Who's going to Russia?

Discussion in 'USA Men: World Cup Fans & Travel' started by John McGuirk, Jul 3, 2014.

1. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    If that is the case, and the USMNT does play a game in Kaliningrad, then I would likely just attend that game. If multiple entries are allowed for people with multiple tickets then I'd base myself in Lithuania and attend any USMNT game in Kaliningrad, St. Petersburg or Moscow by driving/flying in just before the game and leaving right after.

2. PabloSanDiego

PabloSanDiego Member+

West Ham United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @Real Corona, from what I've read no visas will be required at all. Not even a "special visa" like we had to get for Brazil. Maybe I'm not understanding things correctly, but from what I've read all we'll need to do is show up during the tournament (or "just before" whatever that time period will be), and fans from any/every country can enter Russia with just a passport.

This has to apply for multiple entries too, such as if a fan were to attend the group stage, then return for the final or something like that.

Here are a few links (there's a lot more):

Russia adopts law for 2018 FIFA World Cup and FIFA Confederations Cup 2017

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/...o-attend-2018-world-cup-in-russia/503325.html

http://voiceofrussia.com/2014_07_11/Russia-to-cancel-visas-for-World-Cup-fans-in-2018-Putin-9017/

3. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What are the requirements for an American to drive/rent a car in Russia? Do I need a special license and how do I get it?

4. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You need an international drivers license, endless amounts of patience, caution and bribe money.

You can get an international license from AAA.

FoxBoro 143 repped this.
  5. ACGreen

ACGreen Member

May 12, 2004
    São Paulo, Brasil
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And a Dash Cam. Don't forget the dash cam. The internet has taught,me,that it,is illegal to drive in Russia without one.

Fact.

taylor and Real Corona repped this.
  6. TimmyHoward

TimmyHoward Member

Jun 18, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those who are on the fence about going to Russia for the next World Cup due to money concerns, I've created a savings system for myself that might help others.

I get paid 26 times a year, or 2 times a month. I am taking $50 out of every check and transferring it to a separate bank account I have. I plan on doing this until November of 2017, which is 39 months. All together that is $3,900 saved.

Also, for a limited time Chase Cards are offering 50k United Airline miles if you spend $2,000 within the first 3 months. Offer is until September 1st, after that the offer will drop back down to 30K. Great way to get miles for the World Cup. I've included the link to the sign up if anyone is interested.

https://www.theexplorercard.com/50kAFWLTO?cell=H8X&AFFID=V9z8Jhikh24-AXC2vzqi3TywCn8BCaun7g

taylor repped this.
  7. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that I would know this, but you can actually sign up for multiple airline cards and get the 30k bonus a couple times...... just saying.

TimmyHoward repped this.
  8. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The way the Russian police operate, driving in Russia is illegal, and you must pay a fine every time they see you doing it.

Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  9. TimmyHoward

TimmyHoward Member

Jun 18, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're always one step ahead of the game Corona! What's the trick to multiple cards why still getting the bonus for the same airline?

10. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess they don't mind you opening two or three different cards.

Again I don't in any way know this from experience. It's not like I opened three united and delta cards and got almost 100k miles.

For the avid traveller

http://thepointsguy.com

11. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I flew United from SFO to Frankfurt a few weeks ago and it was one of my worst flight experiences ever. But, 50K miles is no joke.

12. TimmyHoward

TimmyHoward Member

Jun 18, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I am in bitch!

2006 in germany for games, 2010 riyahd, 2014 divorce.

Also don't forget Confed Cup!

PSA:
    DO NOT GET A GIRL PREGGERS 9 MONTHS B4 GAMETIME!

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  14. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've already planned my vasectomy!

SteveCo and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  15. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    wish you had taken me at the oktoberfest 2005! I keed I keeed.
    wait... that came out wrong. ohhh boy...

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  16. William Penn

William Penn Member+

Jul 2, 2010
    Bethlehem
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm in... I have no idea how the process works, never been to a World Cup, but ideally I'd like to go to games in Kaliningrad (no matter who is playing) as I'll have a place to stay in Lithuania. If I have enough money I could explore going to other cities / following the USA in Russia main.

17. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta

I'm no stranger to grabbing 50k miles on a card and then canceling before the annual fee is due but I have a hard time believing there will be much reward availability to Russia from the USA during that time frame. But my guess is that you should be able to get to Europe and then fly on a cheaper flight to Russia.

I'm flying from Barcelona to Atlanta (British Airways Avios via London) and then from Atlanta back to Sarajevo (Turkish via Istanbul using United miles) this summer in business class and there was quite a bit of availability. Last summer I flew from Atlanta to Vilnius in business (Lufthansa using United miles) and there was also a ton of availability. However, there was not much in the way of economy or premium economy availability and there never seems to be very much during the peak summer travel season.

Aeroflot is a Delta partner so if you have SkyMiles you might be in luck in 2018. I've never acquired much in the way of SkyMiles so I don't know much about typical availability.

All that being said, I recommend the Chase Sapphire Preferred if someone would like to load up on miles between now and summer 2018. They typically offer 55,000 miles to start and are very good for restaurants and travel. They transfer in some way, shape or form to nearly every airline you can think of so it's just a great all-around card. Though it is $100/year for the fee, I have kept it open as it is a great card.

18. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    I may be cynical but I have a hard time believing the USA will end up in Kaliningrad. I doubt Putin wants 10-20k Americans in his little enclave.

19. William Penn

William Penn Member+

Jul 2, 2010
    Bethlehem
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure he can actually do anything about it. It's all about the draw. Kaliningrad is hosting a game in quite a few groups.

Any updates from people? I'm absolutely going now. I have confirmed a place to stay in Lithuania, will go to Kaliningrad games at least and possibly in other cities if I save up a bit.

20. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Make sure you get a multi entry visa

21. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Crazy that the Hex starts in 5 months. This is all happening quickly.

22. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get the reasoning why Russia needed to put everything out west and keep it confined, but man it would have been cool to get a few spots off the beaten track like Vladivostok (to get the Asian world more involved) and Novosibirsk in on it, just so it wholly represented Russia. Im on the fence on going, leaning towards it still. I was wondering about the rundown on some of the other cities besides St Pete and Moscow, and Real Corona gave a fantastic rundown on it. No joke man, as others have said, you should write a guide book for world cup travelers, I think it would do pretty well.

23. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if you don't mind, and I know its a complete sidebar and not related to the thread much at all, but if Im able to pull this off im looking at the Trans Siberian too. Can you give rundowns on cities like Novosibirsk, Irkutsk/Lake Baikal, Khabarovsk, and Vladivostok? How long would you recommend for Lake Baikal? Any other places that might surprise that are a little off the beaten track? Thanks in advance

Real Corona repped this.
  24. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Couple questions, what are you interested in? Do you like cities and parties? Outdoors adventure? Camping out for weeks? Need more of an idea what you are looking for.

25. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nightlife from what I gather can be without fail no matter where you go, I like wilderness and camping fine too, but Id like to keep it close to the railway too (as much as Id like Kamchatka).

The big cities east of the Urals are of the most interest of things to stick around for other than the women. Do any of these post Soviet concrete masses have pleasant personalities to them? Just a quick rundown of Novosibirsk, Irkutsk, Khabarovsk, and Vladivostok would do. I think Baikal is self-explanatory, hopefully I can cram a week in there. Maybe that railway up to Yakutsk that just got completed would be an interesting story too (if I could tolerate the train by then and not smell like 3rd class boxcar)