Why are wingers so expensive?

Discussion in 'Hattrick' started by Onionsack, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously, its obsence how much these guys are going for these days.

2. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    with secondaries or just plain wingers?

3. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    you mean combo wingers with PM? I've trained a couple of those, hi cost and hi return.

4. BrianJames

BrianJames Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Chicago
    I trained wingers for a few seasons and didn't seem to do very well. Quit that and overhauled training to passing. Hope I didn't do it at the wrong time, cause training wingers is pretty easy.

5. Craig P

Craig P BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For PM-heavy wingers, they provide a salary-free upgrade to midfield (and I think you'd have to work hard to overestimate the value of this), plus tactical flexibility. And there's very few of them, to the point that I doubt you'd get a TC on guys with WC+ PM.

6. Craig P

Craig P BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keep in mind that everything has gone through the roof in the current market, but if you were training uberwingers, then yeah, you might have gotten out of the market a little early (though I'd expect passing training to treat you pretty well too).

I don't agree that it's easy to train wingers, though. You need a big initial outlay to do uberwingers right, if you can find trainees at all (I'm having a bitch of a time finding a replacement for the one I just sold).

7. BrianJames

BrianJames Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Chicago
    I was just doing basic mono-skilled wingers, so in that sense they were easy to fill. Wingbacks were a little tricky w/ even less payoff. Overall, wingers were great tactically. Just buy some awesome IM's/forwards/cd and you can play them twice a week.

8. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm in the market for a winger right now and the prices are high, and there aren't any American wingers of high quality on the list.

9. Sinter

Sinter New Member

Oct 12, 2003
    New York City, U.S.A
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Multi-skilled players in general have prices soaring through the roof. Definitely a great time to sell before people decide to stop paying ridiculous prices for these players thanks to the new attendance formulas.