Who's going to Guadalajara in Feb?

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by K, Dec 4, 2003.

1. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. vince stravino

vince stravino New Member

Dec 9, 2001
    Appalachia
    I think I'm IN!!!!!!

Look, I need a fix and for my hard earned time off, I think the "real" games to qualify the Yanks for Athens will be money better spent than Amsterdam (er, I think). The LA option for Denmark isn't too appealing as they will only be bringing their domestic league players.

I am 99% sure about hitting Guadalajara. I am interested in knowing who else will be going along to coordinate the drinking and transfers to games. Anyone know which hotel the team is staying at?

My plans are to head down on 2/4 and catch the Canada and Guatemala games and stay for the semi-final. The final is irrelevent if you win the semi 'cause qualifying is all that matters. Plus, this gives me/us a chance to catch a US squad thumping the Mexicans in their backyard if we match up in the round of four.

Also, any ideas about getting tix thru the US Federation so I can sit with the other dozens of US fans making the trip.

My elbow needs some work before then....

3. dred

dred Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    Land of Champions
    I'm interested in going also.

4. superlimey

superlimey Member

Jun 7, 1999
    Boulder, CO
    I'm interested as well - if the price of a flight drops a little. Anyone know on what date the semis will be played? Arriving for the Canada game would definately be the way to go.

By the way I went to Guadalajara for the Confed Cup in '99 and it is a beautiful city and one of the main reasons I'm contemplating going back for this tourney. That and the fact that the town of Tequila is just a stones throw from there ;)

Btw for that Tourney we ended up getting tkts thru Ticketmaster Mexico. Booked them online here and picked them up at their office in Guadalajara, it worked like a dream although we were in the upper deck.

5. vince stravino

Dec 9, 2001
    Appalachia
    Done deal

I am going. I think at least one friend and fan is going, too. Anyone else in?

I am still trying to figure out where to stay? Anyone out there know the best part of the city for nightlife and safety (er, gulp). I imagine getting to and from the stadium shouldn't be too bad.

Tickets should be easy, although I'd really like to sit with fellow Yanks. My plans are to arrive 2/4 and stay thru the semi-final 2/10.

Anyone going who wants to contact me....wingmandeluxe@hotmail.com

Ciao,
    Vince Stravino

6. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago
    Vince, I will try to do a Guadalajara Travel Tips piece today or tomorrow. Most tourists stay in an area just south of the Plaza Tapatia. Estadio Jalisco is conveniently located about 3 miles south of the Plaza. You could walk but there are lots of busses that go there. The subway does not go near the stadium.

7. Man, I'm really scheming on how to get to 2 or 3 of these games. Guadalajara is a really good time. There's tons to do--this is where the mariachi band originated. And, as mentioned, the state of Jalisco is the home of Tequila. 'Nuf said. Check out the huge Mercado Libertad and spend a day roaming the market in Tonala and the shops in Tlaquepaque. And I'd love to get to Barra de Navidad to hang on the beach for a couple of days, too! (Only a 4-hour bus ride away.)

The US group play is not at Estadio Jalisco, but at Estadio Tres de Marzo, wherever that is. The cabbies will know. If I make it, I'll find the rest of youze US fans.

You can't go wrong hanging in Guadalajara for a few days.

8. vince stravino

Dec 9, 2001
    Appalachia
    PCC, you'll have to get there by hook or by crook. The games will only be televised on PPV in the States.

Game times were announced today. The US plays all of it's group games at 8PM locally (9PM EST). That'll be on the 3rd, 5th and 7th.

The semi-finals will be on the 10th with the first game at 530PM (630PM EST) and the second to follow at 8PM (9PM EST).

The consolation and final will be on the 12th will the times of the games being the same.

Let go Yanks!!!!

9. beineke

beineke New Member

Sep 13, 2000
    The game on the 7th has been moved to 1 pm local time.

10. NoSix

NoSix Member+

Feb 18, 2002
    Phoenix
    Anyone going to the game who would be willing to give updates by cell/satellite phone to the rest of us stuck in the TV-broadcastless States? I for one would be willing to make a donation to defray the communications costs.

11. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am with Nosix...

I will pay the phone costs for anyone willing to provide me with phone updates from the stadium. I will immediately post the updates to BigSoccer.

Send me an e-mail at juvefan4@yahoo.com or post a reply to work this out.

We gotta help each other out here..

- Brian

12. vince stravino

Dec 9, 2001
    Appalachia
    Can you hear me now?

I'll be at the games, but I doubt I'd really wanna worry about making international calls during the action. I'll check into getting a phone. Cost is no biggee, but someone will have to privately get me a phone number to call in the States as a Central contact. My email is wingmandeluxe@hotmail.com.

P.S. I am only staying at thru the semi-finals.

13. vince stravino

Dec 9, 2001
    Appalachia
    Live stream

Philips Match tracker will have the matches live according to USSF site.

That'll be more complete and accurate than me trying to watch and dial.

14. NoSix

NoSix Member+

Feb 18, 2002
    Phoenix
    Re: Live stream

If you believe that, you obviously have never used matchtracker. It is usually at least 10 minutes behind the action, when it works at all. The first round qualifier game was typical - at about 65 minutes it froze up and didn't start working again until after the game was over.