Who would you start on the backline against the Czechs?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by NBlue, Apr 24, 2006.

1. NBlue

NBlue Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Orlando, Florida
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems to me that the vast majority of those on this site as well as the coaching staff agree that Cherundolo and Onyewu will start on the backline against the Czech Republic. However, there seems to me to be much debate about who should be paired with Gooch in the center and who should harness the left back position. I figured this would be a good opportunity to take the pulse of BS on our feelings on the best defense for Germany. So please vote and explain your choices!

2. FreedomJess

FreedomJess New Member

Nov 7, 2005
    AZ
    Dolo--Gooch--Pope--Gibbs

3. Soccerprep

Soccerprep Member

Aug 26, 2005
    Lafayette, LA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ditto, also spector should no longer be considered he is having surgery after his seaspn ends, and thus he will not be available for the nats

4. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dolo-----Gooch -----Gibbs -----Lewis

We need speed and strength in the middle , players that can cope with Koller and Baros . We need wide players that can get well into the attack and get good crosses into the box to MCHead and EJ . I think Dolo can take Nedved :D

5. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004
    I don't trust Pope. And since I know everything, you should not trust him either.

Just kidding...but it appears the masses do like Gibbs more than Pope for that CB spot. It's real hard not to like Gibbs when you can't remember him doing anything other than pretty much dominate whoever he marks. Gooch and Gibbs is a very formidable center back pairing, both are huge, athletic, and extremely underrated by the rest of the world, if they even know who they are.

The potential for a Gooch Gibbs pairing is out of this world. Potentially, they could shut down any forward pair in the world. Potentially.

6. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Potentially, yes, and that applies to the tandem's athletic attributes as well.

However, I am edging towards Eddie Pope, based on his experience -- let's not forget that this is going to be his third World Cup finals campaign, and that's got to speak volumes.

After WC2006, I can see Gooch and Gibbs being a central defensive pairing for the better part of the next decade... that can happen, easily.

Steve Cherundolo's going to be a lock at right back, and there's a lot of up-sides to having Eddie Lewis as the wing-back on the left-hand side.

7. XYZ123456

XYZ123456 New Member

Jun 13, 1999
    I don't have much faith in Pope, I hope he's exposed in the warm up games.

Why is Spector on this poll and why are people voting for him? He's already been ruled out for the Cup by his agent because he's injured.

8. AGF Aarhus

AGF Aarhus Member

Union Berlin
    Apr 7, 2001
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Gooch and Gibbs can bang in the middle with the physical Czechs. Mastro wears Nedved like a glove (with Dolo helping out). Lewis and Dolo have the speed and offensive ablity to start counter attacks. Run some overlapping passes on the wings, they can both cross it well at McBride's head. I like it.