Who will win this group of death?

Discussion in 'GROUP G: Belgium, England, Tunisia, Panama' started by world soccer magazines, Dec 1, 2017.

?

Group of death winner will be...

Poll closed Jun 9, 2018.
  1. Belgium.

38.7%
  2. Tunisia...hahaha...

9.7%
  3. Panama....hahahahahahahahahaha...too good.

11.3%
  4. England...hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...stop it, that's too much man.

29.0%
  5. Italy...oh wait.

11.3%
  1. Mifek

Mifek Member

AFC Ajax
    Poland
    Apr 1, 2018
    Warsaw, Poland
    Apparently, you are forgetting about 1978 when they beat Mexico (3:1), tied against the world champs (Germany, 0:0), and were extremely unlucky against Poland (0:1).

I don't think Tunisia is the best African team by now (this would be Morocco), but they are nearly as good as Nigeria or Senegal. Definitely a very solid team that will be hard to beat for both England and Belgium. My only reservation is that their offensive game looks very chaotic (or unorganized), though I haven't watched that last friendly against Portugal, so maybe they have recently improved on that.

2. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Yeah. My comment should have excluded 1978. Didn't watch it of course but apparently they played well.

3. Naffster

Naffster New Member

AC Milan
    Tunisia
    May 29, 2018
    History don’t mean nothing in football, this is the first Tunisian squad that reminds me of the 1978 one, they’re technical and play a balanced football unlike the previous squads that relied solely on defense and contre-attaque, they might lose to England and Belgium and exit the tournament early but I’m positive they will not be a pushover.

Mifek repped this.
  4. Mifek

Mifek Member

AFC Ajax
    Poland
    Apr 1, 2018
    Warsaw, Poland
    I actually did watch them back in 1978, and they were of course one of the biggest surprises of that tournament. After watching Zaire in 1974, I certainly did not expect any African team to play so well. This and the performance of Algeria in 1982 and Morocco in 1986 taught me a great respect for all teams from Maghreb, even though with some rare exceptions (like Morocco in 1998) they were unable to impress me so much on any of the more recent World Cups. This reminds me of my World Cup experiences with teams like Cameroon, Nigeria or Senegal, as their early achievements set the bar so high that they seem no longer able to satisfy my expectations, even when playing a very decent football, like for example Nigeria in 2014. I'm afraid the same will happen to CIV and Ghana (if they manage to qualify for any of the next World Cups). Having said that, I still hope that Morocco will become one of the dark horses in 2018, because I really like the way they play since recently.

5. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    As an englishman..i know we arent going to win the world cup but we are alot better than tunisia and panama..we are also more than capable of beating belgium who are led by a clown of a manager. Sick of negativity around england and english bashers by some of these peewads on this thread. In kane sterling alli and rashford we have the talent to win the group..if we draw columbia in the next round we should be able to see them off as we are a better side than them..only argentina and brazil are better south american teams than england.. yes our midfield isnt great, neither is our centrebacks but we have enough firepower to at least make the quarters..as for my fellow english supporters criticizing our national team..SHAME ON YOU!!!

W.A.S.P. repped this.
  6. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Panama 0 - 0 Northern Ireland.

7. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    Well Northern Ireland is not a team to be underestimated. They gave Switzerland a tough time in the playoffs, and the Swiss only went through by a huge controversial penalty.

After all Northern Ireland did impressively in Euro 2016 by beating Ukraine, and putting up fights with Germany and Poland. Then they gave France a really tough time. They have good chemistry and are shaped well defensively.

8. HansWorldCup

HansWorldCup Member

Roma
    Sweden
    Jan 10, 2018
    Nope, not Northern Ireand. Republic Ireland.

9. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    Oh yeah against France that was Republic of Ireland, but the rest I mentioned were Northern Ireland. But still Northern Ireland did give Wales a great fight in the knockouts of Euro 2016.

TheHitman47 and HansWorldCup repped this.
  10. HansWorldCup

HansWorldCup Member

Roma
    Sweden
    Jan 10, 2018
    Yepp! :)

11. timbrayton732

timbrayton732 New Member

Liverpool FC
    England
    May 11, 2018
    I don't think that it's a group of death. But I hope that England will be a winner in this group. Yes, maybe they don't show their best game https://777score.co.uk/football/teams/england-1385 but I think their nowadays players are really great so they can show us something.

12. HansWorldCup

HansWorldCup Member

Roma
    Sweden
    Jan 10, 2018
    Irony :)

13. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    #213 Kamtedrejt, May 30, 2018
    Last edited: May 30, 2018
    Tunisia showed against Portugal that they are not afraid of big names. I was impressed that irrespective of the opponent they played their game as always. High pressing and quick transitions when they retained the ball. They will be a tricky opponent for Belguim and England. They can go toe to toe with them. I'm sure Tunisia will do well in Russia and will surprise many who haven't watched them in recent time.

It's a pity they won't have their star player Msakni and forward Khenissi who are ruled out injured. I give them still a serious chance to advance but the chances could have been even better without these injury worries.

TheHitman47, Naffster and HansWorldCup repped this.
  14. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    Panama looks like the best bet to leave Russia without scoring a goal. There are a few other outsiders out there but in contrary to Panama they have some firepower upfront. Scoring a goal and earning maybe a draw would be certainly considered a success in Panama.

TheHitman47 and HansWorldCup repped this.
  15. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    #215 unclesox, May 30, 2018
    Last edited: May 30, 2018
    Paul Calixte repped this.
  16. Naffster

Naffster New Member

AC Milan
    Tunisia
    May 29, 2018
    As a Tunisian I was so disappointed that Msakni got hurt, I was so looking forward to watching him play and finally show the world that he is one of the best footballer in the world and maybe transfer to a big team in England, but he is still young and hopefully we get to see him at the next World Cup.

17. DumitruAurel

DumitruAurel New Member

Nov 18, 2017
    Portugal could have scored 4-0 against Tunisia and was a friendly.
    Tunisia and Panama both are weak sides, Belgium and England should qualify comfortably.

18. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    What game were you watching? Definitely not Portugal - Tunisia from a few days back.

19. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Belgium is one of those teams that looks better on paper than in reality. There's something slightly off with them, like France has been for a couple of decades. You never know when they're going to show up "for real" and when they're going to suffer to win a game that should have been easier.

England, on the other hand, are experiencing a revival. Bona fide youth talent, and a shift in their style towards a more continental approach. I've never liked English football, not in their Premiership, not in their NT, but this time I feel the winds are changing.

Hopefully, England and Russia never meet: the battle in the streets could be very ugly.

Belgium 3 - 0 Panama
    Tunisia 0 - 2 England

Belgium 3 - 1 Tunisia
    England 4 - 0 Panama

England 2 - 1 Belgium
    Tunisia 1 - 1 Panama

England 9
    Belgium 6
    Tunisia 1/-4
    Panama 1/-7

roverman repped this.
  20. Naffster

Naffster New Member

AC Milan
    Tunisia
    May 29, 2018
    Don’t you think you’re giving England too much credit? I mean they won most of their qualifying games and friendlies with a score of 1-0, what makes you thinking they’re going to start scoring 2 goals minimum per game?

21. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I just have an overall feeling that football is having a big tactical revival there. It's more of a hunch. I wish I could feel more optimistic about Tunisia, but World Cups in Europe are tough for everybody who comes from outside.

Naffster and roverman repped this.
  22. TheHitman47

TheHitman47 Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC

This is will be a low scoring affair and I don't think England will get 9 point, neither do I think Tunisia will get out of this world Cup with only 1 point. I can see Panama stealing a point off of one of England or Belgium.

Naffster repped this.
  23. Raed72

Raed72 New Member

Barcelona
    Russia
    Jun 1, 2018
    Hi All,
    I have 2 category 1 tickets for England VS Tunisia
    anyone interested please get in touch with me, I will be in Russia starting from the 12th of June

24. AdamFAN

AdamFAN New Member

Manchester United
    Poland
    May 30, 2018
    I have 2 tix for England - Belgium cat. 3 and I cannot attend the match. Anyone interested in these tickets?

25. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Anyone watch the Tunisia - Turkey game?

Stats suggest Tunisia was better, but they did play some 30 minutes 11 vs 10. Turkey equalized with the last play of the game.