Who's going to Russia?

Discussion in 'USA Men: World Cup Fans & Travel' started by John McGuirk, Jul 3, 2014.

1. John McGuirk

John McGuirk Member+

Jun 12, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am going. I want as many USMNT fans as possible here to get in on this with me.

Plenty of time to get prepared. You have no excuses.

Who's with me? Who?

bkn0528 repped this.
  2. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many visas will be denied? Could be interesting.

3. TimmyHoward

TimmyHoward Member

Jun 18, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's in my plans. Like the above poster mentioned, another World Cup country that requires a Visa to enter. Does anyone know how tough it is to obtain a Russian Visa?

4. soccer_23

soccer_23 Member

Feb 6, 2014
    I got a Russian visa for my trip to the Olympics earlier this year. The most confusing part is that you need an "invitation letter," which I got over the internet for $70, using some company that offers that service.

All told, I paid about $300 for a multi-entry visa valid for three years. It was more difficult than Brazil but not too bad once I figured out what I needed.

I suspect they'll make it easier for the World Cup like Brazil did. Though that's just me speculating.

socluis90 and John McGuirk repped this.
  5. kba4life

kba4life Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Claremont, California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd certainly like to go, I'm a cheap bastard though...hate draining my minuscule savings for anything. Aside from hookers and blow, of course.

Any recommendations on ETF's or some other bull to invest in to toss in like $50/month for 3.9 years?

6. socluis90

socluis90 Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    So Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know it is 4 years away but it would be awesome to keep this thread alive with any relevant information/tips. The VISA thing is news for me.

7. bigworm

bigworm Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the obligations of hosting a World Cup is to offer a no-fee visa like Brazil did. I'm sure it will work much the same way for Russia.

8. donovan2dempsey

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I certainly plan to go.

John McGuirk repped this.
  9. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    In

10. MTowho

MTowho Member

Jun 2, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Planning on going to my first World Cup. Just hope I don't end up on a minecart to Siberia by the end of it.

ttrevett repped this.
  11. TimmyHoward

TimmyHoward Member

Jun 18, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like Kaliningrad is the Manaus of this World Cup for host cities. Let's cross our fingers for a favorable draw travel wise! Would prefer not to log the travel miles in Russia I logged in Brazil!

12. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc
    I want in!

13. bigworm

bigworm Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never been to Kaliningrad, but I have been to Gdansk, Poland which is only a couple hundred km away. Gdansk is awesome, I would just stay there and take a train to the match.

14. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Wish I had a dollar, for every person who told me that they'll go to the next one with me.

El Chuma and Real Corona repped this.
  15. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Might well go. Also, the 100th anniversary of the murder of the Romanovs is summer 2018.

El Chuma repped this.
  16. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It does appear that Russia will waive visas for World Cup ticket holders. Not sure if the details have been outlined yet, but it was part of their bid. That could be very interesting.

17. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My plan right now is to go. Global geopolitics may create some uncertainty between now and then, but looking at Qatar in 2022 ain't any better from a geopolitical standpoint, so Russia in 2018 is my goal. I've not been to a World Cup Finals before, so I'll be looking for as many tips as people can share.

18. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goes without saying....

19. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am saving for Qatar :whistling:

20. Abracadabra

Abracadabra BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 11, 2006
    Olathe, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hate to say it, but one of the reasons I went to Brazil is because I can't in good conscience go to Russia. The Olympics and World Cup are meant to legitimize and solidify Putin's kleptocratic legacy. I would no more go to a World Cup in Russia than I would go to North Korea or Zimbabwe. F- Putin and F- FIFA for selling out to him. The most awesome geopolitical event of the century would be if nobody went to Russia. Nothing would more effectively embarrass both Sepp Blatter and Vladimir Putin.

Moreover it's my understanding that it's very likely that for both political and logistical reasons, FIFA will have to revoke the Qatar 2022 bid shortly after this WC ends, so I'm still hoping for a 2022 trip.

Sorry to be a buzzkill.

athletics68 and taylor repped this.
  21. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder

You will only deprive yourself of a great experience....hate to see your protest be in vain. But to each their own.

Crooked repped this.
  22. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kaliningrad is a shit hole. It's a naval base and otherwise neglected region of Russia. German tourists, who were evicted after World War II, have been known to return to the city and break down crying seeing what it has become. Kaliningrad may be the Manaus of 2018 distance wise, but unlike Manaus, there ain't shit there to see. The only thing remotely cool is a slightly restored castle, where the Prussian monarchy was founded and restored with German funds, and then there are some kind of cool dunes along the Baltic coast. The only problem is you need special permission to get there because the Baltic fleet is stationed there, which is also the only reason Russia held on to the territory.

I'm not sure how Russia will do visa's for the World Cup, but hopefully they will provide multi entry visas like Brazil did. Typically they charge a lot of money for only two entries.

PabloSanDiego repped this.
  23. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Putin wouldn't care. The World Cup and Olympics are not for foreigners. They are to demonstrate to Russian citizens the state and nations power and prestige. You could not show up and it'd still be a success because of the locals.

El Chuma repped this.
  24. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did a quick google search and no matter what, even if our 3 host cities are Kaliningrad, Yekaterinburg and Sochi, I don't believe we will travel more than Natal-Manaus-Recife (to say nothing of us hosting ourselves in Sao Paulo).

25. ACGreen

ACGreen Member

May 12, 2004
    São Paulo, Brasil
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, run down the only part of "Russia" I have seen. I had a friend who ran the Vilnius youth hostel sneak me in (long story) because I didnt want to pay the visa for a hit and run.

The coolest thing about the place is the high dunes forming the Spit of Neringa. (Certain geography nerds could possibly expound more on this. Ahem). Anyway, story goes that Rommel trained the Panzer corps there for the invasion of N. Africa.

As for Russia - I am in. Book it. Already saving up for Adidas track suits, mock turtleneck sweaters, a gold chain and a liver transplant.

@RealCorona, I'm your problem now.