Who's the WORST player you have ever seen?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by ForzaGrifo, May 24, 2003.

1. NEKSoccer

NEKSoccer Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Long Island, NY
    For the Cosmos, Alfredo Lamas - he was always losing the ball. He was a teammate of Pele's in 1975.

I heard of a goalkeeper named Gordon Bennett - an Englishman who was so bad that people took to using his name in disgust the way that some people use the Lord's name in vain.

I read in a magazine once that Gus Caesar was considered the worst player (if not one of the worst) to ever play for Arsenal. He later played for Airdrieonians in Scotland.

Other bad players? Several of the early MetroStars players. Edmundo Rodriguez was one guy who heard it from the fans. Also, Ruben Dario Hernandez was too little - he could never get around defenders! How he scored tons of goals in Colombia is beyond me.

There are others, but those are the ones that come most immediately to mind.

2. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    There we go. Third time's the charm.

I think Jovan Kirovski ranks up there because of his promise as a youngster coming up in the ManU system, and his failure to live up to it. He's not a bad player by any means, just someone whose career arc took a dramatic dip. There was a time when some looked at him the way we do Freddy or Landon now.

Also, when I lived in Miami, we played pick up ball every Sunday at the park. This Brazilian kid, Diogo was pretty good. Good dribbler, great size, speed when he needed it. But if you were on his team and he got the ball, you might as well get back on defense because you weren't going to see the ball again. Either he would dribble into traffic or shoot wildly. Every once in a blue moon, his shot would be on target. Like the Black Hole, sucks the ball in and spits it out into a parellel universe.

3. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Ronnie MacFarlaine couldn’t kick a ball worth a damn, well he could but nobody, least of all Ronnie knew where it would go.
    He’d hit it more with his shins or knees than with his boot.

He wasn’t the worst player in the world, he was just my centerback when I played in the Business Houses League in Liverpool.

(Most companies in Liverpool and England have a company team. We got paid overtime on practice nights and match days)

But Ronnie was magnificent with his head and his positioning was so good he always headed it, (even if he had to get on his knees.) He was a joy for me, playing in goal. He scored a couple as well.

4. Unorthodox Yank

Feb 27, 2001
    Constant Flux
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    waht would REALLY be an interesting thread is who people thinks are the worst players to have earned a cap to the US mens national team since 1990.

5. Jimjamesak

Jimjamesak New Member

May 3, 2003
    Anchorage Alaska
    My brother!!! He just toe-punts like mad!!!

6. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    Most everyone on the Wisconsin Rebels PDL team... they are atrocious. They are 0-3 with a -15 goal differential.

7. helmzgk

helmzgk New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    california
    Has Andrew Shue been mentioned?

8. Green Tabasco

Green Tabasco New Member

May 3, 2003
    No. But his sister is a hottie.

9. Profi

Profi New Member

Feb 15, 2003
    There's only one Angelo DiLivio

Angelo Dilivio

10. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Tommy Reasoner of the Kansas City Wiz was really awful and was not to be trusted with the ball in his own penalty area. Ty Keough really liked him, too.

11. robviii

robviii Member

Dec 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Chad McCarty

12. Profi

Profi New Member

Feb 15, 2003
    There's only one Nicola Berti

Sorry........DiLivio is not the worst.....he's 2nd worst

and the winner is.................

Nicola Berti

(someone please get out your old tapes and watch the 94 world cup final)

He was absolutely horrific.

13. BadReligion

BadReligion New Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    The Neville boys.

14. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    You're just basing it on their good looks...:)

15. BadReligion

BadReligion New Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    I know. They make David Beckham look like Louie Anderson.

16. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Re: There's only one Angelo DiLivio

I would have loved for somebody to have collected a copy of tape clips of DiLivio.
    He used to run right into a defender, kick up his feet and go down on his face.
    Stangely enough he got a good share of fouls and PK's out of it.
    But it always looked like the same play.

17. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Nicola Berti was a superb player when he was at Inter, when he came to Spurs he was abysmal.

As for Di Livio, a long and decorated career for Juve, Fiorentina and Italy must count in his favour.

18. Aguilas Del America

Oct 28, 2002
    Nido de Coapa
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    LMAO
    wasnt that the same guy who missed three penalty shots in one game?
    he is crap with Villareal right now BTW

19. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    i understand all this talk, but i always felt fans made gary out to be worse than he actually was - now phillip...

or is that the other way around? in any event they are no worse than coco, the creme de la crap (professional/international categories)

20. picaro

picaro New Member

Apr 10, 2003
    que te importa?
    Palermo is second worst behind Aloisi from Osasuna. only because as of lately Palermo, fearing being benched, has performed a little better.

21. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    five pages and not one mention of adi akinbiyi

22. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    Biggest waste of money on Newcastle in recent times is a draw between the always-injured Carl Cort and the seldom-seen Marcelino. Cort's top performance was his two goals in an exhibition against the Crew in Columbus. Marcelino, who the hell knows?

23. fcbayernfan181

fcbayernfan181 New Member

May 20, 2003
    Ade Akinbiyi of Stoke City. For every goal he gets he misses about three sitters.

24. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    There was a guy from the Tampa Bay Rowdies a few years back who couldn't mark his own shadow. He wore No. 22 when he played a game vs. the Cosmos. Chico Borja schooled his SS. And the rest of him. An American with longish hair; a Hedjuk clone, but with less skill.

25. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    So THAT'S the origin of that epithet! (light bulb)