Who's going to the Euros?

Discussion in 'Poland' started by Marbur66, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Marbur66

Marbur66 New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Canada
    What players do you think should be representing Poland at the Euros this year? I think some of the players Leo has tried (Piszczek, Brozek) are not ready for the big stage (as shown in the US debacle). I know that Zurawski is the captain, but I think his time is up and he's not the player he was before he got injured at Celtic. He should be dropped for the starting line-up at the least, and maybe dropped altogether to give someone else a chance. Any thoughts on rosters? I think these players should be considered for the squad:

Starters:

Bak, Zewlakow, Wasilewski, Radomski
    Kuba, Lewandowski, Dudka, Krzynowek
    Smolarek, Matusiak

Bench:

Bronowicki, Golanski
    Gargula, Kazmierczak, Lobodzinski
    Jelen, Janczyk

(Boruc and Fabianski as keepers)

2. Smoga

Smoga Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Brooklyn, NYC
    Leo today released a list of 31 players out of whom he'll take 23 to the tournament. Saganowski is a surprise, so is Wichniarek - both seemed to have buried their chances with lackluster performance in the friendlies. Good to see Janczyk in there as well - it's probably the best bunch of strikers we could hope for, save for Sikora.

No Jelen, which is not surprising, but I wish Grosicki would have been called up.

As for defense, I am a little surprised that Baszczynski is not there. Bronowicki and Wasilewski sucked against the US, but they are both Leo's boys...

Bramkarze: Artur Boruc (Celtic Glasgow), Tomasz Kuszczak (Manchester United), Łukasz Fabiański (Arsenal Londyn), Wojciech Kowalewski (Kolporter Korona Kielce)

Obrońcy: Jacek Bąk, Arkadiusz Radomski (obaj Austria Wiedeń), Marcin Wasilewski (Anderlecht Bruksela), Paweł Golański (Steaua Bukareszt), Mariusz Jop (FK Moskwa), Adam Kokoszka (Wisła Kraków), Jakub Wawrzyniak (Legia Warszawa), Michał Żewłakow (Olympiakos Pireus), Grzegorz Bronowicki (Crvana Zvezda Belgrad)

Pomocnicy: Dariusz Dudka, Wojciech Łobodziński (obaj Wisła Kraków), Jakub Błaszczykowski (Borussia Dortmund), Mariusz Lewandowski (Szachtar Donieck), Rafał Murawski (Lech Poznań), Łukasz Garguła (PGE GKS Bełchatów), Jacek Krzynówek (VfL Wolfsburg), Euzebiusz Smolarek (Racing Santander), Radosław Majewski (Groclin Grodzisk Wlkp.), Michał Goliński (Zagłębie Lubin), Michał Pazdan (Górnik Zabrze).

Napastnicy: Maciej Żurawski (AE Larissa), Tomasz Zahorski (Górnik Zabrze), Radosław Matusiak (Wisła Kraków), Łukasz Piszczek (Hertha Berlin), Marek Saganowski (FC Southampton), Artur Wichniarek (Arminia Bielefeld), Dawid Janczyk (CSKA Moskwa).

3. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm surprised Zurawski is on the squad..he hasn't performed up to par in my opinion, I would rather see Pawel Brozek or Marek Zienczuk in his place

4. NumberSoul

NumberSoul New Member

Aug 23, 2007
    Surprised? Really? Honestly he isn't well liked, but I thought it was kind of obvious he was going espically since he was playing club football even if he stayed in celtic he probably would have went. His the captain. :rolleyes:

5. Marbur66

Marbur66 New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Canada
    I guess we can add Roger to that list now. I haven't seen him play to be honest. I hope he's good.

6. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yea..um when was the last time Zurawski scored a goal for the National team?

We need strikers that have more speed and agility than Zurawski

7. NumberSoul

NumberSoul New Member

Aug 23, 2007
    I'm not going to argue that he is good, but his the captain that plays club football. How are you not surprised? Did you expect Zurawski was going to be dropped, his has always been called up. I have a safe bet he will even start. Like it or not.

8. dziabac

dziabac New Member

Dec 25, 2001
    Prospect Heights, IL
    Brozek is good for a Polish Extraklasa that's about it. In International level this guy can't perform, we saw that in last game against USA.

9. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well in that game it's fair to say every player sucked

10. NumberSoul

NumberSoul New Member

Aug 23, 2007
    Yeah, I think people forget that it wasn't his only game. You also have to remember it's the Polish League scoring a lot of goals doesn't exactly mean you're good, I mean it's been a while since a good striker came from the Polish league that went to a high caliber team. The closest I would say would be Zurawski, and he was really dominant for Wisla.

11. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yea but that was a while back..if he was so good Celtic would still keep him has a player..BTW he got traded to a mediocre greek team not Olimpiakos or Panathenaikos

12. Marbur66

Marbur66 New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Canada
    Traded? :confused:

13. NumberSoul

NumberSoul New Member

Aug 23, 2007
    I was talking about Brozek mostly. I just used Zurawski as an example of him being the last decent striker to come from the polish league to be starting in a decent team. I mean it's really sad how rare it is to develop a world class player from polish league. I mean Smolarek who happens to be our best striker grew up through hollish system. I hate to see players from seconded rate countries playing for top teams in Italy, Spain, and England while we have polish players struggling to start for mediocre clubs.

14. Marbur66

Marbur66 New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Canada
    Yeah, Poland has extremely low star-power on their squad. That's probably why they fast-track third-rate Brazilians for the citizenship.

15. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Poland squad for the training camp in Germany just announced:

http://www.sport.pl/sport/1,89344,5193378.html

Bramkarze: Artur Boruc (Celtic Glasgow), Tomasz Kuszczak (Manchester United), Lukasz Fabianski (Arsenal Londyn)

Obroncy: Jacek Bak (Austria Wieden), Marcin Wasilewski (Anderlecht Bruksela), Pawel Golanski (Steaua Bukareszt), Mariusz Jop (FK Moskwa), Adam Kokoszka (Wisla Kraków), Jakub Wawrzyniak (Legia Warszawa), Michal Zewlakow (Olympiakos Pireus), Grzegorz Bronowicki (Crvana Zvezda Belgrad)

Pomocnicy: Dariusz Dudka (Wisla Kraków), Jakub Blaszczykowski (Borussia Dortmund), Mariusz Lewandowski (Szachtar Donieck), Rafal Murawski (Lech Poznan), Lukasz Gargula (PGE GKS Belchatów), Jacek Krzynówek (VfL Wolfsburg), Radoslaw Majewski (Groclin Grodzisk Wlkp.), Michal Pazdan (Górnik Zabrze), Roger Guerreiro (Legia Warszawa)

Napastnicy: Euzebiusz Smolarek (Racing Santander), Wojciech Lobodzinski (Wisla Kraków), Maciej Zurawski (AE Larissa), Tomasz Zahorski (Górnik Zabrze), Radoslaw Matusiak (Wisla Kraków), Marek Saganowski (FC Southampton).

16. polak metro

polak metro New Member

Feb 5, 2004
    why do they have lobodinski listed at foward

17. Marbur66

Marbur66 New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Canada
    Doesn't he play the wing?

18. polak metro

polak metro New Member

Feb 5, 2004
    yea so does blaszczykowski and lobodinski play same position but 1 is listed midfielder other foward makes no sense they play same exact position one starts other is on bench

19. Marbur66

Marbur66 New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Canada
    Yeah I thought the same thing when I read that, but who knows, could have been a misprint. Doesn't really matter I guess...