Who's the favorite to win this group ?

Discussion in 'GROUP H: Poland, Colombia, Senegal, Japan' started by Flipmode2000, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Flipmode2000

Flipmode2000 Member

Feb 28, 2012
    USA -Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I feel that Poland and Colombia are pretty even and I think Colombia can take this group.. I also can't ignore Senegal who qualified undefeated to the World Cup.

2. world soccer magazines

Oct 31, 2016
    Colombia
    Senegal
    Poland
    Japan

3. +PL+

+PL+ Member+

Jun 22, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Japan will top this group. Second spot is a toss up between Poland, Senegal or Colombia.:D

4. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    I think Colombia is the obvious favourite here.

To me Senegal SHOULD progress alongside them, I think they will be too much for Poland to handle. As long as they play well as a team and do not self destruct.

Also if Japan does decide to find their form they will be a tough team to deal with, they have it in them to do well but have faltered of late.

TheHitman47 and jagum repped this.
  5. Smoga

Smoga Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Brooklyn, NYC
    LOL

Senegal will be lucky if they overtake Japan for third. They are completely unproven, having not played anyone outside of CAF in over the last 2 years. Once they play a disciplined team like Poland or Japan or a technically better team like Colombia they will fold like the plastic benches these guys ride in second rate Ligue 1 teams.

6. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    LOL in 2002 Senegal was also unknown and hadn't really played anybody outside of Africa yet they beat both France and Sweden, (both teams easily better than this Poland)

No offence but Poland is easily the most overrated team in this whole WorldCup. Just because they have a worldclass striker people think they are such a great team. Who will run the midfield and create all those chances for Lewandowski ? He's not going to have the supporting cast at Bayern. If both teams play to their potential, Senegal wins.

TheHitman47, zahzah and Saudi Sheikh repped this.
  7. elviejomen

elviejomen Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Hasbrouck Heights NJ
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    yeah this group is open for anyone
    I do have high hopes on this Colombian team because the squad now have actual world cup experience (even on the knockout phases) which is important. Also James is more mature and now this time Falcao is coming :sneaky:.
    With Zuniga and Armero both out of the picture we don't have such strong wing backs as last world cup; however there is an improvement from our CB from last time

Also I don't see a big favoritism on the Colombian NT which is really good, because that tend to go against us

8. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    1. Poland
    2. Colombia
    3. Senegal
    4. Japan

I think Poland will top this group, they have a decent team. Now stop with this Lewandowski thing. They have many good players. Zelinski, Blaszczykowski, Milik, Piszczek, Glik, Krychowiak, etc. All of those players are underrated. Have you seen their results lately?

They played Germany three times in the last 3 years, and won 1, drew 1, lost 1. You cannot underestimate a team like that. They also put up the best fight against the Euro 2016 champions. They are a team with so much passion and hunger. If this was in South America, I might tip Colombia to win it, but due to this being in Europe, I fancy Poland to win it and Colombia second.

Coeur and The Special One repped this.
  9. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Pretty much.
    People (in general) who don't follow Colombia don't know how important Falcao is to Colombia. He is the spiritual leader, the locker room leader and a guy on the field who just does not quit.
    It hurt him deeply that he could not play in Brazil.
    God willing he is healthy and has his chance to shine in Russia. He will be on a personal mission to carry this team to glory.

TheHitman47 and elviejomen repped this.
  10. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Colombia
    Poland
    Senegal
    Japan

All games in this group will be very entertaining, though. Fun group, fun group.

Coeur repped this.
  11. Saudi Sheikh

Saudi Sheikh Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Near The Kingdom
    Poland is the most over rated team and they don't play good against non uefa teams I predict they will finish last in this group. Senegal is super under rated I believe they will finish top with Colombia coming up second , Japan is not that good we beat them with ease but still i believe they will get the better of Poland like Korea did in 02.

12. +PL+

+PL+ Member+

Jun 22, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    :whistling::x3::x3:

13. Saudi Sheikh

Saudi Sheikh Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Near The Kingdom
    I take it you didn't see the return leg of our match we totally dominated them should have won by 5 goals.

14. +PL+

+PL+ Member+

Jun 22, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I saw the match. You guys worked your ass of and that goal was great. One thing you need to consider is that Japan was already qualified for WC and they didn't give you guys a hard time.

15. Chiyakkutan

Chiyakkutan Member

Jan 10, 2014
    Hawai'i
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Colombia
    Japan
    Poland
    Senegal

Kamtedrejt repped this.
  16. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How can this even be a group? The seeding was utterly pathetic.

17. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    If you look at players and player depth than obviously Senegal is better than Poland.

Senegal has elite players from back to front save for no elite centre forward and no top goalkeepers. Apart from that Senegal has better centerbacks, better fullbacks, better defensive midfielders, better wide forwards, better attacking midfielder (Sadio Mane). Not to mention Senegal are real bullies - massive,, strong players. Add to that they have loads of players on the up.

Poland have a world class player in Robert Lewandowski (but Senegal have Sadio Mane and a world class CB in Kalidou Koulibaly). There best players apart from that is an error prone Szczesny (and a wide bench of highly valued GKs, but only one can play), Krychowiak who has massively struggled since moving from La Liga, a pretty good Glik of Monaco and a superb Piotr Zielinski of Napoli. Senegal has a wider bench, better players in almost every position, etc. Not to mention Poland historically struggle against non-UEFA opposition.

However Senegal also are weak tactically and are not playing as a team. Thats why this group is such an unknown. Which Senegal will play?

Colombia - Senegal will be interesting. Colombia does seem less intimidating than in 2014 though...

Overall Senegal obviously has the best set of players, even objectively speaking when you look at Transfermarkt value (especially if you exclude GKs from the equasion). But they seem much like Cote d'Ivoire. That said Senegal has a set of players that is better than what Cote d'Ivoire ever had.

pogoss and TheHitman47 repped this.
  18. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I am honestly not sure between Colombia and Poland. I never underestimate a team like them.

19. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    After they had already qualified, Saudi Arabia is fighting with Panama for title of the worst team at this World Cup. You guys are terrible and won't registered a point and will be lucky to register a goal

Coeur repped this.
  20. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I'l say Colombia and Senegal

21. Coeur

Coeur Member

Jul 6, 2015
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    It is a group of my dreams. A team from every continent, and teams on pretty much the same level. I bet, that supporters from every country in group H are super happy they got a draw like that. Anyone can beat anyone here, and it will be decided by the disposition for the day. Also preparation and tactics will be super important. I just can't wait.

elviejomen, J-Mezzy and Chiyakkutan repped this.
  22. Coeur

Coeur Member

Jul 6, 2015
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    Couldn't agree more.

23. TheHitman47

TheHitman47 Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    What kind of BS is this? Majority of their team starts for their teams. Also their star players are some of the best in their position in the World. They are a disciplined team. Poland is gonna get their nose bloodied by all three teams.

You guys got pot 1 because you refused to play friendlies. That will hurt you in the group stage.

Arrogance doesn't do you well.

24. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Honestly this reminds me when Colombia had Japan, Ivory Coast, and Greece in the 2014 edition. Everyone had a different unique look on who would be runner up and it turned out to be Greece. This is open to any team in this group to qualify even when you view Colombia as the favorite to top the group.

zahzah repped this.
  25. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Not much between the teams in term of talent TBH. Even Japan has some quality there and we know they play excellently as a team. It'll boil down to nuances.

I would only say that heading into the tournament you could feel that Colombia was playing the most impressive football just by looking at the friendlies. Wonder if they will be indicative this time around?

Japan is the outsider, especially given their poor play of late, but Asia is due a rebound after 2 poor World Cups...