Why a Wednesday night??!!!!

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by gallis1, Jan 25, 2008.

1. gallis1

gallis1 Member

Sep 23, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    Who's the brain-child that scheduled this game for a freakin WEDNESDAY NIGHT!????? Does the soccer federation not understand that soccer is not a local game, and FANS TRAVEL!?

I am so pissed I cannot make this game because I have to work! All who will attend, I envy you and have a blast!

Hopefully future games will be played on weekends for traveling fans to enjoy.

This really baffles me. What else is Reliant stadium used for other than football? Why was this game sheduled for a weeknight? can anyone help me figure this out?

:mad:

2. el chingon

el chingon Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    The Mexican League started already so that's a big reason why. Plus most fifa dates are during the week.

3. DynaKat

DynaKat New Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reliant Stadium's used for the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo, concerts, and other entertainment events. Not just for the football team.

4. gosh1976

gosh1976 Member

May 29, 2005
    atlanta
    aren't the European leagues playing the weekend before and the weekend after? The Fifa date is on the 6th that's why it was scheduled for that date.

5. Nerazzuri

Nerazzuri New Member

Jan 23, 2006
    St Louis
    February 6th is a Fifa-approved date for internationals, so if you have a problem, it's with fifa, not with USSF.

Also, as previously mentioned, the Mexican League has already started, which means that if this game was played on a weekend, they would probably have to send their D team, if even that.

International friendlies on the weekends are the exception, not the rule. They generally only work when you have two countries whose leagues are out of season (like the Sweden friendly, or any other nordic country). Even in those cases, that only allows you to have players who ply their trade in leagues that keep similar calendars.

Finally, last year we played Mexico on a Wednesday night in February in Arizona, and 62,426 people showed up for it. So clearly, even on a Wednesday, enough people are able to find time to make it to the game.

6. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *burps*

WHY NOT?!?!

[​IMG]

7. gallis1

gallis1 Member

Sep 23, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    Dudes, I didn't say folks were not going to show up for the game cause its on a Wednesday. My whole point is there are folks who would like to attend the game but can't when its in the middle of the week. I still feel a big game on a Wed night sux goat-balls. Thanks for your replies folks.

8. BaltimoreYankFan

BaltimoreYankFan New Member

Nov 11, 2001
    Towson, MD
    I hear what you're saying Gallis - I'd love to be able to attend one of these matches on a Saturday evening, but the travel during mid-week kills me. Unfortunately, this is up to FIFA.

I believe the last couple of friendlies with Mexico have come mid-week...

9. Nerazzuri

Nerazzuri New Member

Jan 23, 2006
    St Louis
    I think you missed the point of my post.

The reason I gave the attendance of last year's match, is because technically, that's a sell out. So, no matter when you play the game, not everyone is going to be able to go.

There are always going to be folks who would like to go, but can't for one reason or another. I would have liked to go to the USA-SWE game, but I can't afford to fly out to LA for the weekend. Similar with this game in Houston.

There are always reasons that people who want to go to a specific game can't make it. Usually, it will have to do with the location of a game, cost of travel, etc, or the fact that the game sold out.

But, the fact is, over 60,000 people managed to make it to Phoenix on a Wednesday last year, and thus far, about 45,000 have committed to go to Houston on a Wednesday this year. So, your argument that "people" can't travel to this game seems to be baseless. Your argument seems to exist of nothing more than the fact that "you" can't get to this. That sucks. But then, there are always fans who can't go.

If you really think it's a crime that you can't make it to this game, perhaps you should contact FIFA and have them set all international friendly dates to weekends.