Who will win this group?

Discussion in 'GROUP D: Argentina, Croatia, Iceland, Nigeria' started by Christina99, Dec 1, 2017.

?

Wich teams will go through?

1. Argentina

53 vote(s)
    39.8%
  2. Croatia

39 vote(s)
    29.3%
  3. Iceland

17 vote(s)
    12.8%
  4. Nigeria

24 vote(s)
    18.0%
  1. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    I'm not underestimating them at all, but their Defence SUCKS.

I expect a high scoring affair, either side can win. Or a tie suits Nigeria.

We have lost to them 4 times at the WC. Something has to change at some point. Why not now ? They are down right now while we are riding high. Our boys will want to prove they can finally beat Argentina and show the world that friendly was no fluke. I am more confident about this game than I was going in to today's Iceland match to be honest.

I think Nigeria is better both in Defence and midfield, while Argentina has the superior attack.

Make of that what you will. I just hope Caballero is in goal on Tuesday.

2. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
  3. miky

miky Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Nigeria should do exactly what Iceland did, sit back and soak up pressue

Hit argentina with a counter of moses, musa and iheanacho

If that game opens up, we are finished!! argentina wants blood

TheHitman47 repped this.
  4. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    no not what Iceland did, a happy medium though.

We shouldn't sit back but we shouldn't pour too many men forward unless it is a quick transition. We have to be more efficient with our counter attacking. Both today, and other times during WCQ we could have scored so many more goals if we were more clinical.

TheHitman47 repped this.
  5. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    #2530 Kamtedrejt, Jun 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
    Yes. You won't find Albanians rooting for Serbia. That's absolutely another story. Actually I wouldn't say I hate Serbia but I would never root for them either. I usually try to stay neutral but yesterday in the game with Switzerland with originally four Albanian players in the line-up I discovered me rooting for the Swiss. But that was only one very special game. I wouldn't mind if Serbia beats Brazil and eliminates them in the last group game. Out of all top teams I dislike Brazil the most.

zahzah and Nico777 repped this.
  6. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    I'd be surprised if Iceland beats Croatia. I expect a Croatia win or a draw. Even if Croatia rest a few players, they still have a lot of depth, and even benching Modric and Rakitic, they still have players like: Badelj, Brozovic, and Kovacic. World Class? No, but Talented? Yes absolutely. Definitely enough to control the midfield against Iceland. I'd also like to see Pjaca get some playing time, as I believe he has very high potential.

Iceland will also have to push for goals, which will leave spaces open at the back. Absolutely something you never want to do against Croatia. They made one of the best teams in Africa look terrible.

7. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I'm not expecting it either, but don't forget that Iceland did beat Croatia recently in the European WCQ. Hell, they even finished that group first, forcing Croatia to a second-place playoff vs. Greece to make it to the WC

8. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    Yes but that was in Iceland though. Reykjavik is a tough place to go and play football with the conditions. Also Iceland did not dominate, it was just off a lucky set piece in dying minutes. Plus, Croatia were coached by Cacic at that time, a manager that was a little behind on tactics, and had a reputation of sometimes getting his tactics wrong. Dalic is a much more consistent manager and has a better idea of how to play each game with the best tactical plan. I bet that if Dalic managed Croatia throughout the whole qualifying campaign, the team would not have dropped hardly any points. Maybe might have drew Iceland in Reykjavik but that is it.

9. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    @Nico777 - do you know if Croatia will play its regular starting line-up against Iceland?

I read an interview with Modric yesterday where he said Croatia would go out to for the win if that can help Argentina.

10. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Probably doing PR there.

At present times no one can pass them for the first place in the group D.

Why risk the health of their players, or the possibilities to get sancioned with yellow or red cards that will not allow them to play for the next match or for next stages as well ?

most wise call, would be to have starters rest, and play a useless match for them, with their bench players. And more so, considering that the both potential opponents, next stage, might also play for a draw and rest their players as well.

11. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark

I'm here. Iceland is still alive, but they need a win. Will Croatia play competitively or just kick the ball around?

12. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Fun fact: In all of Iceland's recorded history, no day has ever been as hot as it was in Volgograd today.:eek:

13. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    There are some reports in Croatian media that four players who are in danger of a suspension won't play. These players are Mandžukić, Rakitić, Vrsaljko and Rebić. Brozović is suspended anyways after collecting two yellow cards. Possible replacements are Kramarić, Kovačić, Badelj, Jedvaj and Pjaca. Veteran Čorluka is also expected to start. So we will see quite a few changaes. But we shouldn't forget that a reserve squad beat Spain 2-1 in the third game in the EURO 2016. Iceland won't have an easy task to beat Croatia. That's for sure.

Pipiolo and Nico777 repped this.
  14. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    #2539 Nico777, Jun 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
    They will play a mixed team but won't lose unless they have still in mind Argentinians behaviours :D

Pipiolo repped this.
  15. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    Hehe so you mean that Croatia will be the team to send them back home just like in 2014?
    Interesting ^^

16. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    And again this world cup shows that qualifiers don't mean much...i kept telling for months that most important for Croatia was to qualify and they did.
    Now Croatia is topping the group while Icelandics players are close to the airport.

17. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Cream rises to the top .. which is why Portugal won't win the WC .

The WC has NEVER had an upset or smaller team win .

It's always been won by one of the five faves going into the competition.

Presumably that's between Brazil , Spain , Germany , France and Belgium this time ..

SoccerMomof2 and Pipiolo repped this.
  18. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    Football is changing....spain and france never won a world cup before 98 and 2010...2 new world champs from the last 5 world cups.

19. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Ha ha. Enjoy it while you can. When Croatia goes out (and they will), you will receive (and deserve) a lot of derision. We will see if you are as bad a poor loser as you are a poor winner. :p

20. cromagnum

cromagnum Member+

Aug 13, 2007
    Croatia has good players on the bench better then Iceland starters for sure. Playing the second string team against Spain worked out well as these players will be motivated to show the coach what they can do. If I'm the coach i don't risk any of the guys on a yellow and rest any player with a slight injury.
    Report starting 11 is this.
    Kalinic
    Jedvaj Corluka Caleta Car Pivaric
    Badelj-Bradaric
    Perisic-Kovacic-Pjaca
    Kramaric
    Still a pretty strong lineup i just wish Rog was there instead of Bardaric.

21. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    I really hope for a Croatia - Denmark clash in the Round of 16. Should be fun with you and @Nico777 regardless of the outcome.

Pipiolo and Hayaka repped this.
  22. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    The poor loser is you dude, right here right now ^^
    And when we will go out we will still have higher best performances in world cup history than both Denmark and Iceland united ;)

Kisses ^^

23. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    They were in the top five favourites for THOSE competitions .. that was my point . Belgium have never won anything but they're expected to do well ..
    No EURO type surprises like Greece or a Denmark victory

24. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    I'd like to see Serbia play Croatia tbh.

25. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    France missed world cups in 90 and 94. There were not so many people believing they would win. It is easier to say they were among favorites once they have done it.