Who's the best coach/manager?

Discussion in 'BigSoccer Polls' started by Gerrit, Sep 26, 2005.

1. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    While I could use my student discount to buy a copy for £60 as opposed to £600 I think I will stick with the snippets that can be found in the media.

Enjoy.

2. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
  3. zakinator

zakinator New Member

Mar 14, 2008
    South Morang
    Sir Alex Ferguson...the best

4. bsas

bsas Member

May 27, 2004
    Switzerland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    For me it's Hiddink. The guy has made wonders at each and every team he has coached, and not necessarily with a big budget.

SAF is of course an extraordinary coach, but he has mainly coached Utd, tailoring it exactly the way he wanted over the years. Hiddink has been able to show fast results with teams as different as PSV, South Korea, Russia and now Chelsea...

5. Tony Dellbird

Tony Dellbird English and Proud

Mar 26, 2004
    Jolly Ol' England
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Don't jump the gun with Chelsea he's been there two games. It's beginners luck.

6. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well, that and the fact that every team usually manages a 'bounce' when they get a new manager because the players think they're starting with a clean slate and they all want to impress the new fella.

I think he's a good manager but whether he's got what it takes for the prem is yet to be determined.

7. bsas

bsas Member

May 27, 2004
    Switzerland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I didn't read too much in the recent Chelsea victories (though it's noticeable after so many defeats with previous coach), but fact is Hiddink has been extremely successful with the large variety of teams he has coached. I mean, a guy who can lead South Korea to WC semifinals (well, along with some referees, agreed;)) is right there on top.

8. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    PSV - one of the biggest teams in Holland
    South Korea - far more preparation prior to the event, home field advantage and corrupt officials
    Russia - underachieving team in general that did well in one Euro 2008 game
    Chelsea - one of the biggest teams in England, two games in

9. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    ... and they were one of the biggest teams in Holland before and after him, as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guus_Hiddink#PSV_Eindhoven

During his second spell with PSV, Hiddink won three Dutch league titles (2002-03, 2004-05, and 2005-06), the 2005 Dutch Cup, and the 2003 Dutch Super Cup. In Europe, the 2004-05 Champions League led to PSV's first ever appearance in the semi-final of the tournament since it adopted its current format in 1992–93 (PSV won the European Cup, the predecessor to the modern Champions League, in 1988, with Hiddink as coach). PSV narrowly lost the semi-final to AC Milan, on away goals. In the 2005-06 Champions League season, PSV made it through the group stage, but was eliminated in the first knockout round, having lost 5 of its starting 11 members (Park Ji-Sung to Manchester United, Lee Young-Pyo to Tottenham Hotspur, Mark van Bommel to Barcelona, Johann Vogel to AC Milan, and Wilfred Bouma to Aston Villa) to transfers. This period at PSV would make Hiddink the most successful Dutch coach in history,[17] with six Dutch League titles and four Dutch Cups, surpassing the record of Rinus Michels.

Corrupt officials? Why? Because they noticed Totti doing this?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViaVdnrPOZA"]YouTube - Francesco Totti's Diving in the World Cup 2002[/ame]

He was determined to go down well before the guy got anywhere near him. That was one of the most beautiful moments in world football history. Made all the sweeter by the hysterical reaction of the Italians who showed real class and composure... NOT :D

Yes, well, that would be what's meant by a good manager, wouldn't it... someone who can get an underachieving side playing to their potential or beyond.

Regardless of how well he does with us the guy's a good manager.

10. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    I think you need to revisit that World Cup. As for Hiddink I never once stated that he was not a good manager. All I did was dispute the ridiculous claim that he was the best.

11. HeartandSoul

HeartandSoul Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2007
    The Garden State
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Have there been other head coaches that have simultaneously managed a major European club and a national team?

12. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Apparently that World Cup was before you developed eyesight.

13. spoonman

spoonman Member

Sep 6, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yeah, Hiddink did it with PSV and Australia

14. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Uh huh!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport3/worldc...art/mexico_v_italy/newsid_2018000/2018794.stm

41 mins: Mexico have another golden opportunity as Gerardo Torrado dummies the Italian defence and then puts Jared Borgetti through with a great pass - but a fantastic block by Fabio Cannavaro prevents Borgetti scoring. Italy counter-attack through Francesco Totti, who goes down in the Mexican half and is booked for diving.

9 mins: Christian Panucci makes inroads into Mexico's box - he falls to the floor looking for a penalty but the referee books him for diving.

The ref for that one was from Brazil so not only dirty cheating Asians but dirty cheating central and south Americans as well :D

There were one or two bad decisions in that WC, (the one where the ball went over the dead ball line and yet they scored a goal was one), but Italy didn't suffer than any other team. What about the turks having a man sent off against Brazil for Rivaldo's dive.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40xpRK_d9u4"]YouTube - Idiot 3 - Rivaldo[/ame]

More to the point from my point of view what about this...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbbsytHDp2o"]YouTube - Maradona hand of god[/ame]

The only difference is the level of hysterical nonsense the rest of us had to put up with afterwards.

15. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Like I said earlier, this World Cup was apparently before you achieved sight. Watch the Italy Korea game again.