Who's the Boss? Gale Agbossoumonde at Djurgården

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Ed-D, Nov 6, 2009.

1. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Gale Agbossoumonde signs with Sporting Braga?

I only read Portuguese by going through French, Spanish, and Italian, but I believe it says he'll arrive at the club on 17 November when he turns 18. He'll play with the youth team initially but will be considered for the first team. Scouts liked what they saw at the U-20 World Cup.

3. Kyonn

Kyonn New Member

Dec 24, 2004

Isn't he one of those Traffic Sports guys? If so is this a loan?

4. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

yeah i think the story gets into that as well but can't be sure because my Portuguese language skills are even worse than my Spanish ones (which aren't good).

5. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This gets confusing in the last paragraph, where they mention that Traffic is paying his salary and related expenses and that Sporting will have an option to extend his time at the club.
    So in the end it seems like a loan, although the preceding paragraphs make it look like a more permanent thing. Of course, the language barrier makes it tough.

6. Kyonn

Kyonn New Member

Dec 24, 2004

I know nothing about this guy (didn't follow the U-20's this cycle). What you y'all think of him?

7. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

also anybody know what his status is as far as nationalities? Does he have a EU passport?

8. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Very big presence on the field, but did not show well in the tournement (hard to find a US player who did). He's been considered one of the best talents in that age-group for the USA.

9. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005

It could be a loan with a permanent deal later on. It will probably depend on how much Traffic want for him.

10. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999

I'm going to respectfully disagree on this one. I watched him once with Miami and of course also with the U20s, and thought that while he obviously looks 17, he did some things that make him look like a bit more than just a raw "big body." His passing was surprisingly good, for example.

We haven't produced a lot of defenders who can play at the national team level at 21 or 22, but I think Agbossoumonde is a longshot to pull that off if he spends the next few years in the right environment. In any case, he's one I'll enjoy following and will surely be a cornerstone of the next U20 team.

11. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Translated from the article in A Bola:

Coming Attraction, Agbossoumonde Gale

by Pascoal Sousa

He's a central defender and a U-20 international with the United States. On November 17th, when he turns 18, he'll arrive in Braga and go to the juniors, but the door will be open to the first team.

He was observed by Sporting Braga in the U-20 World Cup held last month in Egypt and the Bracarenses have already secured his employment, without any associated cost.

We are referring to Gale Agbossoumonde, a central defender who is only 17 years old, already a professional with Miami FC, a team in the United Soccer League (USL) owned by Traffic, a Brazilian business group with representation in the United States and Portugal.

Gale is one of the rising stars of American soccer, a center back who is a strong marker and makes his presence felt in the back line. It's not by accident that at 17 years old he was the youngest player on the United States team that participated in the U-20 World Cup, where Braga player and Venezuelan Angelo Peña participated, too.

Gale, who has been playing for quite some time now for his adopted country, was born in Togo. With the same ease with which he adapted to the sport, Gale won his spot with Miami FC, the club that he is contracted to until 2012.

Investment at zero cost
    Gale will travel to Portugal when he turns 18, on the 17th of this month. At this point will have autonomy of movement in Europe, without relying on his parents. Initially the defender will go to the juniors, but will have the door open to the first team for constant monitoring by head coach Domingos Paciência.

Traffic will pay Gale's full salary, as well as all expenses related to the transfer, with Sporting Braga having a preference clause in the event that they desire to keep him longer.

http://www.abola.pt/nnh/ver.aspx?id=181872

12. WJMarx

WJMarx BigSoccer Supporter

May 5, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Didn't you follow the last U-17 cycle either? Do your own homework!

13. Kyonn

Kyonn New Member

Dec 24, 2004

He wasn't on the last '07 U17 WC cup team and even if he was what's wrong with asking other posters what they think? If you don't want to respond then don't.

14. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana

What are his height/weight stats?

15. Kyonn

Kyonn New Member

Dec 24, 2004
  16. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ridiculously tall and pretty skinny.

6'2" and 185 lbs on the US Soccer website.

17. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  18. WJMarx

WJMarx BigSoccer Supporter

May 5, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He wasn't part of the WC selection but he was on the U-17 residency roster!

19. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

6'2" and 185, is skinny?

20. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So, really, how is this trip different than a trial? Based on the article, the club in question is not taking any financial risk (ie not paying any salary, unlike standard loan deals).

21. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005

Loan clubs aren't obligated to pay ANY of a players salary. A loan club can pay anywhere from 0-100% of the players salary. The two clubs work it out. A loan club not paying any of the a players salary isn't out of the ordinary by any means.

22. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He looked skinny during the WC, but that might have just been the feeds I was watching.

23. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Interesting as I thought it was more standard than not. Maybe except in cases where a Big.Club was sending out youth players to teams several levels below for a month or two to get experience or something. Didn't realize it was more common.

Regardless, it seems that the ball is in Gale's court to play well and impress.

24. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I got a chance to see Gale live in action in Miami while on vacation (much to the chagrin of the GF who's always perturbed by my football obsession). Back to my point. Gale didn't look raw; he looked the real deal against adults. It's sometimes hard to judge youth Nats because they are playing with/against their own ages. It was a mistake laden game for Gale but it was not because he didn't have the skill. It's because he didn't have the experience. He tackled well and passed well but positioning, communication, and recognition lacked. Those are the attributes you gain with experience. He was not out matched per se; he just looked like a rookie. But you could see the physical and technical tools were there. Going to a place like Braga, who BTW is top of Portuguese table, will provide an environment much better than Miami and Bradenton to develop. Gale conceivably could be 1st team material next year. I honestly think that though it would be spot minutes. If he hits the ground running with the youth team and trains with the 1st team; we are going to see a quick rise.

25. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I am 6'2" and 180 who and play center back in college and I don't think I am skinny by any stretch.