Who you wearing?

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by TheBaRoN, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know about where you're from, but here putting your own name on a jersey is grounds for serious ridicule.

2. O'Dubhghaill Rules!

May 21, 2001
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Back when I was maybe 13 I had the option of putting my name or "Larsson" on the back of a Celtic jersey with the number 7. I put my last name. Now the jersey hides somewhere in the far corners of my closet never to be worn ever again. I'd still wear it once in a blue moon for nostalgia's sake if it said Larsson.

3. repin1836

repin1836 Member

Jan 26, 2006
    Houston
    Heydude - 2, even though he won't start, might not be the best crosser, everyonce in a while makes mental mistakes; he works as hard as anyone on the team. And after seeing him in Dallas celebrate with Sam's Army when no one else did, I was impressed. We need more guys with that passion and appreciation. And I'll prolly get a Gooch jersey too.

4. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Not sure if I'll have the funds to buy a jersey but if I do it'll be Gooch #22 on the away jersey. If I get the home one as well I'd probably get either McBride #20, Dempsey #8, Lewis #7, or Bocanegra #4.

I'd say getting the #22 with Gooch is pretty safe, Boca will be with the team at least thru 2010 and Gooch is unlikely to pass him in caps in that time (Boca has a head start of over 30, only chance Gooch would have would be if he was playing in MLS).

5. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    I agree. I have a Galatasaray jersey with my name on the back of it that I got as a gift from a Turkish friend of my dad's, I'll wear that from time to time because who the hell knows that #10 for Galatasaray isn't actually named "Fowler", but if it was a team that people in the US actually know about I would never wear it.

6. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    Caligiuri

7. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So is Gooch to wear 22? What does he wear for club? And what is this about him wearing 6?

I dont know what would be better.... Gooch 22 or Onyewu 22

8. O'Dubhghaill Rules!

May 21, 2001
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I kinda like that.

9. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    McBride 20, but I can't decide what size to get. I bought an XL Boca Juniors jersey one time and I swear to god that it felt like a M. I'm "husky" you could say, but not real big. 5'11" 185. I just like my shirts roomy, but hate 'em long.

Maybe I'll get an XXL and just sinch it. ;) Wasn't that an SNL skit from years ago?

10. Ultra Peanut

Ultra Peanut New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Achewood
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He wears 5 for club. He'll probably wear 22 at the World Cup because it's likely Boca will be there, and Boca gets dibs on 4. Early appearances for the national team had him in 6
    [​IMG]

but 22 is what he wore for the Mexico game where he stared his way into everyone's hearts, hence discussion here of getting that number.

11. the other Sepp

the other Sepp New Member

Dec 1, 2005
    I'm expecting Cherundolo to get the #6.
    Any players likely to bump him out of his number?

We need an intelligent BS'er (does such a creature exist?) to assemble a roster with expected numbers for each player.

12. O'Dubhghaill Rules!

May 21, 2001
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I'll give it a shot:

[ 1] HAHNEMANN
    [ 2] HEJDUK
    [ 3] BERHALTER/see 12/14
    [ 4] MASTROENI (last World Cup number, since he can't wear 25)/BOCANEGRA
    [ 5] O'BRIEN/ZAVAGNIN (ONYEWU?)
    [ 6] CHERUNDOLO
    [ 7] LEWIS
    [ 8] DEMPSEY (first preference is 2)
    [ 9] JOHNSON
    [ 10] REYNA
    [ 11] I have a feeling someone is going to be "stuck" with this number/NOONAN
    [ 12] BOCANEGRA (has worn 12, first preference is 4)/GIBBS (first preference would be 23, also worn 12)/CONRAD
    [ 13] TWELLMAN (has worn 13, first preference is 20)
    [ 14] Defender (BOCA? adding a 1 to his 4)
    [ 15] CONVEY
    [ 16] WOLFF (wore 15 at last World Cup, but preferred number is 16)
    [ 17] BEASLEY
    [ 18] KELLER
    [ 19] GK
    [ 20] MCBRIDE
    [ 21] DONOVAN
    [ 22] ONYEWU
    [ 23] POPE

It appears that Mastroeni making or not making the team has the biggest impact on who gets what number.

13. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    My guess:

1-Howard
    2-Hejduk
    3-Bocanegra (Mastro has seniority for #4, Boca wears #3 for Fulham)
    4-Mastroeni (can't wear #25)
    5-Albright (likes low numbers)
    6-Cherundolo
    7-Lewis
    8-Dempsey
    9-Johnson
    10-Reyna
    11-Noonan
    12-Gibbs
    13-Twellman
    14-Zavagnin
    15-Convey
    16-Wolff
    17-Beasley
    18-Keller
    19-Hahnemann
    20-McBride
    21-Donovan
    22-Onyewu
    23-Pope

14. ghazi

ghazi Member

Feb 27, 2004
    Chicago
    For those getting Gooch shirts, are you putting ONYEWU on the back or GOOCH?

15. gngrasso

gngrasso Member

Dec 16, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Just pre-ordered away (blue) '06 jersey from Onion Bag. Personalized with No. 21 (love the retro numbering) and my BS name. If somebody spots me in Germany, say hi!!!

Wering red DTOM tee to the games

16. REV IT UP

REV IT UP Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jul 12, 2004
    San Francisco
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do not have a name on my previous USA jersey yet. I have Dempsey on my Revs jersey, and I already decided that Parkhurst will be on my new revs kit. So that means Twellman will either be on the old USA jersey or the new one. If he makes the WC 06 roster then he gets the new, if not then he gets the on the old, and I'll have to decide who gets the other. My other USA favorites are Ralston, McBride, Beasley, and Bocanegra.

RRRREV IT UP

17. EdBeasley

EdBeasley New Member

Dec 7, 2005

Johnson #9. Because he's the most exciting player the US has.

18. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My friend needs help - he is not huge on soccer but I'm taking him to the World Cup. He wants a jersey, and he wants to get Reyna, but Reyna is kind of up there in age.

He likes the idea that I gave him of "Capt. America" on the back (sorry if anyone else is doing this?) and I said that it could be used when Donovan assumes the 10 and Captaincy also.

Am I correct in saying this?

19. O'Dubhghaill Rules!

May 21, 2001
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Also, to anyone who who is interested in getting a Dempsey jersey but were uncertain about a number. Today I think solidified that he is sticking with 8. Spector had number 2 for the Poland match, and Dempsey has 11 minutes of seniority over him (I do believe). So it looks like no matter what, on the Nats level Deuce will be 8.

20. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Onyewu.

21. Fussballman 7

Fussballman 7 Member

Oct 29, 2000
    Dresden, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Onyewu as well

22. dkrboys

dkrboys New Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Simi Valley, CA
    I've got Dempsey's #2 away jersey that I purchased last year (hard to find, by the way). I've got his #8 jersey pre-ordered through US Soccer. I really, really want Convey's, but we've spent so much frickin' cash to get to Germany, don't think I can afford it!

23. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In that case I will assume so.

24. TheBaRoN

TheBaRoN Member

Jan 23, 2006
    London, England
    Just ordered Dempsey #8 with shorts and socks from BS as i can't get the names printed here in UK where i am anyway.

Will be wearing it whenever my England kit is in the wash and i'm playing football with my mates.

25. dkrboys

dkrboys New Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Simi Valley, CA
    Is there a reason nobody wants #11?? I'm a little slow, sorry if this has already been discussed!