrVE9etInh3RL/

Precourt's Austin efforts appear to be hanging by a thread, with the only realistic option remaining at McKalla Place at what is quite literally environmental cesspool chemical dump 12 miles north of the city center near the Domain (which to be fair is a very nice area but is the equivalent of Sacramento building in Roseville or Elk Grove) with little city infrastructure of which to speak and very poor vehicle access. If Precourt thinks Austin is gonna be paying for the overwhelming amount of infrastructure that will need to be built in hes got another thing coming

Even in the remote chance it passes any environmental impact tests, locals that far north STILL dont want it.

http://www.mystatesman.com/sports/s...ible-mls-stadium-site/0CNAWFzLEM9bRvNtfPJJlK/

13. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People this rich should not be allowed to be this dumb. Asking for PUBLIC MONEY. theeeeeres your freaking dagger in Austin; oh and a USL team just got approval to play. It was dead on arrival because Precourt bungled that up worse than the maloofs and the sacramento kings.

I suspect we will see San Antonio enter stage right through the mist in the near future.

Jay34 repped this.
  14. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    San Antonio already has an expansion bid, a wealthy ownership group, a stadium and city backing.

16. Redpawn

Redpawn New Member

Jun 24, 2015
    McAllen, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States