Who's next?

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by Sport Billy, Jan 15, 2019.

1. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    That assumes that the league profile remains the same. However, let's say 10 years from now, MLS team salaries are in the $100 million range, about the median of the EPL, the league profile will have risen as well. Or, even in the range of tge bottom EPL teams, who paid about $50 million last year. At that level, the league image will be far greater.

Granted that's a two to four fold increase over TFC'S wages from last year.

Even with pro/rel, what's the added benefit of a second tier league contract? Only 3 teams get promoted each year, and they will upgrade players to compete, so even if your team is promoted, there is no guarantee that a player on the team moves up, too.

2. TallGoalie

TallGoalie New Member

Nov 18, 2016
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
    I full heartedly disagree with this. Sure the top players will go to La Liga, Prem, etc. But what about the players that just can't quite make it and know they won't break into the Prem or Serie A, but can have a decent living in America's top league. That is quite the draw and shouldn't be underestimated, the ability to live in America as well as play soccer.

TarHeels17 repped this.
  3. wantmlsphilly

wantmlsphilly Member+

Aug 2, 2006
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You could argue the money comes from what the market wants and time creates that culture one is familiar with. Will people still watch is not a guarantee in America. Fourteen playoff teams might make possibly 20 to 22 fan bases have interest into the last week's of the season. If it was a single table, there is a chance 20 to 22 teams fan bases stopped watching the last month or two of the season and moved onto another sport. American culture might be more fans watch playoffs then regular season games could be argued. Look at college basketball and I would think that might be true. Needless to say talking about expansion teams in sports leagues is a unique American tradition.

4. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    CharlottetownFC repped this.
  5. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was bound to happen

6. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully they'll get rid of the gimmicks.

[​IMG]

Not you llamas, we all love Llamas.:inlove:

7. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    CharlottetownFC and USSoccerNova repped this.
  8. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh dang....... 29, 29, 30........break?

9. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hahaha

10. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sacramento looking over its' shoulder again???

11. HoustonUnited

HoustonUnited Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    DC United
    Really interesting on the Las Vegas front...its really pretty amazing that Vegas could go from no professional sports teams, to 3 professional sports teams (NHL, NFL, and MLS) in just a few years.

One thing, that i was thinking recently, is does anyone else think Real Salt Lake would have a problem with Phoenix getting in. RSL has proven to be one of the best academies, and a big part of their overall strategy relies on homegrown talent providing them with a less expensive roster. Arizona is part of RSL's homegrown territory (and former home to their academy HQ), and a big provider of their youth talent.

Now, RSL is only one vote...and also, if MLS eliminates homegrown territories (which I think they should), then this ceases to be a problem. But with the current homegrown territory rules in place, and with RSL's cost structure...If im RSL, I would be strongly against Phoenix joining the league

12. CharlottetownFC

Sep 2, 2015
    Club:
    Charlotte
    I think Vegas may have even put some salt on the Phx bid because the league (seemingly) has backed off of AZ a little in their most recent comments. Vegas basically gives you everything Phx does without the history of being a troubled sports market (seems like an AZ team is always threatening to move or needed a new stadium) plus it's Vegas.

13. CrazyJ628

CrazyJ628 Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    The center of the Earth
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't they doing away with homegrown territories next year?

I think this Vegas bid is interesting. They could have a retractable pitch like the AZ Cardinals stadium while still maintaining a climate-controlled indoor-only stadium. As an RSL fan, I wold like a LV team just so fans have a serious option for an away trip. Vegas is only 5 1/2 hours. Denver is 8-9 and Sacramento is 10-11.

14. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it was gonna be down to Vegas and Phoenix for team 30 the whole time, and I also share that assessment. Phoenix is the larger market, but Vegas is pursuing this aggressively, and of course MLS would love to replicate the Golden Knight success story with soccer.

When we are talking Detroit/Charlotte/Vegas/Phoenix , Vegas now leads that 4 horse race id say (which is really a three horse race because detroit died before leaving the gate)

CharlottetownFC repped this.
  15. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Brian in Boston

Brian in Boston Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    MA & CA, USA
    I wouldn't read too much into that. The last time i checked, there were 19 people listed as partners in Fenway Sports Group, parent company of the Boston Red Sox and Liverpool FC.

John W. Henry is the principal partner and estimated to hold a 40% stake in Fenway Sports Group. FSG President Michael Gordon controls a 12% stake in the partnership. Just one other partner - Tom Werner - holds as much as 10%. That means that the remaining 38% of FSG is split between 16 partners.

While Seth Klarman's experiences as a member of Fenway Sports Group may have convinced him of professional soccer's viability as a business venture and inspired him to pursue a Major League Soccer franchise for Las Vegas, I don't know that any of the heavy-hitters who are calling the financial and managerial shots for the Boston Red Sox and Liverpool FC are going to be investing much - if any - time, money, or effort into the Las Vegas Lights-to-MLS campaign.

17. CharlottetownFC

Sep 2, 2015
    Club:
    Charlotte
    I really felt like Tepper/Charlotte had a leg up pending what stadium solution was put together but if Vegas can get this thing pushed through without too many hiccups we may get another Nashville situation where a city comes out of nowhere to steal a spot.

18. BookerT

BookerT Member

Mar 27, 2007
    NC
    Maybe it’s just me, but I’m less enthusiastic about Las Vegas than any other potential expansion market.

don gagliardi repped this.
  19. soccer daddy

soccer daddy Member

dortmund
    United States
    Mar 26, 2019
    They will have the same problem Phoenix has. Late PT starts due to heat. If they played during the winter, it would be ideal. They should build training complexes for spring training there like Arizona has for baseball. In exchange they get the MLS Cup at the Raiders stadium every couple of years.

20. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Lights kick off at 7:30 Pacific but:

In artist renderings released today to the Sun, the 24,000-seat stadium appears to do that — there’s a vinyl retractable roof, and air-conditioning ducts every three rows in the stands. All seats can be shaded.

On game days, the roof will be closed during the day with air conditioning blasting to keep the facility cool. The playing surface will be turf and the sides of the stadium are open. It’s similar in look to Centre Court at Wimbledon.

aetraxx7 repped this.
  21. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    You must have missed this part:

Dome

aetraxx7 repped this.
  22. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  23. CharlottetownFC

Sep 2, 2015
    Club:
    Charlotte
    #424 CharlottetownFC, Jun 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    I have not confirmed that it is a separate bid but the Golden Knights owner should jump in the bed with the current bid (Lights) and make it one mutual effort for LV MLS. I get that nobody wants to split the pie when it comes out of the oven and that is why multiple bids happen but I feel like more than one bid will just cause in fighting and lead to nobody getting in, it could easily be the opposite at the same time.

So it is a separate bid and has no ties at all to the Lights, I prefer the lights just to see Cashman get updated but this could work out if Mark Davis buys into the MLS squad and makes them co tenants versus being a guest in the Raiders new place. It's already being split with UNLV so the fall-winter will be busy in there if this happens.

24. CharlottetownFC

Sep 2, 2015
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Rahbiefowlah repped this.