Who's Who Awards

Discussion in 'Education and Academia' started by Metros Striker10, Oct 19, 2004.

1. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    Are the Who's Who Awards really as important as they say they are? They seem like an important thing, but they also consider themselves to be the best award in the nation...

2. quicksand

quicksand Member

May 7, 2000
    Brooklyn
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've always wondered this as well. My feeling is that they aren't at all important. I've flipped through some of the books and it didn't seem that big of a deal.

3. Danks81

Danks81 Member

May 18, 2003
    Philadelphia
    They're not that special. Their standards are not high enough to warrant any excitement for being selected. Elite students that deserve being described as the "Who's Who" have more than enough credentials to back up their talent and hard work.

4. Unorthodox Yank

Feb 27, 2001
    Constant Flux
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's put it this way.

I was a who's who with a 2.9 GPA, 1290 SAT and 28 ACT. My only meaningful school-ccentered extra cirricular was newspaper (i was features editor, then editor-in chief).

I was rejected from every single place i applied (in the US).

5. Metros Striker10

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    That's really what I have been assuming. They say that only 5% of American students are selected. Are they saying that 95% of American high schoolers have a GPA lower than at least 2.5?

6. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    Who's the "They" that is saying it's important? I don't remember anyone EVER saying such a thing. Purely a way for the publisher to make profit by stroking the egos of parents across America.

7. Metros Striker10

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    The Who's Who people.

8. Soju Gorae

Soju Gorae New Member

A buddy of mine got listed in the "who's who" thing during high school...

Now, he's just an average college schmoe with a cocaine habit. No joke.

9. elainemichelle

elainemichelle New Member

Jul 20, 2002
    A lot of my classmates were picked. They even picked me. It's just to make money. I don't even know how they got my name and address and grades since the school doesn't release that information.